PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Comic based Movie List

MattW
05-12-2007, 12:42 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=419065

It's all based on formulaic scoring of reviews, but it doesn't make a lot of sense in cases. There's a lot to critique here, but I just want to point out one travesty in the rankings:

"Annie" and "Josie and the Pussycats" both outrank "Blade" at #48-50

Worse still "Popeye" outranks all 3 Blade movies!

"The Hulk" also wasn't low enough for my tastes.

Rich
05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Waiting for God Dough?

MattW
05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
94 - Son of the Mask
93 - Elektra
92 - Catwoman
91 - Garfield the Movie
90 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
89 - Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
88 - Batman & Robin
87 - Pathfinder
86 - Virus
85 - Monkeybone
84 - Judge Dredd
83 - Alien vs. Predator
82 - Bulletproof Monk
81 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
80 - The Crow: City of Angels
79 - Fantastic Four
78 - Steel
77 - Supergirl
76 - Blade: Trinity
75 - Appleseed
74 - Tales from the Crypt - Bordello of Blood
73 - The Punisher
72 - Ghost Rider
71 - Superman III
70 - Howard the Duck
69 - Spawn
68 - The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green
67 - TMNT
66 - Art School Confidential
65 - Richie Rich
64 - Dennis the Menace
63 - Barb Wire
62 - The Shadow
61 - Men in Black II
60 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - The Secret of the Ooze
59 - Tank Girl
58 - The Phantom
57 - Casper
56 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Movie
55 - Daredevil
54 - Batman Forever
53 - Constantine
52 - Azumi
51 - Timecop
50 - Blade
49 - Annie
48 - Josie and the Pussycats
47 - Uzumaki
46 - The Addams Family
45 - The Princess Blade
44 - Blade 2
43 - Popeye
42 - Creepshow
41 - From Hell
40 - Heavy Metal
39 - X-Men: The Last Stand
38 - Ichi the Killer
37 - Mystery Men
36 - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
35 - Spiderman 3
34 - 300
33 - The Rocketeer
32 - Hulk
31 - Dick Tracy
30 - Swamp Thing
29 - Barbarella
28 - Addams Family Values
27 - Batman
26 - The Mask
25 - Flash Gordon
24 - Batman - Mask of the Phantasm
23 - Batman Returns
22 - V For Vendetta
21 - Akira
20 - Over the Hedge
19 - Superman II
18 - The Crow
17 - Superman Returns
16 - X-Men
15 - Sin City
14 - Ghost in the Shell
13 - Hellboy
12 - Oldboy
11 - Road to Perdition
10 - Metropolis
09 - Superman: The Movie
08 - Batman Begins
07 - Men in Black
06 - A History of Violence
05 - X2
04 - Spider-Man
03 - Ghost World
02 - American Splendor
01 - Spider-Man 2

Summonere
05-12-2007, 01:13 AM
The Phantom was pretty wretched. That 1996 turkey starred Billy Zane and some other people...

ChaosTitan
05-12-2007, 06:35 AM
I borrowed all three "Blade" DVD's from my sister. I found the first one so wretchedly boring and predictable that I can't bring myself to waste four more hours of my life watching the other two.

Interesting list, though.

Shadow_Ferret
05-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I love all 3 Blades. They are my "can watch any time, as many times" movies.

Half of those I didn't even realize were comic books. "A History of Violence" was a comic book? Where were the Comic Code people during the sex scenes?

Can't say i agree with the order of their choices, though.

Will Lavender
05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Spider-Man 2 is a funny pick at #1, IMO.

Fun movie, but far, far from the best.

I think Batman Begins belongs there, or possibly Ghost World.

AzBobby
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
The formula for ranking these movies doesn't produce the same result as polling the same critics to rank the top comic based movies. So it's pretty flawed, but like the usual RT simple division between "fresh" and "rotten" based on the percentage of generally positive reviews (not necessarily raves), it's still fun to see what falls into the extremes of the top third and bottom third of the list.

A couple more flaws in the formula: First, the list is limited to the RT database of reviews; so it's missing quite a few oldies like Bringing up Father, Blondie, Prince Valiant, Li'l Abner, etc. that don't have enough reviews in their database to create a formula ranking. Second, whoever compiled the list overlooked various comic based films that do possess RT rankings, like the Peanuts films (beginning with A Boy Named Charlie Brown), the Adam West version of Batman (the feature film, not the TV show), the Conan the Barbarian films with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and probably some others I haven't thought of so quickly.

dragonjax
05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
There was the travesty that was CONSTANTINE, which didn't even make the list. I'll assume that's because the reviewers thought the movie was SUCH a horrible adaptation of HELLBLAZER that they couldn't even bring themselves to rank it as high as #100.

Marlys
05-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Batman and Robin outranks anything? Ha!

