PDA

View Full Version : New game

toto1958
07-05-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm trying to think of a new game to play, or else trying to juggle the minds of people to try to think of a new game.

Heres an idea I have

Something did come to mind, which I'm not sure if it would do good or bad. It is similar to word association, which I'm not hung up on, except that you do it with authors. But its a little deeper than that. You name something of them, their birth date, a few words of something they wrote, the title of something they wrote.

I'm also throwing that out in case it gives someone an idea or a different idea.

Only trying to be creative, no matter how good or bad it is.

I tried that association thing, it was OK, until it fell on its face after 100 posts. I was pretty sure it would last till 150. oops It didn't.

Does anyone have any ideas to build upon what I wrote or else create something new?

mammamaia
07-05-2004, 11:42 PM
here's a nifty one i saw on another board long ago:

you start out with 8 or 9 random words... the next person has to use those in a paragraph or a poem [depending on who sets the rules]... and after posting it, they then list 9 new words for the next gamer, and so on... in case you want to try it, i'll start it off and demonstrate how it works by 'going first'... i'll show ya both the paragraph version and the poem one:

new
driving
cherry
books
glass
always
horrible
worthy
horn

The new car was driving me nuts. Sure, it was a 'cherry' but despite how good it looked, on the books, it was going to be a definite tax loss. Regardless, I needed it to complete my image. The glass ceiling will always be there, horrible as it is for a worthy individual 'comme moi' to admit... not that I'm one to blow my own horn!

spike
able
cable
spoil
toil
devious
previous

playing silly word games is like
impaling myself on a spike
since i'm so eminently able
to write for print, screen or cable

but, far be it for me to spoil
the fun of those who toil
with wordsmithery this devious
as toto called for in post previous

aren't you sorry you asked, kid?:ack

love and hugs, m

here's your assignment, should you choose to take it:

what's it gonna be?...paragraph?

bloom
luggage
waterfall
ugly
shod
worry
birthday
attitude
obsequious

or poem?

how
sow
fortune
importune
blacken
slacken
rug
smug

whatever you choose [if you don't ignore this whole mess] will have to be continued by the following posters [poem or paragraph]... of course, if you're really into this stuff, you can do both in two separate threads:wha

toto1958
07-06-2004, 04:49 AM
As I stood there with my shod looking luggage, which actually was ugly looking, as I was looking out the widow and could see the waterfall. I could fell the fear of flying bloom in me again as it had so many times. Yet is my sisters 50th birthday and I wanted to get back home to celibrate it with her. Even though I was fearful of flying, I still have a good attitude with the whole thing. Normally i would do this but for my sister i can only feel obsequious.

How was that?

Next person

Paragraph:

credulous
show
microscopic
provication
relief
cold
neurotic
infin
doohickey

I don't have anything for poems

Betty W01
07-06-2004, 07:31 AM
how
sow
fortune
importune
blacken
slacken
rug
smug

How smug are they
who sow their lies
to blacken others' reputations,
who (lusting after
good fortune)
try to pull the rug out
from under those
whose success is greater,
and importune the fates
as their grasp
on reality
begins to slacken.

-----------------------------
Next poem, use:

kind
morbid
children
bright
red
sounding
light
steer
oval

toto1958
07-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Betty, I gave the list of words

maestrowork
07-06-2004, 09:00 AM
credulous
show
microscopic
provication
relief
cold
neurotic
infin
doohickey

(Toto, some of the words are not complete words or they're misspelled)

The credulous Governor Hardy gave a good show. But he buckled under the microscopic scrutiny of the public, which brought about provocation of asthma. The governor's doctor gave him medication for instant relief, but he quickly contracted a cold. The neurotic wife of his asked him to use an infin in a coherent sentence but he failed the test and died. The good doctor stuck a doohickey in his skull and called it a day.

maestrowork
07-06-2004, 09:02 AM
kind
morbid
children
bright
red
sounding
light
steer
oval

It was some kind of morbid curiosity to watch the children run toward the bright red, loud sounding traffic light and signal only to have the motorists steer clear to avoid hitting the oval island where the children were standing.

maestrowork
07-06-2004, 09:06 AM
strap
muscular
gust
asylum
scattered
solemn
groves
crimson
lantern

toto1958
07-06-2004, 01:14 PM
The young lad held onto the strap of the muscular horse, as a gust of wind caused the trees in front of the asylum to bend and sway in the fall wind. The leaves seemed to dance their way in the wind to wards the groves in the distance. He was amazed of how the crimson lantern he was holding seemed to stay lit with all the wind that was stirring.

