Free Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
This is sort of a spin-off to the "Stupid things non-writers say" thread.

When I talk to people about my novel, they'll congatulate me, of course. They'll give the inevitable, "That's awesome."

And then they'll say, almost unfailingly, "So when do I get my signed copy?" The car salesman I bought my car from this weekend went even further with that comment: "Be sure to send a free copy my way!"

I bet I've had 200 people say that to me in the past month.

Of course I smile and say, "It's on its way!" If it's a family member, obviously, it probably will be. But most of the time it's strangers who say this.

What is it with free books? I'd be glad to sign a copy for these folks, but I don't think it's that. They seem to want that free book.

Maybe this is terrible, but here's what I'm thinking when they say this: PLEASE BUY IT.

It's weird. Sort of reminds me of the story Curtis Sittenfeld told about Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon. She said that he wanted a copy of her novel Prep; however, instead of buying it, he called her publisher and had them mail him a free copy.

And he's a millionaire.

Do we have a phobia in this country about paying for books?

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Most of them are kidding, I'm sure. Let's hope anyway.

A few people have said something similar to me and I'd just smile and say: "My signature will be free but you gotta shell out for the book. Call me when you have your copy."

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The next time a salesman asks for their free copy, you should say, "Sure, I'll add you to the list as soon as you give me a free <insert item they are selling here>."

When they give you a funny look just add, "Hey, I'm trying to make money, same as you."

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I think people just assume that the author gets pallets full of free books from the publisher, so they think hey, instead of storing them in your garage, give one to me!

You could always say, "Sorry, I already promised my free copy to my mother."

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
My friends say this, and I haven't even published it yet! I just tell them that, when the time comes, I expect them to pick up their copy at the bookstore.

And I'd sign it for them, of course. :tongue

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Free book

Within obvious limitations, give darned near anyone who asks a free copy. There is no better publicity. They proudly show the book to everyone they meet, precisely because it is signed. It gives them a chance to say they know a writer. And it gives you good will and cheap publicity.

Not being generous with free, signed copies is being penny wise and pound foolish.

The one thing I insist on is getting a large number of free copies from the publisher, and the promise of more if needed.

The more people who read this book, the more who will buy the next one.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Within obvious limitations, give darned near anyone who asks a free copy. There is no better publicity. They proudly show the book to everyone they meet, precisely because it is signed. It gives them a chance to say they know a writer. And it gives you good will and cheap publicity..

I get 35 copies, and there are more than 35 people in my family. We're Catholic. :)

My agency, Folio, has an author's page where they suggest getting business cards and handing them out. I've never had a business card, but I may have to invest in a stack.

Anyway, enough about me.

I intended this thread to be more about the state of books and book-buying. I bet if we were inventors and had invented, say, a lawnmower attachment, people wouldn't ask for a free thingamajig. They'd probably say, "Where can I buy one?"

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
That's funny. I think it does come from the misguided notion that the author automatically gets a metric butt-load of free books.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I usually just turn it into a joke --- "$19.95, baby!" -- and people laugh. (These are not friends, professional colleagues, etc., among whom I'll happily divide the few free copies I get.)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
My friends say this, and I haven't even published it yet! I just tell them that, when the time comes, I expect them to pick up their copy at the bookstore.

And I'd sign it for them, of course. :tongue

My friends are eagerly waiting for my novel to get published. They are planning on me becoming rich and famous so they can steal my stuff and sell it on eBay. They've already started divvying up who gets to steal what. One is quite distressed that I'm currently between pets. My cat was the main item on his list.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
My friends are eagerly waiting for my novel to get published. They are planning on me becoming rich and famous so they can steal my stuff and sell it on eBay. They've already started divvying up who gets to steal what. One is quite distressed that I'm currently between pets. My cat was the main item on his list.

If you get really famous, he won't even need the whole cat. Just a hairball.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Just grin and say, "Support your local author!"
I'm getting just one free copy, and it's mine, thank you very much!
After I sell a few, I'll reinvest and give copies to select people, like my dad.
I wish I could distribute free copies for promotion, but I don't think I'll have the cash right away.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't mind giving out free books. What I do mind is people who think they're entitled to it. I mean, c'mon, even my parents offered to to buy it. And they did -- they bought three copies. :) My cousins, on the other hand, would absolutely not buy it, and then bitched at my parents saying they should get a free copy because they were my favorite cousins. So much for support.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oddly everyone I've met has asked for a signed copy, but are determined to buy it themselves either online or bookstore, kind of almost as a thing of pride "Hey I know this author" kind of thing. If there is ever any doubt, I clear it up right away, and I don't feel bad doing so. As long as it isn't done in a way that makes the other person feel stupid, they are after all being supportive in asking!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just grin and say, "Support your local author!"
I'm getting just one free copy, and it's mine, thank you very much!
After I sell a few, I'll reinvest and give copies to select people, like my dad.
I wish I could distribute free copies for promotion, but I don't think I'll have the cash right away.

One free copy? I might be careful at handing them out, as well. But one is not the norm by any stretch. I get twenty-five up front, and twenty-five more for the asking, plus the ability to give the publisher a list of reviewers that might have been missed, and copies are sent to these by the publisher.

But free copies do build sales, and I think any writer who can possibly afford it should buy as many copies as need at the author's discount.

You are not usually supposed to sell any free copies you're given, anyway. These free copies are for your own collection, or for promotion, not for sale.

It's nice to have people go and buy your book, and those who can and will, should. But it's far, far better to give out free copies to those who aren't itching to go buy the book.

It's even a good idea to save back half a dozen copies to leave lying around in Starbucks and the like. The more people who read your book, the better the chance you this book, and particularly the next book, will sell.

huggy4ever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleknudson.com
Within obvious limitations, give darned near anyone who asks a free copy. There is no better publicity. They proudly show the book to everyone they meet, precisely because it is signed. It gives them a chance to say they know a writer. And it gives you good will and cheap publicity.

Not being generous with free, signed copies is being penny wise and pound foolish.

The one thing I insist on is getting a large number of free copies from the publisher, and the promise of more if needed.

The more people who read this book, the more who will buy the next one.

Hi Jamesaritchie,
You always have wonderful advice. One smart individual!

Status
Not open for further replies.