Not open for further replies.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
And this goes for manga writers too ;).

There seems to be a lot of comic book writers on this forum. Since there are so few books on writing comics (compared to the amount of general writing advice books), I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to hash out the good and the bad.

Here are some books that I've been reading lately about creating comics. I'm also looking for suggstions (i.e. Is Reinventing Comics worth reading?)

Understanding Comics and Making Comics by Scott McCloud- Really mind-blowing stuff. Understanding Comic is a essay on comics and how they work. It's done in comic form, making it easy to illustrate McCloud's points. If you read comics, UC will change the way you do so. Making Comics is a good sequel, expending on the ideas in UC but putting them to more pratical use.

Alan Moore's Writing for Comics- Alright, this one isn't the best how-to book. It's advice is pretty basic, but if you're a big fan of Alan Moore (and really, who isn't? ;) ) then it's neat to see the behind the scenes look at how he writes comics, and that even a genius has fears and insecurities.

The DC Guide to Writing Comics- Denny O'Neil- I'm still reading this one right now. So far I'm skipping through a lot of stuff (he spends much of the first chapter defining terms that I'm already familar with), but it might be good for someone writing comics for the first time. He's also a very good writer, and writes everything in a friendly, easy to understand way.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I believe, for myself, that you can learn all you need to know reading comics. It's all there if you read with an analytical eye.

That said, I know there are some people who feel they need and benefit from the initial crutch of "how-to" books.

One of our learned colleagus here has written a "how to" book and I am sure he'd give you the information on that.

There is also a great thread (last I looked it had slipped to page two in this part of the forum) that takes apart the writing process.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Thanks!

I don't use them as a crutch, and I agree that you'll learn more just from reading comics, but I want to get my hands on anything I can that might help :).

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Wow!!! I wonder if Mr. "Axler" Ellis will drop by and give us newbies some writing tips. I'd love to hear from him.

kim

Last edited:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I probably ought to take a look at the McCloud book sometime; mostly I'm not too into guide books, but I've heard good things about that one. A question to those who've read it--does it include some of the nitty gritty technical details? Like, right now I'm twisting my hair about dumb things like, what is that font that most comics use, and, what size do they usually use it at? What size paper does the artist usually draw on? How much bleed space do I need? Alas, those kinds of details are probably more on the art side of things than the writing side...

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I think your best bet is to study comics, especially if you've already read a guide or two. What's neat is that in two of my favorite series, Sandman and Fables, occasionally they'll put out a volume that'll include the original script in the back. Those are definately worth taking a peek at, because you get to see the script side by side with the final product. 'Course, there's many different ways comic scripts are done, but it sure doesn't hurt to take a look at some people who've been very successful at it.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I mentioned this once before:

For manga writers, specifically, the "How to Draw Manga" series (don't quite remember the title), is excellent for beginners, and a great refresher for those further along the road.

The series is written by pro Japanese manga artists / writers, and translated. The books open on the right, but, IIRC, read right to left. Don't know why.

Anyhow, last I saw, there were 20 volumes?

Someone previously mentioned this link, too: http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/

It's linked to the books.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Tallymark - no, mccloud's a theorist, his books talk about things like what types of art there are, what are the stages of development of an artist, what is sequential art, and that kind of thing. For gritty details you want one of those books with a company name on it like How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, or I believe Tokyopop has some online PDFs that give specs for manuscripts.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Wow!!! I wonder if Mr. "Axler" Ellis will drop by and give us newbies some writing tips. I'd love to hear from him.

Here I be. My wife Melissa and I held a graphic novel workshop at a writer's conference in Connecticut over the weekend but due to the time constraints and venue, we dealt only with the basics.

However, I was surprised by the number of people who want to break into the comics field as writers. Quite the change from what it used to be.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the comics-writing process.

Oh, yeah...here's another plug...the Death Hawk graphic novel is printed and will be available for order very shortly. I think it looks great, even if I sez so myself (and I do).

But with art provided by Adam Hughes and Rik Levins, as well as some from Jim Mooney and Darryl Banks, I guess that's no big surprise.

mark_ellis.jpg

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Ok, Mark, if you don't mind, you can ignore my PM that I sent to you (sorry!!) and answer the questions here, so you can share with others. I want to break into Mangas and I've noticed that mangas and comics seem to use the same script techniques, am I right? Now Sai said some wonderful stuff about show on another thread, but I was wondering if you could give your take on showing stuff through the writing process. Also it seems the writer uses almost the same writing tech as novel writing, i.e character dev, dialogue, plots, etc. Am I right? And how does one start the script? THanks so much ahead of time!!

kim

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Well...you start the script with: "Page One".

If you don't envision the first page as a splash, then it would be "Page One, Panel One".

But to be frank, if your focus is breaking in with one of the major comics publishers, submitting a full script over the transom will most likely be the proverbial exercise in futility.

The best bet if you're following that route is to work up three story plot/premises, keep them to one page each and submit them to the editor.

Choose one of the plots and write a sample script page, breaking it down into panels, complete with captions and dialogue balloons.

This is assuming you have no prior published comics credentials. If you do, then you can skip the sample script page step and send either a photocopy of the printed comics page or the entire thing.

Last edited:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Cool!! i hope to have my novel published first though, then I'll jump on the manga, since I finished the novel today. YEH!!

CAn you talk about the best way to show in comic? And are comics and Manga written the same way? thanks!!!

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Cool!! i hope to have my novel published first though, then I'll jump on the manga, since I finished the novel today. YEH!!

CAn you talk about the best way to show in comic? And are comics and Manga written the same way? thanks!!!

OK, first off, there's no difference between the way you write a Manga and a westrn comic. Every technical aspect is the same. There is also nothing magical about Manga. Manga is just a Japanese comic.

