I Can't Believe I Did That...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
A few weeks ago, I sprained my wrist putting my son into his car seat. A few years ago, I broke three toes trying to keep my cat from going down the stairs. And that got me to thinking of all the weird ways I've gotten hurt - from minor oops to "We need to go to ER NOW."

So, tell me...

In what weird ways have you hurt yourself???

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I've broken my pinky toe three times (the same one):

1) Getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I walked into a closed sliding door--it was dark, okay?

2) My daughter was sick and vomiting on the hallway floor (wood); in trying to get a towel down, I slipped on the vomit and slid on one foot into a wall.

3) I was going out to the pool and kicked the raised brick border by accident.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I was hurriedly putting the perishable groceries away and decided to open the kitchen window. The heavy storm window glass fell onto my right index finger. The finger was broken, crushed, and split open. The first aid and police finished putting my groceries away for me. I was more concerned about that. Funny the things you think of when in pain....

Reaction score
I jammed my own head in a door once.

I even tried replicating the incident 'cause I thought, "How the f...?"

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
In what weird ways have you hurt yourself???

You asked...

School bus accident. Jacked up my neck.

Roller coaster malfunction. Whiplash that went all the way down my spine, a concussion that permanently damaged my vision, and an opportunity to sue a certain theme park (which I didn't).

My horse, on separate occasions, managed to crack one of my fillings, break my glasses in half, almost break my nose (at least twice), and bruise my cheekbone. Other horses have kicked me, stepped on me (including my hand at least once, my leg once, feet numerous times), bitten me (I have twice been pulled partway over a door by a horse), and the typical bumps and falls that occur when one rides horses on a regular basis (though I am very hard to throw: I've fallen 5 times in my life)

My orthodontist dislocated my jaw. Injury was discovered 2 years, almost a dozen doctors, and about 13 fillings later. (I have no enamel on my teeth because of some meds I took as a baby, so am exceptionally prone to dental issues)

My colt dumped me on my face. I had to dig my glasses out of the dirt (after I slid; my glasses were lodged in the dirt near my hip), I had vertical stripes on my face from the dirt (as in, scratches in my face), my shoulder was jammed (6 years later, I have arthritis in my shoulder), a hoof print on my leg, and I would have sworn I'd broken some ribs (my elbow was pretty much jammed into my ribs, but they were just bruised). With my history of neck and back injuries, I still wonder to this DAY how my neck/back weren't even sore.

My cat tried to kill me and knocked me down the stairs...could barely walk for two days.

Broke my tailbone roller-skating.

Pulled a tendon in my hand.

Have sprained two fingers and both thumbs, all on separate occasions.

Have had at least half a dozen concussions.

Passed out while working at the jewelry store...earned two of my aforementioned concussions on the way to the floor. Also have had a tremor in my hand ever since.

That's about it for weird injuries.

I also know someone who broke his ankle when he tripped on a handicapped ramp (and a year later broke his arm when a van backed over him on the sidewalk), my husband spiral-fractured his leg in two places while roller-skating and trying not to crash into a toddler, and my father-in-law shattered his leg chasing a shoplifter...he had done it umpteen times before, but this time, the wet grass did him in.

Like I said...you asked.

Reaction score
Okay this calls for a list. I have:
  • As aforementioned, jammed my own head in my inside front door.
  • Put a breadknife through my finger while trying to cut a petit pain.
  • Melted skin off my finger with a soldering iron.
  • Fallen downstairs while carrying a soup pan and cut my lip on the edge of it.
  • Punched myself in the chest while trying to draw a longbow.
  • Trapped a nerve in my back while brushing my hair when it was a hell of a lot longer than it is now.
  • Tried to get out of a friend's car, let go of the door and it swung back and hit me behind the ear...*tweet tweet see the pretty birdies*
Bear in mind all of this happened over a period of quite a few years. I'm not accident prone...not really. ;)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You asked...

If I were you, I'd be afraid to get out of bed in the morning.

