PDA

View Full Version : Experts in Love

Higgins
05-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Up until last week, I would have said that I knew very little of a useful nature about love. Now I think I know even less and even less than that about asking questions on the experts subforum.

The question I keep failing to answer has the general form: "What about Loves that you missed? If there is Love at First sight...what about Love at Last sight?" (eg: Walter Benjamin: "Love in the City is Love at Last Sight.")

It may be that few people on this board are old enough to have any idea what I'm talking about or that my memory is working a little to well for a man of my age or both.

Or to put it another way, if a man has fallen in love at first sight every five or six months for the last 50 years...what has he learned about love except to feel a certain queazy anticipation of vaguely flirting with doom?

Sandi LeFaucheur
05-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Or to put it another way, if a man has fallen in love at first sight every five or six months for the last 50 years...what has he learned about love except to feel a certain queazy anticipation of vaguely flirting with doom?

I think "flirting" is the operative word. If a person has fallen in love at first sight 100 times, I don't really think the word "love" comes into it! Infatuation, yes. Desire, yes. Love? Maybe not so much.

But then, I'm old-fashioned.

SpiderGal
05-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Actually, I have been researching into neurobiology of love since the last few days. AT this stage, I don't think so I can call myself an expert, but I can make a few recommendations.

Helen Fisher is the most respected name in the field. You may want to read her books. Her site also has a useful set of articles you can use.

http://www.helenfisher.com/

Robert Stenberg's name also comes to mind.

Rich
05-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Odd, I thought you were talking about two experts in love.

Now that's a story.