Multiple queries/proposals at one press

Status
Not open for further replies.

susannahmi

Question for those with multiple works on their plate....

A proposal of mine was recently rejected at a press, but the editor was very cool and gave some substantial feedback to me which will be helpful when submitting elsewhere. My question is, would it ever be appropriate to re-submit this basic idea, revised, to that same editor? Is it appropriate to ask if I can? Also, would there be any appropriate wait time between submitting a query on a different topic to the same press?

Thanks!
-S-

aka eraser

I think if the first editor was enthusiastic about your idea s/he would have invited a resubmittal, so I'd cross that place off your list for idea #1.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding when to approach them with another one. I'd recommend waiting a while though. If it lands on the same editor's desk tomorrow s/he might think "Hmm, susanna wasn't too married to that first book if she's already pitching another."

That's just a gut feeling.

Mridu

I agree with eraser on both counts. You never want to let an editor think that (a) you're desperate and (b) you're smothering him or her.

Think of it like a first date. Act cool and don't call too soon. ;)

maestrowork

I agree. If the editor was enthusiastic enough to take on your project, he would have asked for revision and submission or taken you on and worked with on these revisions. If he said "I pass anyway and good luck" I think it's not a good idea to resubmit.

If the editor said "show me something else" then show him something else. Don't show him the same thing, even if reworked.

NomadPress

I agree with everyone on point number one. I often try to give authors feedback on where else they might want to submit, or explain why their manuscript isn't right for us--but if I have rejected the manuscript, then I've rejected the manuscript: it's never going to be right, and unless I specifically ask them to resubmit with changes, I really don't want to see the same work back again.

However, if I tell a person that they are welcome to submit new queries, manuscripts, or proposals to me, I mean it--and I don't care how quickly they get back to me. If they have a great manuscript or idea that fits more appropriately into our list, then I'm all for hearing it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.