PDA

View Full Version : Freelance Writers and Printing

theengel
05-15-2007, 01:04 AM
HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON PRINTING PER MONTH?

Do you print while you do online research (as opposed to reading off the screen)?

Do you buy refilled / generic cartridges?

Do you use a laser printer or inkjet (please don't say you use dot matrix)?

What Model?

If printing was cheaper would you print more?

Have you ever put off a submission because you didn't have enough money for ink/supplies?

Anything else you want to add?

theengel
05-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Oh come on...I know some of you have printing issues. PLEASE give me some info??

johnnysannie
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Do you print while you do online research (as opposed to reading off the screen)?
Very seldom - I take notes rather than print

I did twice but never again. Too messy, never was the same kind of print, not worth it

Inkjet - no dot matrix since the 70's

What Model?

I have three - HP 3820, HP 1200 and the one I'm now using, Lexmark 1240

Probably
Have you ever put off a submission because you didn't have enough money for ink/supplies?
Yes, in the past when my kids were smaller and money was tight. I still prefer online submissions if available

There's my two cents worth

zenwriter
05-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Pennies – I print only a handful of pages each month.

Rarely – Mostly, I just cut and paste into a Word document. Makes it easier to search for specific information when I want it.

No. I did that a few years ago, and the ink spilled out all over my Lexmark printer. I never want that sort of clean up job again.

Inkjet. I like that they’re inexpensive and flexible (good for B & W and photos, etc.). Plus, inkjets are small enough to fit into my small workspace.

What Model?

HP 5940

No. The problem for me is space – once I print something, I have to file it away so that I can find it again. I find that to be too much of a hassle. I just save everything on CDs and try to keep my CDs very well labeled. I print as little as I can.

I’ve put off a submission because I couldn’t buy US stamps without spending a lot of cash at the Canadian Post office – the person I spoke with said I had to buy $100 of US stamps all at once and I only needed one stamp.

I’m not sure if you count this as a printing cost, but I do find that I spend more on faxes than printing. I don’t have a fax machine and an average run to the copy center costs a few dollars, which adds up over the year.

Hope this helps!

RainbowDragon
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
[quote=theengel;1332756]HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON PRINTING PER MONTH?

Ink (see below) Paper: I use both sides of paper for drafts, submit and query by e-mail whenever possible. The postage costs are higher than printing costs. Probably spend under $5/month for paper on average.

Generally no

$20 will last a year or longer - generic laser toner refills from e-bay

What Model?

Samsung

No - try to save paper where possible for the trees.

No

If I got more requests for my novel maybe the paper costs would go up, but I wouldn't mind!

Tish Davidson
05-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Depends on what I am writing. I have one major client who insists on print-outs of all research materials. When I am working for this client, I spend a lot on printing. When I am not, I spend a lot less.

Yes, see above, plus I like to read through all my research material at one time before I begin an article. This helps me organize my thoughts, figure out what to emphasize, be alert to any controversies in the topic and know before I write whether I have info gaps that need filled.

No. Tried it. Results were unsatisfactory. But I do buy my black cartridges as a 4-pack at Costco which is the cheapest way I have found to buy them.

inkjet, set to draft quality black only. I rarely do color printing, and draft quality makes the ink go farther.

What Model?

Cannon i550. I don't especially like it.

No. I print what I feel I need to print. Cost is not a limitation.

No. Postage costs are a bigger issue when I have to make postal mail submissions.

In both 2005 and 2006 my total business expenses including paper, ink, professional dues, advertising, computer connection charges, office telephone line, work-related books, and miscellaneous stuff like auto travel expenses and buying an interviewee coffee, but excluding taxes and social security were 10.9% of my income. I was surprised at the consistency of the percentage because the absolute amounts of both income and expenses varied by a large factor. I think you have to look at the total cost of writing and not just focus on one thing like ink.

I hesitated to answer these questions because you sound like you are trying to drum up business for refilled/generic cartridges. Why are you focusing on ink and printing costs?

theengel
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry to sound that way...I wanted to write an article on how you could eliminate printing costs...just a short article, so it doesn't really warrant the research for all the freelance writer's costs. And I wanted to find out how much of a call there is for the article.

While I used to be in this industry, I no longer am. But I know a LOT about it still. And I certainly wasn't going to try to make a push for any company.

My angle was that certain printers do well with refills, and certain ones don't. Also, certain printers are 'safe' to buy used from places like ebay, and certain ones aren't worth the headache. What's more, certain printers are easier for someone to fix themselves.

TristanParrish
05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Very little; I usually buy a new black cartridge every half year

Yes, I have a hard time reading things on the screen--I find it tiring on my eyes; plus, I can carry my research around with me, whereas I can't carry my computer

Yes, if they're available.

