PDA

View Full Version : Strange idea for a forum

dub
05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I enter a bunch of challenges, here and elsewhere; however, the ones at AW are somewhat scattered.

Brainstorm, following a Hemingway morning - is it practical to have a forum where all of the challenges are aggregated? Could be links, but with definitions/rules in each sub topic.

ideas?

The Lady
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
It is a strange idea for a forum dub. To be honest I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe explain in monosyllables, not that I have any power around here anyway. I am just a :banana: in the power rankings here. :D

Kudra
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I think that's a great idea.

Cath
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
The Calendar (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/calendar.php) is a really handy way to find out what contests are happening when.

Kudra
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I think what dub means is that there are so many challenges happening in different forums, such as the May Submission Challenge in the Freelance forum, etc. It might be beneficial to put them all in one forum, so that anyone who's interested in different challenges can log on to one forum, instead of having to work his/her way into several. Sometimes, some very interesting challenges get lost in sub-forums.

Am I right, dub?

dub
05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I think what dub means is that there are so many challenges happening in different forums, such as the May Submission Challenge in the Freelance forum, etc. It might be beneficial to put them all in one forum, so that anyone who's interested in different challenges can log on to one forum, instead of having to work his/her way into several. Sometimes, some very interesting challenges get lost in sub-forums.

Am I right, dub?

Uh huh, yep, what she said. :)

Cath
05-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I understand that, but the danger is that putting all the challenges in one forum means that only those people who want to participate in challenges look at the forum.

The way it's arranged now, those who are interested in Freelance look at Freelance, Poetry at Poetry, etc. Placing the challenges related to those sub-forums in one separate, central forum means that not everyone interested in Freelance (for example) might see them.

The challenges are specific to the forums they are in. The Calendar provides a way to see what's going on across the site for anyone interested in participating in a challenge.

There might be another solution, although I'm not quite sure what.

tjwriter
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
It might be beneficial to put them all in one forum, so that anyone who's interested in different challenges can log on to one forum, instead of having to work his/her way into several. Sometimes, some very interesting challenges get lost in sub-forums.

I understand that, but the danger is that putting all the challenges in one forum means that only those people who want to participate in challenges look at the forum.

The way it's arranged now, those who are interested in Freelance look at Freelance, Poetry at Poetry, etc. Placing the challenges related to those sub-forums in one separate, central forum means that not everyone interested in Freelance (for example) might see them.

The challenges are specific to the forums they are in. The Calendar provides a way to see what's going on across the site for anyone interested in participating in a challenge.

There might be another solution, although I'm not quite sure what.

I'm going to have to agree with Cath, and the thing being that most of these challenges are on the calendar at this time. IT IS one place where a person can go so what challenges are going on.

The only thing I can suggest is that the person holding the contest be required to list it on the calendar as part of the contest. But I believe, since most, if not all, contests are coordinated by mods, that it is an issue to take up amongst themselves and sort out.

JReed
05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
The Calendar (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/calendar.php) is a really handy way to find out what contests are happening when.

I just checked that out, and you're right, that is a great way to see what contests (and other events) are happening at a glance. Can anyone add something to the calendar, for instance, if we know of a writing conference? Or do we go through a mod?

Cath
05-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Can anyone add something to the calendar, for instance, if we know of a writing conference? Or do we go through a mod?

When I'm looking at the Calendar, in the top right I have a few options: "Show Today", "Monthly View" and "Add New Event." If you have the latter, I think you can add events.

Otherwise, the best person to contact would be jst5150 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=4407), our official Keeper of the Calendar.

tjwriter
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
And I think you have to have 50 posts to put events on the Calendar.