Techno-thriller

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
There's almost no reputable agents that handle techno-thrillers. I have written good queries and have received good feedback from agents about the query and the subject matter. However, they are just not interested in the genre. You may say, well, why did you send it to them? Techno-thriller is not a categorical genre that agents list, whether in query.com, Writers Market or whatever. I know techno-thriller writers exist and thrive and that it is an actual genre, albiet hybrid. My question is, should I disguise my genre, sell it to an agent as "science fiction", slant my query to embrace the more sci-fi aspects of my novel? Get the book in their hands and have them do the same with the publisher? That's about all I'm seeing right now.
On the other hand, it is pure techno-thriller. The very definition fits my work to a tee. I just don't think I can make a sale unless I bend the rules a tad.
What do you agents think? Would you feel betrayed if someone got an above average novel into your hands through subversive means? Isn't it all about how you sell it anyway?
God knows I've watched a thousand comedies that weren't funny. Someone had to tweak some definitions for that.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Rather than dealing with genre terms, I would try and find a book in the techno-thriller genre that has sold extremely well and compare your book to that in a query.

For me, Joseph Finder immediately comes to mind when someone talks about this genre. (Sounds like you might be leaning more into the William Gibson/Neal Stephenson field when you mention science fiction, however.)

If your book is Joseph Finder-esque (I highly recommend Paranoia if you haven't read him), then I would mention him. Finder is now one of the wealthiest authors in America.

Last edited:

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, but I think you miss the point. From what I have read "techno-thrillers" have become a bit of a dirty word amongst publishers. They don't want to go anywhere near it. However, if I sell it as sci-fi it may have a chance... I think. That's my question. I mean, the book is written. It's done. It's good and I'm not going to abandon it. I just need a way to sell it to agents and publishers.
Techno-thrillers are primarily defined as near future sci-fi. There's more to it, but that's the heart of it. So, should I focus on this aspect rather the broader definition? Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission. Once I have my foot in the door, I'm a step closer to getting inside.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Query sci-fi agents and emphasize the SF nature of the book. Query thriller agents and emphasize the thriller nature of the book. Query commercial fiction agents, too.

I honestly don't know what category best fits my book. I queried a lot of agents as a thriller, unless they were more into mystery. Then I called it a mystery. Then I queried agents who said they accepted commercial fiction. One agent said he liked what he'd read, but it sounded more like sci-fi and he didn't rep that. My agent has sent it on to sci-fi editors. It's set in a dystopic near future. It's not tech-heavy. My main character is like an assassin, and it's definitely not a straight-up mystery.

As long as you're not calling it a romantic comedy, you should be okay. Oh, and if "techno-thriller" is a bit of a dirty word, just call it a thriller.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not totally positive what the definition of techno-thriller is although I may also be trying to market one. Mine is heavy science, near future. I'm looking now at what's called "speculative fiction" as a possibility for marketing. Sci-fi is no where close to appropriate for mine; thriller is marginal (the ending is a thriller). So speculative fiction may be another possibility. Puma

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
You might try posting your question in Nathan Bransford's thread. I don't know if he reps thrillers, but he might have some insight, and he might overlook this thread otherwise.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'd consider querying agents who rep thrillers (a genre of which techno-thrillers are a sub-category) and agents who represent science fiction (abbreviated SF, not sci fi; the latter is considered demeaning). Tailor your query accordingly. You might try an experimental mailing to, say, five agents in each category, and see what kind of response you get; this might give you a better idea of where to focus your efforts.

- Victoria

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's almost no reputable agents that handle techno-thrillers. I have written good queries and have received good feedback from agents about the query and the subject matter. However, they are just not interested in the genre. You may say, well, why did you send it to them? Techno-thriller is not a categorical genre that agents list, whether in query.com, Writers Market or whatever. I know techno-thriller writers exist and thrive and that it is an actual genre, albiet hybrid. My question is, should I disguise my genre, sell it to an agent as "science fiction", slant my query to embrace the more sci-fi aspects of my novel? Get the book in their hands and have them do the same with the publisher? That's about all I'm seeing right now.
On the other hand, it is pure techno-thriller. The very definition fits my work to a tee. I just don't think I can make a sale unless I bend the rules a tad.
What do you agents think? Would you feel betrayed if someone got an above average novel into your hands through subversive means? Isn't it all about how you sell it anyway?
God knows I've watched a thousand comedies that weren't funny. Someone had to tweak some definitions for that.

So don't call it a techno-thriller in your query. Just say thriller. I'm not sure trickery is ever a good idea. There are quite a number of techno-thriller novels out there, and agents are handling them.

I would suggest not looking for agents who handle techno-trhillers, but looking for agents who handle writers who write techno-thrillers.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I'm not totally positive what the definition of techno-thriller is although I may also be trying to market one. Mine is heavy science, near future. I'm looking now at what's called "speculative fiction" as a possibility for marketing. Sci-fi is no where close to appropriate for mine; thriller is marginal (the ending is a thriller). So speculative fiction may be another possibility. Puma

"Speculative fiction" is often just an umbrella term for fantasy and science fiction. Near future is by definition SF (please, not sci-fi, unless you're talking about a media tie-in!), but a lot of stuff that's technically SF slips under the wire into mainstream these days: alt history, near-future dystopia (e.g. "The Handmaid's Tale")...

I would say, look for agents who represent mainly commercial fiction but who don't specify "no SF" in their guidelines (in my experience, people either love or loathe SF&F, and the latter will balk at the first sign of anything remotely otherworldly). Describe it as something like "near-future thriller" in your query and let them make their own minds up.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
You might pop off a snail mail to my agent, Jake Elwell of Harold Ober Associates. He handles thrillers, including those with a strongly technical bent, though no science fiction. You can find his vitals in AgentQuery.com. And I don't think there is any shortage of publishers willing to publish in this vein if the book simply kicks. A lot of them don't though. Easy on the quantum gobbledygook.