The only thing that would get me up was the fear that a meteorite would slam into my gallbladder any moment.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Scarlet, I think you've got me beat! That was great! :D

I've lost count on the number of times I've broken toes - I've done it making the bed, rolling over them with my %&@@ chair, and various other ways.

I broke my left pinkie trying to get a cassette tape out of the stereo.

Sprained the tendons in both of my thumbs playing volleyball, Memorial Day weekend 1993. Not a good night for an ER visit.

Sprained an ankle outside of Shea Stadium in Oct. 1989 after a Rolling Stones concert - swear to God I was stone sober. Alto, I might have been stoned, considering the amount of weed in the air.

Sprained an ankle July 4th a few years ago - I fell off my shoe.

Broke my nose playing water tag.

In junior high, during a gym class flag football game, I stepped in a hole and tore up my knee. It still bothers me to this day.

And the grossest had to be when I was five. Despite many, many warning about not riding double on a bike, I did it anyway. My shoe lace got sucked in by the spokes. My foot got sucked in right behind it. My ankle got shredded and it was only by divine intervention I didn't shatter it completely.

I'm sure there are more - I have a filing cabinet of x-rays. I just have to think...

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's managed impossible self-injuries.

About a year ago, I was sitting in front of the computer for a while. And I stood up, and broke my foot. (My leg had fallen asleep and I didn't realize it).

At least my family thought it was damned funny. I did, too.

Reaction score
The punching-myself-in-the-chest thing hasn't put me off archery. I'd love to get back to it but I don't know of any ranges near where I live now.

Having said that, you all know I'd like to move so perhaps I should ask my buddies in Yorkshire to look for archery ranges near them! ;)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If I were you, I'd be afraid to get out of bed in the morning.

The only thing that would get me up was the fear that a meteorite would slam into my gallbladder any moment.

Yeah, tell me about it. And all I listed was the "weird" stuff. My husband is as accident-prone as I am, too.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The punching-myself-in-the-chest thing hasn't put me off archery. I'd love to get back to it but I don't know of any ranges near where I live now.

Having said that, you all know I'd like to move so perhaps I should ask my buddies in Yorkshire to look for archery ranges near them! ;)

Ooooo, archery. I need to find an archery range around here too. I prefer guns though...and I haven't been to the range in almost 4 years. (You would think that with my accident prone-ness, they wouldn't let me shoot...but they do...only injury I've had at the range is a minor burn when a shell casing flew out of a gun and managed to lodge itself between my glasses and my head...that kinda sucked.)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, I fell backwards over my toddler's trike and broke my sacrum. What is my sacrum, you ask? Why, it's my ass. Do you know what they can do for a broken ass? Nada.

I fell on my rollerblades and took all of the skin off my shoulder. This is what happens when you're skating, and you and your skating buddy decide to stop at a dockside bar for a beer, and you run into your sister, and you're having so much fun you order another, then it gets dark, and you decide to skate home anyway.

(The fact that I didn't wipe out until I was almost home attests to what a kickass skater I really am.)

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
Breaks...ooh, okay, will stay with the serious stuff

1. Broke arm when bucked off a horse
2. Broke ankle jumping out of moving vehicle
3. Broke shoulder tripping over curb
4. Broke nose in a fight
5. Broke fingers in same or like incidents

Too many springs and dislocations to list.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Trapped a nerve in my back while brushing my hair when it was a hell of a lot longer than it is now.

That's my favorite. Hands down. :ROFL:

I've escaped major injuries aside from a broken leg (tackled by a drunk man at a wedding) but my younger brother has:

--Stabbed himself in the leg while running with a knife.
--Shattered his elbow when his soccer cleats (sp?) got stuck in the deck.
--Cracked his head open riding one of those plastic three wheel "hot wheels" thingies.
--Broken his femur on a playground slide
--Put a nail through his foot
--Broken his nose on the bottom of a public pool
--Sliced his chin running into a table as a toddler
--Had his top lip sliced completely through to the gum underneath by a stuffed animal. It was one of those wind up varieties with the little metal tab you crank to start the music.

The list goes on and on and on.