Paragraph or poem:

green
shrub
riding
voting
trolley
boat
trial
ironic
freedom

mammamaia
07-06-2004, 08:29 PM
a large, green shrub
was Flora's final folly
riding to the voting place
on a yellow trolley,
then onto a ferry boat,
her next trial was ironic,
whoever tossed that shrub her way
was certainly moronic!

otherwise
disguise
tries
dies
plies
incise
stupefies
barflies
eyes

put that in yer pipe 'n smoke it!

Betty W01
07-07-2004, 01:05 AM
otherwise
disguise
tries
dies
plies
incise
stupefies
barflies
eyes

I'm gonna do this one (I'm usually a sucker for a challenge) then I'm stepping out, since I don't like thinking up the word lists anyway.

Thursday Afternoon At Shady Inn

In disingenuous disguise,
an undercover cop plies barflies
with liquor as he tries
to pump their sodden brains
for answers
but all he finds is sorrow banked
behind their beer-glazed eyes
and minds (what there is left)
otherwise engaged
with memories that gnaw
and stupify

A new brain cell dies
with every passing gulp
and drunks incise their shame
with hoarded car keys
into wet-ringed bar tables
next to other names long past

It's just another afternoon at Shady Inn
where lives are being wasted
as pains are medicated
and nothing ever changes
but the date

toto1958
07-07-2004, 01:15 AM
The spy/safecracker knew he had to crack the safe in the bank , otherwise he had to go back to Russian and he knew if that happened what would be in store for him. His disguise is ready and with each now job he tries to be better than he was the last time, but the feels like he dies inside when he doesnt do his best. He plies his trade like a finely skilled surgeon with hisincise instruments. He knows he stupifies both his superiors and the police wit his work, as he smiles thingking about it. but hes first going to have another drink as he swats the barflies away and has enough of looking at the pretty barmaids eyes.

crank
hoot
treble
marksmanship
door
politics
satire
loyal
water

dang Bettey beat me out on this one.

Anyone can use my word list since Betty didn't put one down

Betty :b

LiamJackson
07-07-2004, 04:49 AM
crank
hoot
treble
marksmanship
door
politics
satire
loyal
water

Denise stored her gun inside the security locker and dropped the key in her pocket. Next, she held her identification up to the camera and waited for the jailer to trigger the electronic door. Seconds later, the loudspeaker emitted a shrill whistle, and a metallic-sounding voice told her to “please step through the door, Detective Loudon.”

“Damn it, Mike! Adjust the treble on that thing before you rupture an eardrum out here!”

After a brisk walk through a maze of well-lit corridors she came to the Observation Room. She took a seat in front of the two-way glass and watched passively as another strung-out teenager pounded his head against a concrete wall in an adjacent room. Crank, she thought. The kid’s tweaked out of his gourd. Probably has a tab of acid in him, too.

Denise pulled a copy of the arrest report from her satchel, then opened her notebook and scribbled a few notes on a clean sheet of paper. She was still writing when Phillip Conley stepped inside the room. Denise suppressed a grimace. She despised the man and everything he stood for. His meteoric rise through the ranks was nothing more than a testimony to “good old boy” politics within the department. Of course, that his uncle was Chief of Detectives didn’t hurt. The old man took care of him and in return, Conley was as loyal as a lapdog. Arrogant bastard!

Conley wasted little time stepping on her last nerve. “So, Dee-Dee, whatda’ we got here? Another 51-50? Damn, look at him go! Maybe we should just turn the nutcase loose and practice a little marksmanship. You know, save the taxpayers a few bucks.”

Denise felt her teeth grind at the term “51-50”, an old and derogatory reference to the mentally ill. She swallowed hard and counted to ten before answering. “Yeah, the kid is a real hoot. I’m so glad you were around for the show. Maybe you’ll get to see some gray matter before they EMTs show up with the leather restraints.”

“Hey, lose the attitude, baby doll,” Conley said, smiling crookedly. You know what your problem is? You never learned to play nice with others.”

Denise stood up and walked around the table. “Oh, I’ve got a problem, all right. But it has nothing to do with my social habits. My problem is with you and that fat-assed Boss Hog uncle of yours.”

Conley’s eyebrows knitted together and he glared hotly at Denise. “What did you call Uncle Horace?”

