There goes the "Oh bloody puh-leeze" alarm again . . .

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ah.... that's b*llsh¡t. What? So we aren't allowed to do historicals depicting black slaves 'cause some people might find it offensive? What's going to happen to the right of free speech if everyone goes out of their way to make sure no one is offended? People seriously need to grow up.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
At some point in our near future either the Sensitivists will completely eliminate the freedom of speech, or else we will remember that we have the God-given RIGHT to say whatever we want, offensive or not.

I will always fight on God's side, in this one.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Political correctness is getting out of hand. This is why no one should hear about a project until it is finished. If you don't like it, don't see it. *rolleyes*

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My "Oh F**KSNOT!" moment in this? Two of my characters are named - so help me - Maddy and Tianna. And Tianna is from New Orleans.

Whom do I smackdown?

Edit - and given that Maddy is also my nickname in real life, I was kind of hoping they'd keep it....

Editedit - I had the names first - I have proof. So there, Disney!
zing.gif

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
A local radio host liked to emulate Bugs Bunny by calling idiots 'maroons'. She did this for years, and just a few months ago received an email revealing that the word 'maroon' was a derogatory word to describe an escaped slave from Jamaica. She thought it was just another take on 'moron'.

It wasn't implied that she should stop using the word - the person just wanted to make her aware of the word's usage. It caused a temporary speed wobble, but I'm sure she continues to use it, in the context she intended. Bugs Bunny.

I wonder how many innocent words we use offend people?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
At some point in our near future either the Sensitivists will completely eliminate the freedom of speech, or else we will remember that we have the God-given RIGHT to say whatever we want, offensive or not.

I will always fight on God's side, in this one.

I may be an atheist, but in this case, I am SO on God's side.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many innocent words we use offend people?

Often it's the intent that matters, and people seriously need to learn to take a bit of piss.

Kiwis and Aussies call English people "Poms", originally a derogatory term derived from "Prisoners of Mother England". A lot of my golfing buddies are English and I call them all, like, "Peter the Pom my old mate! Ready to go?". He likes it, and we really enjoy each others company. The way I mean it is as a term of endearment.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Whatever happened to common sense?
Sensitivists have been teaching your children for a generation that they're victims. Why so surprised now? Common sense went out the window years ago, a little at a time.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Kiwis and Aussies call English people "Poms", originally a derogatory term derived from "Prisoners of Mother England". A lot of my golfing buddies are English and I call them all, like, "Peter the Pom my old mate! Ready to go?". He likes it, and we really enjoy each others company. The way I mean it is as a term of endearment.

Exactly. I've got a really good friend who calls me whore all the time. I, in turn, call him whore. He's my whore and I'm his whore. The term isn't nice, it's quite derogatory, but we mean it as endearment, and while it freaks other people out neither of us is offended when we call each other that. I don't see anything wrong with me (and I just officially recieved my slut status! I sold myself for a beer! I'm the newest member to the group of sluts! (ok so maybe we have issues)).

The point here is that people take offense over nothing. Words by themselves cannot offend anyone. The intent with which they are spoken and the reaction towards hearing them is what makes them insulting.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I actually had to look up why 'frog' would be derogatory to the French, and I must admit, I still don't get it.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Words by themselves cannot offend anyone. The intent with which they are spoken and the reaction towards hearing them is what makes them insulting.

Well, here's a really interesting one...

OK, as a white Kiwi I could be called a "pakeha" (which is fine, it's a Maori word) or a "honkey" (which is a supposedly a derogatory slur).

A friend of mine recently made a point with which I tended to agree. He said, "You know, when ******, the radical activist Member of Parliament, says the word pakeha it makes my skin crawl. It's said with a venom, and may as well be stated clearly as 'white colonial pricks who should all pack up and fuck off back to where they come from.'" By the way, I have a pretty good understanding of NZ history and the injustices done, and actually have a great deal of sympathy for most views. But.

Yet if a Maori person said to me "Hey honkey, what's up?" I'd laugh.

The crap that these pink-shirted, grey-shoed, mohair-jerseyed, wank-obsessed, politically correct social-engineers come up with, it's just ludicrous. People will insult people however they choose to do it, and at the end of the day you can pump however many billions of public dollars you like into pissing around with semantics... it just ain't going to change a thing. You either love your brother, or not.

** Whoops, thought I'd better edit before I get taken before the Human Rights commission by some pink-shirted... etc.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I actually had to look up why 'frog' would be derogatory to the French, and I must admit, I still don't get it.

Me neither.

People will insult people however they choose to do it, and at the end of the day you can pump however many billions of public dollars you like into pissing around with semantics... it just ain't going to change a thing. You either love your brother, or not.

Exactly. Some of the worst ways to insult people do not include insulting words at all.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I swear there are people paid good wages to sit around and think up the next thing to fuss about. Get over it and yourself. Something can only offend you if you let it.

And more to the point, if you don't like it, nobody forces you to watch the movie/continue reading the book/continue having the conversation. It's all about a person sitting around saying they are going to get upset about it and make a big deal.

NOTE: Just to CMA, there are exceptions as with anything in life.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Also, some of this stuff isn't offensive at all, just a good laugh. The people coming up with this stuff must be out of it on acid or something, surely?

Former Labour MP Lesley Soper calling for maiden speeches to be renamed.

Banning (in Ireland) the word "brainstorming" because the term might offend people with epilepsy as well those with brain tumors or brain injuries (that one's got to be a joke?)

Advocating for bullet points to be called dot points as bullets have a militaristic connotation.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
At some point in our near future either the Sensitivists will completely eliminate the freedom of speech, or else we will remember that we have the RIGHT to say whatever we want, offensive or not.

I will always fight on the side of right, in this one.
Much better. Now I can agree with you.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's more offensive to the frogs. I'm surprised they haven't sent off a letter to Disney.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Tell me this isn't humiliating? If I were a frog, I'd be writing lots of letters and forming my own grass roots frog movement. No frog should have to go though this type of embarrassment for any price.

D56%20Frog%20Prince%20Resin%20B.jpg

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
OOOOOO Kristie said the fing word! I luv that pic Spooky. He might be humiliated, but he's got a great outfit on!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
OOOOOO Kristie said the fing word!
I'm just trying to help her prepare for work tomorrow.

911 operator: 911. What's your emergency.
frantic woman: It's terrible. They're everywhere. Help us. Please.
911 operator: Calm down. Just tell me what's the problem. Who's everywhere and what are they doing?
frantic woman: It can't be happening. We signed a deal. We had an agreement. They're coming closer. I'm afraid.
911 operator: Who's coming closer. Why are you afraid. Please state the nature of your emergency.
frantic woman: It's the frogs. They are carrying picket signs and making threating gestures.
911 operator: Ma'am, I'm sorry there's nothing we can do unless you're in actual danger. I think you need to call an exterminator if you have problems with frogs.
frantic woman: But you don't understand. They demand a new contract and are threatening to take over Disneyland Studios unless we agree.
911 operator: Yes, now I understand. Maybe if you didn't make them wear those silly outfits there wouldn't be a problem. I suggest you make a new deal with them and not use the emergency line for public relations problems.

click

frantic woman: Hello? Hello? Oh god, they're storming the walls.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...I think I've already talked to that lady. Last time she called to tell me the rabbits had stolen her snow and the refridgerator light guy (you know, the one that turns the light on?) had stolen all the pens in her house.

(true story...yeah, really)