Also, all the rules about showing and not telling, EVERYTHING that holds true for telling a story in prose hold true here.

However, what you can do is get more subtle. An example would be that if you have a murder scene, you can leave a clue in the scene that the hero doesn't see, but the reader does. It's all there visually, but you are writing to tell the ARTIST to put it there. In a similar way, you can use color in a way that you couldn't with straight prose. You can give instruction to the colorist to use specific colors for scenes or characters. A little research on color theory and you can set moods in a very subtle way, or give clues to the secret identity of a character by surrounding them with visual/color cues.

I could go on, but the "How To" thread covers a great deal of this. I know that some here have been on there and found a great deal of useful info that has helped them out.

Also, while he might be gracious and answer all your questions, if you wanna pick Axler's brain, you ought to buy his book. If you want free advice, there is a lot here and the majority of it is excellent. But that's just my take. :D

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
thanks for answering my questions!! And I do plan to buy his book. And I've been studying that thread, it is wonderful!!!

kim

Last edited:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Not quite sure what you mean by "best way to show"...as for comics and manga being written in the same way, I would assume so, since they share the same format.

cool. I guess what I mean is I've seen some comics on amature boards and everything is telling what is happening in the pictures instead of showing what is happening. It's like reading a book from PA. An example is an amatured artist drew one panel where she was lying in bed and looking at a picture of her boyfriend, and in the second panel she heard mom knock on the door, panel 3 had the girl back in bed asleep with a note saying 'pretend' and an arrow pointing to it. Now that would be telling, right? So showing would be taking each panel step by step showing the girl hearing the knock, pulling the covers over her head and showing her asleep, yes?

kim

Last edited:

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
One doesn't have to show every step, as long as you make things clear--think about different camera shots in a movie. There's a lot of way you could depict a scene like that--for example, you could have the knock panel, have the back in bed asleep panel (minus the 'pretend' label), and then in the panel after the mother leaves, have the girl have one eye open and looking back towards the door, like she's making sure the coast is clear. Without stating it, this implies to the reader that she wasn't really asleep. You could also skip everything before the knock entirely; have the mother knock, look in, see she's asleep, leave, and then the girl pulls out the picture and sighs dreamily. Etc, etc. You just want to be clear without showing every single step--the reader can make the jump from one panel to the next.

The 'descriptive label' thing is actually something I have seen in some manga before; my impression is that it's for a sort of 'cute' effect, but it probably does come across as lazy to some people (as is, it was always in manga that to me seemed to be for a younger audience).

And like wordmonkey said, there's no real distinction between manga and regular comics--all manga really is is an imported comic. There are certain stylistic trends common to most manga, especially artistic trends (this is where 'american manga' comes in), but when it comes down to it, a comic is a comic. Now, the one thing that is different is the way they handle things in Japan--in Japan, making a comic is usually a one-man show; the writer and artist are the same person, they create and draw the whole thing, usually in weekly installments. So script formating is not an issue.

But, presumably, you'll be submitting to an american publisher, so it's best to do things their way. You have a story, and you need to convey that story to the artist--you'll have a script that includes dialouge, and a panel-by-panel description of what happens. Some scripts are hyper detailed, others are sparse...depends what you need.

This is why you don't really see "How to write manga" books...it's the same principle as american comics. All that's truly different about a manga is the art style, which is the artists deal, not the writers. Maybe one could argue that there's certain story trends to manga also, but that has nothing to do with how you format that story.

Like has been said, you're basically doing a novel, except that the bulk of your narrative will be in image form. This has strengths and weaknesses--you'll want to take advantage of its strengths.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the McCloud book; guess I'll have to hunt down the technical details someplace else. ^_^

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I probably ought to take a look at the McCloud book sometime; mostly I'm not too into guide books, but I've heard good things about that one. A question to those who've read it--does it include some of the nitty gritty technical details? Like, right now I'm twisting my hair about dumb things like, what is that font that most comics use, and, what size do they usually use it at? What size paper does the artist usually draw on? How much bleed space do I need? Alas, those kinds of details are probably more on the art side of things than the writing side...

There is no set font for comics. But if you go looking in font lists and CDs, you will usually find one called Comic Sans (or a variation of that name). But really, go with one that works. I have book that is in negotiations to be picked up by a publisher. It's set in Victorian Europe. My letterer used a classical script type font for the narrative blurn boxes at the start, then switched something more regular for voices. Publisher loved it and it added to the tone. There are no set rules. As long as it compliments and doesn't distract, you are fine.

Paper size. Google comic book supplies. You will even find supplies marked out to accommodate our needs. However, for wstern books, you have the standard comic book size, but you'll find most artist work double that size and scale down. This makes the art tighter and allows the artist to work in more detail if they want.

Standard print bleed is one eighth of an inch, so if you are working double size, that would be a quarter inch. That means on ever side you add that amount of bleed.

Hope that helps.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
cool. I guess what I mean is I've seen some comics on amature boards and everything is telling what is happening in the pictures instead of showing what is happening. It's like reading a book from PA. An example is an amatured artist drew one panel where she was lying in bed and looking at a picture of her boyfriend, and in the second panel she heard mom knock on the door, panel 3 had the girl back in bed asleep with a note saying 'pretend' and an arrow pointing to it. Now that would be telling, right? So showing would be taking each panel step by step showing the girl hearing the knock, pulling the covers over her head and showing her asleep, yes?

No. You'd show less.

Like has been said, there is a style that adds the lables. But what you want to do is convey the major beats of the story as it goes. Between each panel you have a natural break and the reader knows that events happen between the panels ad can mentally fill in the gaps. It's the narrative verson of animation. When you draw animation cels, you don't draw every aspec of motion, you jump it along and let the fact that the eye will fill in the blanks smooth it out. Same thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.