“Boss Hog, you moron! You know, from…oh, never mind. I should have known that the satire would be lost on you! Tell you what, Dick Tracy, you work this case. Or not. I’m out of here!”

Denise picked up her satchel and headed for the door. Conley, his eyes flashing dangerously, moved to intercept her. “I think you owe me an apology!”

“You really don’t want to do this, Phillip,” Denise said.

“Oh, I think I do. You're like a fish out of water around here, baby doll, and it’s time somebody put you in your place. Now, be a good girl and apologize.” In one fluid motion, Denise dropped the satchel, reached, grabbed, and squeezed.

Seconds later, she was met in the hallway by an anxious jailer. “Hey, Detective! Are you okay? I--I thought I heard a scream over the intercom.

Denise smiled warmly and nodded. “No problems, Mike. I was just adjusting Conley’s treble.”

(Is it my turn to provide the words for the next round?)

Betty W01
07-07-2004, 05:46 AM
Liam, I like it! Nice job!!

toto1958
07-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Yes liam

LiamJackson
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
foyer
gristle
squat
indigenous
onion
longitutde
slogan
scope
coot

Naw, Betty, I blew the assignement. Should have kept all the words in a single paragraph. I just expanded the story for you, Reph, Ruth and Maia. :grin

Betty W01
07-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Well, I liked it!:b

Yeshanu
07-08-2004, 09:25 AM
In the foyer of the swank hotel, one cannot hear the uncouth patrons at the 50’s diner down the street chewing the gristle of their pork chops. Nor can one see the squat indigenous woman in the kitchen chopping an onion, wiping tears from her eyes as she does so. One slice, a line of longitutde through the odiferous vegetable, then chop! The knife cuts the two hemispheres in half again. A metaphor about living, a slogan, perhaps, for well-meaning but naive socialites intent on widening the scope of their interference. So thinks the old coot sitting in the foyer of the swank hotel.

More words:

strawberry
lapse
filmy
spirit
ream
calamari
spiderman
pelisse
goblin

ChunkyC
07-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Every time I eat strawberry ice cream, I feel like I'm about to lapse into a coma. A filmy sheen covers my vision, as thought the pelisse of some unearthly spirit has been dragged across my face. I grab a ream of paper and load my printer...I feel a story coming on...but then all I can think of is Spiderman and the Green Goblin.

I should have had the Calamari.

-------------

Oops -- a list:

eggshell
trampoline
carburetor
thong
golf
piano
aardvark
trim
concoction

ChunkyC
07-09-2004, 06:32 AM
PS - neat game, and great entries, everyone.

Betty W01
07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
eggshell
trampoline
carburetor
thong
golf
piano
aardvark
trim
concoction

Like Liam, I'm gonna cheat and make mine a "story" this time....
----------------------------------
edited for possible use
--------------------------------------

Next list ...
run
tarantula
Volvo
crank
sorry
delicious
angel
involved

LiamJackson
07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
ROFL
Well done, Betty! :clap

Welcome to Cheaters-R-Us!
(All for the sake of art, of course.)

maestrowork
07-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Run, lover, you -- tarantula
Run, over by my Volvo
You crank, and I won't be sorry
I'll make delicious pies out of you
And no angel would weep
And no tears would be involved

(Please, I am not giving a new list because I think someone else could really make music with them... I'm just playing with crap here)

Betty W01
07-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Liam, I wrote it based on something I heard about that happened to someone I know. What a maroon that guy was!

:ack

toto1958
07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Maestro:

You forgot a word list.

maestrowork
07-10-2004, 10:31 PM
bikini
shoulder
believe
emperor
gone
morning
Beatles
sympathetic
scribble

toto1958
07-11-2004, 12:07 AM
She was gorgeous in her bikini and her shoulder was soft when I use to touch it. I believed her when she said she loved me but I was never really certain if she was serious or not. She always made me feel like an emperor when ever she was around. It's been 2 weeks now since she has been gone, I don't know where she went off to. This morning was probably the 200th time Ive called her apartment and all I get is the tape machine playing the Beatles song "can't by me love. Ironic, huh. My friends have been pretty sympathetic with it all but all I can do is put my head down and scribble on this paper and hope she will call.

