Study tips

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Anyone have any study tips? I usually don't need to study at all, so the few times I actually do study, it's a real bitch and I never retain the information for more than 10 minutes. Help me, and I'll give you a dollar, a backrub, and a piece of this dismembered ear I found on the sidewalk today.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Anyone have any study tips? I usually don't need to study at all, so the few times I actually do study, it's a real bitch and I never retain the information for more than 10 minutes. Help me, and I'll give you a dollar, a backrub, and a piece of this dismembered ear I found on the sidewalk today.

Take notes from your material and then read it out loud. That helped me sometimes.

But then, I never studied either...

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Take notes from your material and then read it out loud. That helped me sometimes.

Note to self- never ask smart people for study tips. :D

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Studying silently just makes all the words jumble up in my head. I'll give reading aloud a try.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Note to self- never ask smart people for study tips. :D

:D

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Studying silently just makes all the words jumble up in my head. I'll give reading aloud a try.

You'd be amazed, actually...reading them aloud involves your sight AND hearing, and speaking the words forces your brain to process them. Sorta like how a bartender repeats an order aloud...I was actually taught to do that with bartending because it makes you remember it better and minimizes the "I'm sorry, what was that again?"

I find this especially helpful when I am reading/studying and come to a passage I just can't comprehend. Reading it out loud makes it fall together.

There. I did my good deed for the day. Back to lusting after Angelina.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
From my husband, distributed study is better than concentrated study (aka cramming).

What that means is that if you reread your notes from beginning to end several times a day, you will be able to easily learn the material. After 10 or more times of reading your notes, you will begin to remember even where on the page the info is located. Don't try to memorize the info, just read through it over and over again. Eventually, your brain will remember it.

If you don't take good notes or if you miss a class, ask someone you know that takes great notes for a copy of theirs.

PS He has 5 advanced degrees (two BA, two MA and on Doctorate).

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Lori. (I can't believe I just wrote that!)

Try reading difficult material aloud. It focuses your mind on the actual meaning of words. I use it to engage my brain when my dyslexia is giving me fits.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
From my husband, distributed study is better than concentrated study (aka cramming).

What that means is that if you reread your notes from beginning to end several times a day, you will be able to easily learn the material. After 10 or more times of reading your notes, you will begin to remember even where on the page the info is located. Don't try to memorize the info, just read through it over and over again. Eventually, your brain will remember it.
This tactic usually works somewhat well for me, depending on the material. But math explanations and such just go right through my brain, leaving no trail behind them.

threedogpeople said:
If you don't take good notes or if you miss a class, ask someone you know that takes great notes for a copy of theirs.

PS He has 5 advanced degrees (two BA, two MA and on Doctorate).
Actually, I don't take any classes or anything. I have to learn a year's worht of material in one week, using only the resources I find by myself and an occasion "tutor" ("Do you know about this?" "Yes." "Great! C'mere!")

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
You could try copying your notes over, too. Possibly while reading them aloud, for added benefit.

Unfortunately that's all I can come up with. I never studied either. :eek:

~DragonHeart~

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't listen to music while studying. You'll be choreographing music videos in your mind all night when you're supposed to be studying. :e2dance:

No, I still don't do anything like that. Like I ever did. *pfft*

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Very very simple Tsuki darling, and I shit you not...

Pleaure AFTER pain, reward yourself for WORK DONE

Bong in the drawer, music off, just one hour, study, then reward yourself. Sorry it's not the most incredible bit of advice you'll get, but it works. Try it. Priorities Tsuki.

Last edited:

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
:scared: oy!! where has your avatar been last night??

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
:scared: oy!! where has your avatar been last night??

No kidding... It's freaking me out.

As to the study tip. In nursing school I'd explain what I was supposed to know to someone else (my poor, poor partner hated me then). Even if you think it doesn't make sense to you still try to explain it. If you can explain a topic correctly to someone else it likely means you'll remember it for yourself. Alternatively, write down a pretend quiz about the topic -- I.E Write questions with answer choices which forces you to go over the topic and know the answers.

~ Jennifer

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I retain information better if I write it down. So for me, re-copying my notes and the important bits from books would work.

And for math, I can only function if I think in terms of money. Numbers don't mean crap to me, but dollars...yeah.