Marlys
05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
There was the travesty that was CONSTANTINE, which didn't even make the list. I'll assume that's because the reviewers thought the movie was SUCH a horrible adaptation of HELLBLAZER that they couldn't even bring themselves to rank it as high as #100.
Constantine is on there, at #53. God help me, I enjoyed it--but I never read the comic.

I disagree with a lot of this list. Sin City should be much higher; Ghost Rider isn't as bad as all that; Spider Man II was decent, but nowhere near the best; Elektra wasn't great, but nowhere near the bottom; etc., etc., etc.

ChaosTitan
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Half of those I didn't even realize were comic books. "A History of Violence" was a comic book? Where were the Comic Code people during the sex scenes?

It was a graphic novel, just like Sin City and 300.

jvc
05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Constantine is on there, at #53. God help me, I enjoyed it--but I never read the comic.
I never read the comic, but I did think the film was very good.

I disagree with a lot of this list. Sin City should be much higher
I couldn't stand Sin City. Thought it was baaaaad, very baaaad.

dragonjax
05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Okay, for those of you who saw and enjoyed CONSTANTINE, I beg you, buy, borrow or steal DANGEROUS HABITS, the HELLBLAZER story arc (as a graphic novel). John Constantine is a blond British bloke. He is NOT an American in LA. (And humph, he wears a tan trench coat, not a black one. Sheesh.) He most certainly is not Keanu Reeves.

Seriously, I couldn't make it past the first third of the movie. The sound quality was particularly bad, so I couldn't understand what the actors were saying half the time. That's not Keanu's fault, but I'll still blame him.

dragonjax
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Batman and Robin outranks anything? Ha!

What -- Arnie and Uma didn't do it for you? **snort**

I agree: B&R is one of the worst comic book movies. Ever.

MattW
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I can't believe that Batman was ranked so low, stating that it brought nothing new to the mythology.

How about redirecting the story from the campy stuff of Adam West, or the kid stuff of the Superfriends, and guest spots on Scooby Doo? How about bringing dark, gritty feel to a comic movie that Superman could never manage?

But I can see how Batman Begins was ranked high - it was damn good. I even managed to like the scarecrow for the first time.

jedimaster107
05-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Catwoman #92???? WTF??????

That movie was sooooooooooooooooooooo bad. The director didn't want NOTHING to do with the source material. The only thing that movie had in common with the comic was the name Catwoman. AND THEY RANKED IT AT 92!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! :Headbang:

I have the full run of Hellblazer and love the comic. They wanted to American-nize it because i guess British movies like 007 don't do well. The movie isn't that bad. i like it. But Hellblazer isn't action base. We're talking about the guy who screws over lusifer. the only thing i hated about the movie was HE CHEWED GUM INSTEAD OF GETTING A CIGGERIATE at the end of the movie!!!!!!!!

Will Lavender
05-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Catwoman #92???? WTF??????

That movie was sooooooooooooooooooooo bad. The director didn't want NOTHING to do with the source material. The only thing that movie had in common with the comic was the name Catwoman. AND THEY RANKED IT AT 92!!!!!!!!

I think 92 is bad.

I mean, how many comic book movies could there be?

MattW
05-13-2007, 06:40 AM
I think 92 is bad.

I mean, how many comic book movies could there be?Somebody mentioned a few that were omitted, but this covers most of the list.

And in this case, 92 is bad.

Legionsynch
05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I think X-Men: The Last Stand is awfully high for being the movie that it was. Then again, I was a huge X-Men fanboy in my youth, and expected a whole lot more from it than I got.

AzBobby
05-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I can't believe that Batman was ranked so low, stating that it brought nothing new to the mythology.

How about redirecting the story from the campy stuff of Adam West, or the kid stuff of the Superfriends, and guest spots on Scooby Doo? How about bringing dark, gritty feel to a comic movie that Superman could never manage?

But I can see how Batman Begins was ranked high - it was damn good. I even managed to like the scarecrow for the first time.

They stated that Batman (I presume Tim Burton's first Batman) brought nothing new? Wow, that's so inaccurate, so short of memory. The Dark Knight Returns was still pretty fresh when Burton made Batman and most of the general public knew no other Batman than Adam West or the Superfriends variety, as you mentioned. I remember getting excited over the new look and feel, and spotting the various Dark Knight influences. I also remember how surprising the choice of Michael Keaton was -- to hell with the old heroic look, the movie said. For the first time, let's portray the guy as the psycho he is. It wasn't a perfect film, but it hardly fell short on newness. Batman Begins was great, maybe better, but relied heavily on the dark style and edge first made familiar with Burton's series.

Reminder, the "ranking" of the RT list doesn't really rank these films in the order that the critics would rank them. Technically, this list of descending values of percentages of positive reviews (calculated from inconsistent totals and sources) aren't even rankings. The order doesn't correspond much to how a real rank order might come out if critics compared these films to each other, unless you divide the list into major chunks like pass and fail. Even then, the dividing point is at X-Men: the Last Stand, with a "rotten" score despite being 39th out of 94; so it's a bit misleading to think of it as far above, say, Fantastic Four to the average reviewer.