Toast
table
car
light
office
paper
mail
heat
lavish

Betty W01
07-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Toast
table
car
light
office
paper
mail
heat
lavish

edited for possible use

------------------------------
potato
blue
average
running
slap
deed
caravan

Yeshanu
07-11-2004, 03:12 AM
I'm about a day behind here, but here's why:

I wrote the tarantula list down last night, intending to post as soon as I'd written something coherent. Then I went to bed and forgot about it.

This morning, I decided to take a drive into the big city to see an art exhibit, notebook secreted in my ever-present backpack.

When I sat down to write at the art exhibit, this is what came out:

Run, don't walk
To the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit.
Paint
Splattered on canvas:
A red tarantula on a yellow background.
Volvo parts,
Framed
For your amusement.
Detailed model
Of a crank --
Papier-mache.
Sorry you came yet?
The ubiquitous still life:
Peaches, pears, a glass of wine.
Delicious,
But is it art?
Glass angel
Suspended on nylon filament,
Involved with the breeze,
And life.

Actually, it wasn't bad, but some of the pieces were a little weird...

I think I'll go back to making art with smileys. Them I can understand.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program. Betty's list, anyone?

toto1958
07-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Betty , its 9 words please.

Betty W01
07-11-2004, 11:22 AM
potato
blue
average
running
slap
deed
caravan
slap
argument

maestrowork
07-11-2004, 11:37 AM
The Potato King was blue. He summoned his help and asked them, "How many pounds of potatoes does an average man eat?" When no one answered, he asked again. Just then, his wife the Potato Queen came running in and slapped him in the face. Surprised and enraged, he questioned his queen. She said, "No deed will go unpunished. There are caravans of defecting potatoes leaving the kingdom!" The King rushed out and saw that it was true. He slapped himself and uttered, "No argument about this, they are all going to the McDonald's!"

THE END

Landslide
Thousand
Wonderland
Overprotected
Fragile
October
Simultaneous
Acoustic
Massive

Betty W01
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
And the next list is....??

(And it's "tale", not "tail". I think. Unless you meant this story had a tail?? One never knows, in here...)

maestrowork
07-11-2004, 11:42 AM
"Tail" was right. :grin

toto1958
07-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Landslide
Thousand
Wonderland
Overprotected
Fragile
October
Simultaneous
Acoustic
Massive

maestrowork
07-15-2004, 02:50 AM
OK, here's a varietion of the game and I hope people will like this.

Pick a word, preferrably long and abstract. Find the anagrams using that word, then construct a paragraph or a story using those words, plus using the original word as a theme/premise!

Let me start:

Telepathy: heal, petty, teeth, lathe, pet, leap, tea, yelp, pelt

Now.. go!

Yeshanu
07-15-2004, 06:54 AM
Telepathy: heal, petty, teeth, lathe, pet, leap, tea, yelp, pelt

Once upon a time I had a pet seal with a shiny fur pelt. She would follow me everywhere, even to the local tea shop. One day, we were out taking a walk, and without any warning, a car made an impossible leap and jumped the curb, hitting my poor seal. She let out a loud yelp, and blood started gushing from her mouth. I took her to the vet, who tried to use telepathy to find out what was wrong and heal her, but the only impression the vet could get was that the seal's teeth hurt. A pretty petty complaint, really, considering that she was dying of internal injuries. She passed away, and was buried in the churchyard. I used a lathe to make a wooden model of my beloved companion, which I put in the grave with her ashes at the funeral.

So sad, really...:cry

Next list:

Ambulance: amble, lance, camel, Mabel, uncle, balance, clean, blame, meal

RichMar
07-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Ambulance: amble, lance, camel, Mabel, uncle, balance, clean, blame, meal

If you're walking, especially doing a slow AMBLE in a busy intersection, and an ambulance is approaching, you'll see that the front of its hood reads ECNALUBMA. That's 'cause ambulance drivers prefer that the driver in front of them can read AMBULANCE through the rearview mirror. Anyway, there I was reading "ECNALUBMA" thinking it was an ice cream truck, (hey, don't laugh--look at "Haagen Daaz") when "WHAM," the hood ornament acting like a LANCE caught me in the butt. The ambulance driver, MABEL, ran out, stuck a CAMEL in my mouth and lit it. (Somehow, I felt that Mabel was not a gal who had her mental faculties in proper BALANCE). Anyway, I had nobody to BLAME but myself. The hospital MEAL, as usual, sucked. What most annoyed me was that my mother immediately dispatched my uncle to visit me--he immediately pulled off my sheet and said, "Ah, you're ma will be happy--CLEAN underwear!"