ScarlettLeopard

Registered
Reaction score
20 minutes is about all most attention spans can take so take a break after 15 to 20 minutes... but only a 5 minute break, set a timer if you need to

and try to do something physical on the breaks

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any study tips? I usually don't need to study at all,
Does that mean you usually have nothing that needs 'studying', or that you usually can just read over something without having to 'study' it?

so the few times I actually do study, it's a real bitch and I never retain the information for more than 10 minutes. Help me, and I'll give you a dollar, a backrub, and a piece of this dismembered ear I found on the sidewalk today.
Are you actually interested in the topic? That helps a huge amount for me. I've been "smart" in a lot of ways, but I only learned the topics I was interested in

I agree with Lori. (I can't believe I just wrote that!)

Try reading difficult material aloud. It focuses your mind on the actual meaning of words. I use it to engage my brain when my dyslexia is giving me fits.
If you're going to read it out loud, might as well get that little computer microphone and record it. Make an MP3 for your iPod or burn a CD-R for the car, so you can listen at times when you couldn't otherwise "study."

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
If it's math, you might have to actually do problems/theorems to practice, rather than just study notes. Practice makes a big difference in math.

Also, the suggestion to explain it to someone else is a really good one. It forces you to put the ideas in an understandable order, and for math, follow it up by explaining how to work the problem.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Does that mean you usually have nothing that needs 'studying', or that you usually can just read over something without having to 'study' it?
This means that, for most of my life, I read or had something explained to me once and I never had to look at it again. I retain most information very quickly and easily, so when I actually do have to study, I have a hard time with it.

ben said:
Are you actually interested in the topic? That helps a huge amount for me. I've been "smart" in a lot of ways, but I only learned the topics I was interested in
Unfortunately, I'm not very interested in most of the stuff I have to study right now. If I find something that interests me, I never forget it. Now that I have to learn stuff I really don't give a damn about, it's only making it harder.

ben said:
If you're going to read it out loud, might as well get that little computer microphone and record it. Make an MP3 for your iPod or burn a CD-R for the car, so you can listen at times when you couldn't otherwise "study."
We have a little recorder somewhere in the house. I'll definitely give this a try. One of my family members suggested listening to tapes before going to bed (it's a strategy usually used to help people stop smoking), so I might combine the two ideas....

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
Study a short bit of material each time, have some coffee while you do. If you don't get the little bit at first, then reread it, then again. Don't study for more than 45 minutes without a break.

That's what I did. I had to reread that frickin' neuroanatomy book five times, but I got it.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I had such bad study habits I still don't know how I got 2 engineering degrees.

I agree that you need to leave plenty of time in advance of a test. And be confident in what you know, and don't waste too much time on concepts or problems that you struggle with.

What topics are you studying?

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had such bad study habits I still don't know how I got 2 engineering degrees.

I agree that you need to leave plenty of time in advance of a test. And be confident in what you know, and don't waste too much time on concepts or problems that you struggle with.

What topics are you studying?
Well, since I can't pay for the practice test, I'm not 100% sure, but some of the free online tests and some of the TerraNova study tips pages suggest studying for anatomy (mostly cells, nerves, and the brain) and various math subjects, mostly geometry and advanced algebra with a touch of trigonometry. I'm not worried about the language/reading parts (they also have a writing section, which should be a piece of cake). They also have other stuff involving science, but it's all earth science, evolution, and space- I usually excel at all of these. The main thing I'm worried about is the anatomy. I only have a week or so to study a year's worth of my worst subject.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I've never studied either. It just never seemed necessary. I've always gotten good grades without studying (though this last semester I was scared I would have to study or fail. thankfully, neither happened :D)

But the other day I stumbled across this site. It has 77 ways to learn faster and better.

Now you only need to be able to understand spanish to read the site :ROFL:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never studied either. It just never seemed necessary. I've always gotten good grades without studying (though this last semester I was scared I would have to study or fail. thankfully, neither happened :D)

But the other day I stumbled across this site. It has 77 ways to learn faster and better.

Now you only need to be able to understand spanish to read the site :ROFL:
At first, I was like, "OH GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

Then I saw the Spanish, and I was like, "Summabitch! She got me again!"

Perhaps freetranslation.com will kind of sort of work...? Damn you, Dama.... Damn you.....