In a true rank order, Spider Man 3 coming up below Hulk, or the horrible 1980 version of Flash Gordon rising above almost anything in the top 80 or 90, would make no sense to me at all.

MattW
05-15-2007, 02:40 AM
You take that back about Flash Gordon!

(ok - so it wasn't innovative or anything, but the damned thing was just fun and goofy)

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2007, 07:07 AM
With a wonderfully corny theme song by Queen.

Flash! Aaaah! He's a miracle!

Evaine
05-15-2007, 05:57 PM
"Flash! Flash! I love you - but we only have 24 hours to save the Earth!"

I saw The Punisher round at a friend's house the other night. Not a brilliant film, but we do have one thing about it that puzzles us.
There is a scene where Frank Castle (the Punisher) 'borrows' the car belonging to the gangster's wife, makes sure it gets a parking ticket and then returns it. Before he drives it off, though, he takes a fake fire hydrant out of his bag and puts it on the kerb. Why would he do that? Are people not supposed to park next to fire hydrants?

maestrowork
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Superman Returns ranks that high, higher than Superman II? I don't think so.

ChaosTitan
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
There is a scene where Frank Castle (the Punisher) 'borrows' the car belonging to the gangster's wife, makes sure it gets a parking ticket and then returns it. Before he drives it off, though, he takes a fake fire hydrant out of his bag and puts it on the kerb. Why would he do that? Are people not supposed to park next to fire hydrants?

You can get a parking ticket for parking next to a fire hydrant. If there was a fire, then the fire truck doesn't have immediate access.

There was a scene on the TV show "Third Watch," where firefighters arrived on-scene, only to find a sports car blocking the hydrant. They busted both of the cars windows to get the hose through, and a small leak filled the car with water by the time the fire was out. :ROFL:

Evaine
05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation, chaostitan!

Backward Masking
05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Spider-Man 2 is a funny pick at #1, IMO.

Fun movie, but far, far from the best.

I think Batman Begins belongs there, or possibly Ghost World.

Marvel has it's tentacles hands around Hollywood's throat, so I'm not overly suprised. I do agree with Batman Begins deserving the top seed. Good flick.

robeiae
05-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Timecop is a helluva flic, considering Van Damme is the star.

And Flash Gordon should be at about number four. Easily.

louisgodwin
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
My favorite comic book movie of all time is still 1989's Batman; the one with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

The worst? Hmmm, the worst one I've ever seen is probably either Superman IV or Electra. Hard to choose.

MattW
05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Timecop is a helluva flic, considering Van Damme is the star. No.

And Flash Gordon should be at about number four. Easily.Hellzyeah!

mkcbunny
05-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Flash! Ah-ah! Savior of the universe!"

So much campy fun.

He'll save evry one of us

"No! Not ze bore vorms!"

Man, I saw that in the theater when it came out.

History of Violence was excellent. I liked X-Men 1&2 much better than Spider-Man 1&2. X3 was pretty disappointing, and I haven't forked over my dollars for SM3 yet. Favorites (other then Flash!) are probably Batman Begins, Ghost World, American Splendor. Hellboy was pretty good, too. And Men in Black is still funny, I think; it was on TV the other day, and I got stuck on it. But, ultimately, I have to go with Akira. Iconic, genre-defining. Love Ghost in the Shell, too, but the edge goes to Akira.

Catwoman was god-awful. Much worse than Elektra, which was simply boring.

I think the one that was most disappointing to me was Spawn. I wanted it to be good, and it was so awful.

preyer
05-22-2007, 07:10 PM
nope, you're not supposed to park next to a fire hydrant. you'll get a ticket for that. :)

i think the reason 'conan' doesn't apply because it's not comic based, rather the comic is based on the novels. dunno, though, just my theory.

and flash gordon rocks.

AzBobby
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
You take that back about Flash Gordon!

I haven't actually seen it since it first hit video in the early 80s. Yeah, I'm old.

Since I'm someone who likes both Adam West's Batman as well as The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai across the 8th Dimension, I concede it's possible I didn't have my proper goofiness channel tuned in at the time. I'll have to catch FG again sometime to check that.

louisgodwin
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Catwoman was god-awful. Much worse than Elektra, which was simply boring.

I haven't seen Catwoman. I've avoided it because I haven't heard even one good review. Every person I've talked to says it sucks... bad.

I think the one that was most disappointing to me was Spawn. I wanted it to be good, and it was so awful.

There were some cool special effects, but, yeah, it pretty much sucked too.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention Hellboy! What a great, intentionally-campy flick! I loved the fact that it didn't try to take itself too seriously. I keep hearing rumors of a sequel, but nothing confirmed yet.