Anticipation: antic, attic, tint, patio, nation, topic, action, tonic, caption.

Yeshanu
07-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Rich,

:lol

maestrowork
07-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Somehow I feel that some great short stories would come from this... :thumbs

toto1958
07-16-2004, 01:56 AM
somethng will come from this, may be even babies.

Well, may be not babies.

RichMar
07-17-2004, 03:17 AM
Ah, yes, toto, babies.

toto1958
07-17-2004, 06:04 AM
ok, whos next?

RichMar
07-17-2004, 06:12 AM
I would guess it'd be the one playing with the last nine words.

maestrowork
07-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Here was the list:

Yeshanu
07-17-2004, 08:50 AM

I sat in my chair, waiting for something with anticipation. I was on the patio of a fine restaurant, drinking a gin and tonic after a hard day cleaning the attic. I opened my newspaper, and read the front page. The topic that had captivated the nation today was the antic of a washed-out politician with darkly tinted sunglasses. The caption read: Bud in suds: drinks 92 bottles of beer on the wall in one sitting. Now I knew what I had been waiting for: I wanted my beer back! It was time to take action.

Next list:

Orchestra: store, chore, shore, roast, chest, orca, stare, rare, chose

RichMar
07-18-2004, 05:11 AM
Nice and tight there, girl. Bravo!

ChunkyC
07-18-2004, 05:44 AM
store, chore, shore, roast, chest, orca, stare, rare, chose

It would be quite a chore
to get an Orca from the shore
to my favorite store

One might stare
seeing something so rare

Unless one chose to eat a roast chestnut at that precise moment, then you'd miss it and wonder what the fuss was all about.

Inclement: In men lent Clement ten elm cement tin meet

reph
07-18-2004, 06:17 AM
I just got here. What a bunch of creative types you all are!

IN the MEN's room at CLEMENT's Bar on ELM Street, Joe looked into the mirror. The cap on his front tooth had come unCEMENTed. And he was supposed to MEET Sally in TEN minutes! Joe had no time to see a dentist. He retrieved a gum wrapper from his pocket, tore off a bit of TINfoil, and fashioned a temporary cap. Joe checked his handiwork in the mirror. "Good thing I gave up vanity for LENT," he said.

partygoer: part gory art rage par trap grape yap tray

RichMar
07-19-2004, 09:02 PM
partygoer: part gory art rage par trap grape yap tray

I fell into the TRAP of being a RAGE of a PARTYGOER, thinking I had the ART of it down pat. You know: playing foolish PARTS like balancing TRAYS on my head, YAPping senselessly to any girl who I thought was up to PAR. This all ended one awful night when I--always the clown-- tried to swallow a two-pound bunch of concorde GRAPES, stems and all, and regurgitated on half the guests. The scene looked quite GORY.

Philosophical: local, also, solo, polar, clap, slap, spool, school, spill.

Yeshanu
07-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Philosophical: local, also, solo, polar, clap, slap, spool, school, spill.

The local public school board received a slap on the wrist recently. They approved an application by a solo zookeeper to bring in a polar bear to amuse the children, and also a few parents. The bear ate a spool of rope. In order to save the bear, a vet had to pull the rope from the bear's mouth. It spun around, and became so dizzy it spilled its guts on the ground. The kids thought it was a great show. They clapped until their hands hurt. After the show, the caretaker waxed philosophical. "Cleaning up bear puke isn't nearly as demeaning as cleaning up after a school board meeting," he told us.

Felicitations: faction, stone, festal, licit, tine, stifle, flat, stale, son

reph
07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Oh, are we supposed to use the longer word in the story, too? "Partygoer," "philosophical."

maestrowork
07-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Actually the orignal intent is to use the original word as a theme! That would be more difficult than simply using the word.

RichMar
07-20-2004, 02:05 AM
I do follow your gist, Maestro. However, the rules can reach a point where there will be little to say. I do believe in Goethe's words, "Free spirit without discipline is chaos."

However, when you accept the fact that you have nine or ten disparate words to play with you still have some leeway to construct a story. When you begin to further restrict the possibilities by imposing anagrammatal twists and first-word themes, I do find it a bit too restrictive. Ah, you guys are a bit too creative for my blood.

Reph, I see you can still follow the game, sort of, Bravo! You are the most creative anal retentive personage I've come across.

