First three sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
The novel board has some inspiring threads on the first three sentences, last paragraph, etc., but I noticed little historical fiction posted there, so why don't we do one or more of our own? I find the others inspiring, but historical fiction is less likely to be so pert.

Since we already have the opening of the book, shall we say First three sentences or 100 words of Chapter 4?

I may be lame, but I'm game.

When Ralph recovered from seasickness, he had confusing memories of his time abed. At one time his dream of Margery was so real he thought sure she tended him. Something was strange about her face, though, all pulled out and angular, but he could never mistake those blue eyes.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Diviner - Good idea. Your 100 words (or four sentences) reads well. I can't play either since I haven't gotten to chapter 4 in Book 2 and I can't post from Book 1. But - I will watch to see what others post. Puma

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play . . .

The thud of hooves filled the warrior woman’s ears and drummed in time with the war beat in her heart. Beneath that thunder, she was aware of the creak of the wattle chariot, and the grinding of the wheel hubs as they charged at breakneck speed across the moor. In response to each jarring jolt, she adjusted her stance with an inborn grace no invader could match.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
As good as the thrillers, Carmy. I especially like "creak of the wattle chariot, and the grinding of the wheel hubs," not to mention "inborn grace no invader could match."

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Thanks for starting this thread, Diviner. I think it could get quite interesting.

That said, I'll go out on a limb and give you the first 3 (or 4?) sentences of my chapter 4.

Any interactions Kiernan had with Maeb were marred by the memory of what Eoghan told him. He would prefer for her to not see him as a future husband. He had loved once. He doubted it would ever happen again. As he lay in the dimness of the bedchamber, he was not aware he slept until he dreamed.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
I write my fiction currenty in another language...

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
I'll play. This looks like fun!

Alfred galloped across green fields, a bright spring sun on his back. He was one with the mighty horse beneath him; he could feel its strong muscles rippling under its glossy black coat. Faster than any other horse, and so smooth Alfred felt like he was flying.

HN

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Leesee ...
This is from the WIP ...

Sebastian lay beside her for a long time, keeping her covered, watching her breathe. She sprawled with a limp, defenseless abandon he found incredibly touching.

He wanted her asleep beside him, like this, tonight and tomorrow and for an endless string of nights in the future. This was no girl for a quick tumble. When a man found a mistress like this he kept her for years. Life long.

He'd do her a favor, making her his mistress. She needed somebody to take care of her. "You're a trusting fool, Jess, whatever else you are."

Last edited:

strngchs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkimsmith.com
from wip

This looks fun :) here goes :

The meeting was not quite what I had expected it to be. There were papers to sign, and dower rights to discuss, but also, the chaplain was there, listened to us exchange promises to wed at some undisclosed date in the future.

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in!

Matthew sat on the grass with his back against a tall sycamore and cradled his ale. If there was one point of unanimity in Carlston, it was in praise of Janet Wilson’s brewing, and her taverns were the most anticipated of the year. It seemed to Matthew that the entire village was here at the Wilson cottage, laughing, drinking and exchanging stories and scraps of news. Hugh Wilson was playing the role of host to the hilt as he passed among the guests, calling to his daughter Margaret to fill this mug here and see to those men over there, and drinking away rather more of the profits than Janet thought wise.

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play . . .

The thud of hooves filled the warrior woman’s ears and drummed in time with the war beat in her heart. Beneath that thunder, she was aware of the creak of the wattle chariot, and the grinding of the wheel hubs as they charged at breakneck speed across the moor. In response to each jarring jolt, she adjusted her stance with an inborn grace no invader could match.

I like it! Boudicca?

TristanParrish

I posted this in the novel group, so I'd thought I'd repost it here as well.

A-ma-zon! A-ma-zon!”
The faint chant filtered down through the stone and wood structure of the huge amphitheatre in the Campus Martius district of Rome. It caught the ears of a tall, bronze-skinned muscular woman in her early twenties.
Her name was Jurisa, and ‘Amazon’ her cognomen, the nickname given her when she entered the gladiatorial school some three years previously.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm intrigued, Tristan.

I've read about Amazon gladiators. Did you know they'd found skeletons and carvings in bass relief in London dating back to Roman occupation? Fascinating.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I dunno. My WIP starts with a short prologue with the MC in his 40s. A few things happen, he gets hit on the head, falls unconscious, and sees his whole life in flashback from age six, starting in Chapter 1. I have the beginning of Chapter 1 but not the beginning of the prologue. Does that count? :Huh:

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Wish I could play along, but I don't have my WIP divided into chapters.

Neither do I, but I will try to guess where it would be...

100 words:

The afternoon had passed by slowly and he had not seen her again, almost hoping he would for some odd reason. He continued to work in the stables for another hour, trying to get her out of his head. Who the hell did she think she was? How dare she come here to confront him. Look where it had lead! He kissed her sweet mouth passionately and could have taken her right on the hard dirt floor. If he wasn’t sure of her innocence, he may have done just that. Her reaction to him was unsettling to say the least.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
ccarver30;[FONT=Times New Roman said:
The afternoon had passed by slowly and he had not seen her again, almost hoping he would for some odd reason. He continued to work in the stables for another hour, trying to get her out of his head. Who the hell did she think she was? How dare she come here to confront him. Look where it had lead! He kissed her sweet mouth passionately and could have taken her right on the hard dirt floor. If he wasn’t sure of her innocence, he may have done just that. Her reaction to him was unsettling to say the least.[/FONT] 100 words:

Well, that was fun.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
Does that mean it sucks? :cry:

No. Sorry it I unnerved you. I liked the bit about wanting to jump her bones. I guess I sounded like the church lady, so difficult when bad means good and fun means tedious or worse. No, this was fun in the old way. We aren't putting thes up for crits, but for fun. Yours was.

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant - good luck!

I just got my 3rd agent rejection of my query :( Still plenty to go though.

All the best!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Jimmy Boy -- Yup, Boudicca, although my WIP takes place centuries later.

Status
Not open for further replies.