Status
Not open for further replies.

Mags

hanging out in near-permanent lurkdom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tilneysandtrapdoors.com
I'm currently reading My Lady Ludlow by Elizabeth Gaskell and came across the following inspiring passage, which I thought I would share with my fellow writers:

You know, perhaps, that I was nearly being an authoress once, and that seems as if I was destined to 'employ my time in writing.'"

"No, indeed; we must return to the subject of the clerkship afterwards, if you please. An authoress, Miss Galindo! You surprise me!"

"But, indeed, I was. All was quite ready. Doctor Burney used to teach me music: not that I ever could learn, but it was a fancy of my poor father's. And his daughter wrote a book, and they said she was but a very young lady, and nothing but a music-master's daughter; so why should not I try?"

"Well?"

"Well! I got paper and half-a-hundred good pens, a bottle of ink, all ready--"

"And then--"

"O, it ended in my having nothing to say, when I sat down to write. But sometimes, when I get hold of a book, I wonder why I let such a poor reason stop me. It does not others."
Just remember Miss Galindo's wise words next time you hit the wall... :D

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, James Fenimore Cooper got into writing after telling his family he could do better than some drivel he was reading, and, even with all the stuff that's been said about his books, people are still reading them.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Good post. Well thought-out. Why should a person let Writer's Block stop them from writing?

I suffered from Writer's Block a couple days ago. It was not fun for me in the least bit. Even so, I plugged along and, following my outline, made a decent chapter for my WIP.

Some will say Writer's Block does not exist. Yet after having had the trouble I had the other day, I can say pretty readily that there is such a thing. The thing is, however, are we going to stop because we don't have any words ready-made, or are we going to sit down in the chair and do the best we can with what we have?

This is especially important if one is writing their First Draft. The idea is to get the thoughts on paper, not to make everything perfect with the first try. That's what subsequent drafts are for.

I like that quote. It makes good sense.

:)

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I say a lot of things badly.

Er... that didn't come out the way I'd intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.