Inkjet

What Model?
hpDeskJet940c

Yes. Black ink cartridges for me cost $20 - $25. Colour cartridges hover around $50. Consequently, I haven't used colour in years.

Not yet

Anything else you want to add?[/quote]

talkwrite
05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Freelance Writers and Printing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can go through a cartidge in a month.

Actually it is the proofreading that I have to print. Most of us proofreaders and translators don't proof from the screen.

I have but when the spills and smdging happened once I stopped.

HPdeskjet- Inkjet
What Model?

Yes- I kinda have to so that would be nice.

No. I plan ahead and have at least one in stock.

Sohia Rose
05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
About $30

Do you print while you do online research (as opposed to reading off the screen)? No, highly unlikely, unless I'd like to read it in transit.

Do you buy refilled / generic cartridges? My husband bought this once and it jammed our printer, not to mention the ink was crap!

Do you use a laser printer or inkjet (please don't say you use dot matrix)? Inkjet.

What Model? Epson.

No. I try to print less because I'd like to save as many trees as possible. Plus, we recycle paper.

Have you ever put off a submission because you didn't have enough money for ink/supplies? No. But I've had to put off printing until my husband went and bought the ink.

I once started doing research about a "paperless society." I'm not sure if we have one.

theengel
05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I once started doing research about a "paperless society." I'm not sure if we have one.

Yeah...my research shows that paper consumption goes up every year. The further we dive into the electronic age, the more we print things out. That'll actually be the opening point of my article.

BTW...if you have any old links laying around concerning the research you did on paperless society, I'd love to see them.

Sohia Rose
05-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah...my research shows that paper consumption goes up every year. The further we dive into the electronic age, the more we print things out. That'll actually be the opening point of my article.

BTW...if you have any old links laying around concerning the research you did on paperless society, I'd love to see them.

Oooooh, I did a scan through of all my files and couldn't find the research that I had done (over two years ago), because I never finished the article. Then I remebered writing it in one of my paper journals that I used to keep ideas in.

But I do remember talking to someone at the EPA to get some statistics about trees, and if the number of trees used for paper had been reduced. I also remember talking to a couple of computer experts to see if the use of paper had been reduced in their office. It hadn't. In fact, many of them said that paper usage had gone up! Shameful, isn't it? :)

theengel
05-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Canon did some kind of study on paper consumption. That was back when I was a Canon tech, but I can't find it anywhere.

kg_crow
05-24-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't print out very much paper for my writing projects. I have many word.docs in many, many files. I have a favorites list of easily 1000 links and I will cut my wrists if I lose it.

They used to give away bubble jets just to get you hooked on the ink carts.

Cost of printing one page: (approx)

Bubble jet............. $.35 to .50
Laser printer.......... $.02 to .005

One cart per month for a year, ($30 x 12 = $360) pays for a deluxe laser printer.

Sample costs: http://www.pcmag.com/products/0,,qn=All+Laser+Printers,00.asp

I have a color laser printer (Minolta 2300W. $600 new) I used when I was running a charity. I've had it 5 years and no problems whatsoever. A b&w laser will cost a great deal less to operate than a bubble jet, and the ms you send out will look much better, IMHO.

JoniBGoode
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM

I’ve put off a submission because I couldn’t buy US stamps without spending a lot of cash at the Canadian Post office – the person I spoke with said I had to buy $100 of US stamps all at once and I only needed one stamp.
[/quote]

Zen, that's absolutely insane. If that ever happens again, let me know. I will mail you some stamps.

JoniBGoode
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Cost of printing one page: (approx)

Bubble jet............. $.35 to .50
Laser printer.......... $.02 to .005

This is SO true.

I write full-time, and spend less than $10 per month on printing.

I have a Brother MFC 8220 All-in-one. It prints, faxes, scans and copies. It's great. I've had it about 2 years, and I've only purchased one toner cartridge for it. (The toner cartridges are expensive, but I buy reconditioned ones on ebay.)

For text, the print quality is far above an inkjet.

I used to have a color inkjet printer when I was a student. I found that when I used refilled cartridges, I had to buy a new printer every semester. When I stuck to new cartridges, I only had to buy a new printer once a year.

I find myself printing less than I expected. Two years ago I bought 3 cases of paper for my business. (It was a buy-two-get-one-free deal.) I'm on the last case now. I often cut & paste research onto a new document, so everything is in one place. Then, I just work from the screen. I only print out research occasionally.

Normally I edit shorter articles on screen. I do print out longer documents and edit them with a red pen. I prefer to save files on my hard drive, rather than saving printed copies in a file cabinet.

Virtually all of my submissions are via email, so printing and postage are not issues.