Amen.

maestrowork
07-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Extra points for those who welcome a good challenge.

RichMar
07-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Huge bonuses for those who can put together a good story within the confines of disparate words without having to be crippled by folks who want you to tie up at least one hemisphere of your brain.

maestrowork
07-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Felicitations: faction, stone, festal, licit, tine, stifle, flat, stale, son

As the FACTION of soldiers gathered upon the cornerSTONE at the McArthur Court, their ilLICIT triumph brought forth the festal moment. The TINEs of their anguish turned into felicitations for their victory. Once STIFLEd, and now their dead brothers and sisters lying FLAT under the STALE moon, they watched as the SON of their rightful king returned to the throne.

Manifestation: famine, sin, tint, faintest, inn, fiesta, fame, foe, safe

reph
07-20-2004, 11:14 AM
RichMar wrote: "Reph, I see you can still follow the game, sort of, Bravo! You are the most creative anal retentive personage I've come across."

Thank you from the heart of my bottom.

LiamJackson
07-20-2004, 12:00 PM
famine, sin, tint, faintest, inn, fiesta, fame, foe, safe

"Alas, my sin hangs about my neck like great and cumbersome millstone from another age. A famine lays waste to my soul and I am bereft of the faintest remnant of grace. I have looked into the eyes of my greatest foe, and through the bloody tint, I see my own battered reflection. Now, I shall retire to the inn, passing by throngs of folk lost in the simple pleasures of fiesta. Safe from prying eyes and the burden of my fame, I shall end my misery. It is done."
(trying to hang with a central theme)

reph
07-20-2004, 01:25 PM
This turned out clichéed and sentimental. Be gentle with me; I don't produce stories often.

----------------

THE MANIFESTATION

Celia stepped out of the INN, still holding her dishtowel, and sank onto a bench in the alley. Her feet hurt from standing. A FIESTA meant more work for the kitchen staff. So many pots to scrub! But the extra pesos would keep Celia's family SAFE from FAMINE – and, anyway, wasn't idleness sinful?

Celia decided that a five-minute break from the steamy, noisy kitchen would not be enough idleness to count as a SIN. She closed her eyes and started to hum softly. Music always relaxed her, even when she made it herself, even when she had nobody to sing to. Of course, having an audience was more fun, but one had to be practical.

After a minute, she heard the FAINTEST sound, like an echo of her voice; but nothing ever echoed in this alley. Was someone humming along with her? She opened her eyes. No one was there. She saw nothing but a stain on the wall across the way, an irregular patch of TINT on the stone.

Celia fell silent. The humming grew louder. It seemed to come from the stone wall, in a way, but at the same time from inside her head. Was this a manifestation? A thing from God, or from the Blessed Virgin? Or was it a thing from the Evil One?

She stared at the color on the stone. The humming gave way to muffled song. There were several voices, all singing at once, not in unison but in chaos. Celia listened carefully. Wherever this message came from, whatever spirit sent it, it must be important. Spirits had never spoken to Celia before, let alone sung to her. She tried to make out words in the jumble of sounds.

Slowly the voices converged and the words became clear.

"Music is your right, you soon will know,
Sing at the inn tonight, let talent show,
Your future's bright, and FAME is not your FOE."

----------------

Politics: pi, sit, pit, spoil, spit, spot, slop, clip, slip

maestrowork
07-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Bravo, guys! See, it can be done if you put your mind to it!
(speaking like a coach)

The next one (about Politics) should be interesting...

Yeshanu
07-26-2004, 01:06 AM
... sue me!

Politics: pi, sit, pit, spoil, spit, spot, slop, clip, slip

There once was a writer of limericks
Who decided to go into politics.
But her morals did slip
So her wings they did clip
And she went back to writing bad limericks.

Then one day she consulted a guy
Who knew things like the square root of pi.
Not to spoil her fun
But before he was done
She felt so dumb she wanted to cry.

So she dug a big barbeque pit
And roasted a cow on a spit.
A thug envied her slop.
Her hard head he did bop.
And now all she does is just sit.

Now she’s left with an old dog named Spot
And a withering plant in a pot.
Her clothes are all rags.
Her belly, it sags
And her brains have all started to rot.

:grin

Enchanted: cheat, need, teach, cant, dent, cane, hate, neat, chant

toto1958
07-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Enchanted: cheat, need, teach, cant, dent, cane, hate, neat, chant

He wanted to cheat on the test because he was in needof teh grade. His, as the slang goes,teach caught him before he went trough with it and told him he can't do that because it would put a dent in his scholl record. Sucking on his candy cane, he had hate in his heart for her doing that, even though her attire was so neat so instead he decided to go chant

(I know its butchery of the english language)

transgression: grass,sag,gas,train,nag,gear,rag,treason,nats

RichMar
08-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Most clever, Ruth.

mammamaia
08-01-2004, 09:38 PM
the ultimate transgression

Grass-use will cause your tits and ass to sag, great gas problems, and strain your train of thought, causing your mom to nag, confiscate your gear, burn your do-rag, and charge you with treason, for allowing gnats to infest your nose.

[note: 'nats' is not a word, so i substituted 'gnats'... plus adding some that had been overlooked]

next: formicary

for, form, from, farm, fray, fair, foam, foamy, mica, may, mar, oar, oaf, of, or, oy, icy, if, i'm, corm, cam, comic, cram, am, aim, arm, army, rarify, racy, roam, ran, rim, ram, yam

'zzat enuff for ya? [left some out on purpose, t'see if anyone can find 'em]...

[will i be banned from the board for this?:gone ]

maestrowork
08-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Maia, you only supply 9 words (including the original that would be 10).

Yeshanu
08-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Ah, but more is fun... (Give me a day or so, folks. I promise not to do more limericks.) (On second thought... :grin )

Yeshanu
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
maia’s list, roughly alphabetized, with additions:

formicary: a, am, aim, arm, army, air, corm, cam, comic,cram, car, carry, Cory, cry, for, far, from, from, farm, fray, fair, foam, foci, fairy, I, I’m, icy, if, may, mar, mica, my, oar, oaf, of, or, oy, rarify, racy, roam, ran, rim, ram, yam, yo

I am a comic. I amuse the army personnel staioned in the Pacific Rim. I tell jokes for them like, “Yo mamma is so cool, she make chili peppers icy.” Not bad, eh? My buddy Cory laughed so hard he started to cry when I told him that one... I caught it all on my web-cam. Wanna see?

Anyhow, I became a comic in order to escape from the farm. My faimly had a formicary intellect -- everyone had to work hard all day every day, and it was all for the benefit of the queen ant, aka Mother. So I escaped. I crammed as much stuff as I could strong-arm into the back of my old Dodge Ram on the first fair day of May. I could have gone by air, I suppose, but it just wouldn’t have been the same. Too bad the truck broke down just outside the gate. I had to cram the stuff into the trunk of my parent’s Ford Focus, then I headed out the gate again. I aimed the car in the general direction of the Pacific and drove until I ran out of road. I stared at the briny foam of the sea, and wondered what I had gotten myself into.

If you want to make something of it, go ahead. You can’t mar my good name. I don’t have one, as I’ll tell you next.

I was far from home, and I was lonely. I had no foci for my roaming, nor even one focus. I ate yam or potato, whatever was available, because I couldn’t afford meat. I took to begging on the streets of Vancouver, which would have been all right except some oaf decided to dispute my territory. I ran from the fray as fast as my feet could carry me. I’m not really much of a fighter.

The oaf followed. “Oy vey!” I exclaimed. “What have I gotten myself into?”

Up ahead the street dead ended at the docks. I spied a rowboat, and quick as a flash, I untied that sucker and started rowing with all my might. The oars were heavy, and I was far from being in my best form, but he didn’t have a boat, and I did, so I escaped.

I sat floating on the sea for a long time. I thought about my lack of foci, or even focus, and stared up at the stars. I had racy thoughts about a certain young lady back home, and realized with regret that I would probably never see her again. My corm started to throb.

Just then a fairy appeared. She was pretty, and I forgot about the girl back home. She also had a wand with a star-shaped tip that appeared to be made of mica schist.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Oh, fair fairy, I am sitting in this boat on the foam because I ran from the fray far from my home on the farm where the formicary intellect caused me such distress.”

She said, “You have a way with words. Not a good way, but a way nonetheless, and it’s something to work with. I will rarify your way with words and give you the curse of comedy.”

She did, so here I am.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

New list:

anthropophagous: argot, apropos, sugar, Argonauts, hag, urn, stoop, thrash, shoot

mammamaia
08-03-2004, 12:34 AM
...we're writers, ain't we?... must we set limits 'pon our creative impulses?

...i shall take myself from this place and be hanged if i'll return!