Summer Movies

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
So there's a ton of movies coming out this summer and was wondering which one you are looking most forward to...It can be more than one...

in no particular order

1. Transformers I grew up watching the cartoons

2. Shrek the third

3. Rise of the Silver Surfer (Hopefully Tim Story will stick to the comic)

4. Rob Zombie's Halloween--stoked!!

5. Knocked Up--looks pretty funny

6. I know pronounce you Chuck and Larry--Adam Sandler

7. Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End

8. Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix

That's about all I can think of right now :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In addition, these I want to see:

28 Weeks Later - psst, they all die!
Stardust - sounds like fun
Ocean 13 - sounds like THEY have fun
Fantastic Four - the first one's not so bad plus Jessica Alba
Evan Almighty - I hope Steve Carrell is funny
Ratatouille - this one looks better than Cars
Live Free or Die Hard - Bruce Willis returns
Hairspray - John Travolta as a fat woman?
The Simpsons Movie - Doh!
Underdog - Who wouldn't want to see this?
The Bourne Ultimatum - the first two were great

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You know what I find weird, the first fantastic four dissapointed, critics and audiences alike (aside from Michael Chikles - sp?), and yet here's the sequel and it's like everyone's forgot that the first one was rather eh. I think it's quite nice, they are actually getting a second chance, which rarely happens in film.

I really have no more to add to the lists, as I agree with them all. The summer blockbuster season is my favourite. I know, that makes me I guess superficial or something, but I love those big movies!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like movies, whether it's summer blockbusters, popcorn flicks, or deep character dramas and Oscar baits... I love them all. I don't see them as high-brow or low-brow... just something different for everyone.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You know what I find weird, the first fantastic four dissapointed, critics and audiences alike (aside from Michael Chikles - sp?), and yet here's the sequel and it's like everyone's forgot that the first one was rather eh.

That's because it still made a bunch of money. ;) Besides, I liked it. I know very little about the comics (probably a reason I had fewer problems with Spidey 3 than most), but as a film, it was entertaining. And that's the point of those kinds of films, right? To entertain us.

I'm looking forward to the sequel. Wouldn't mind seeing Ocean's 13 and Bourne Ultimatum.

I tend to spend more time during the summer renting all the movies I didn't go see over the last eight or so months of the year. Once TV shows are in reruns, I get to catch up. It takes a highly anticipated movie (or favorite actor) to get me to go to the theater. And there just aren't that many lately that can't wait for DVD rental.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Order of the Phoenix has to top my list of movies I'm looking forward to. At World's End and Shreck the Third are right up there.

I'd like to see pretty much all the others mentioned so far. I'm also hoping (crossing my fingers, praying) that Rush Hour 3 is good, but I fear it might collapse under the weight of Chris Tucker's paycheque, which (according to the Internet Movie Database) made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

:Wha:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The third Pirates - At World's End

Shrek the Third

eh . . . that's about it so far. And no, I won't go to the theater for them :) It's DVD all the way for me.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh man but you should go to the theatre for the Pirates one! That's the sort of audience who is really going to be excited and into it, I am betting, like with Harry Potter, that's going to be a fun crowd to watch a movie with. Sigh, no one wants the communal experience anymore.. .

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Definitely HP and the OOP and POtC: AWE (I just am too lazy to type out those long-ass titles.

Shrek the Third looks hilarious, so we're taking the offspring animal to see that.

You know what this all REALLY means... lots of awesome new DVD's for Christmas this year!

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I'd like to see pretty much all the others mentioned so far. I'm also hoping (crossing my fingers, praying) that Rush Hour 3 is good, but I fear it might collapse under the weight of Chris Tucker's paycheque, which (according to the Internet Movie Database) made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

:Wha:

I shall answer with my favorite wtf emoticon right along with you, ChunckyC. :Wha:

Now I'm convinced Hollywood only exists in the mind of some asylum-bound lunatic somewhere if ANYONE thinks that Chris Tucker deserves more than minimum wage for his over the top antics that are described by some as 'acting'. Yes, I liked the first Rush Hour, 2 was okay, and I'll probably rent 3 eventually, but I won't pay $9 to see it.

I really want to see the Borne Ultimatum in theaters. I didn't really catch on until after the DVD releases and fell in love with the movies. It's the only thing I've seen Matt Damon in (apart from Dogma) which I really enjoyed.

And Fantastic Four was a good two hours of entertainment for me. Of course, I adore Ioan Griffud, so, that didn't hurt either. It even made Jessica Alba tolerable. :wag:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
To be honest, I wasn't really interested in any of the summer offerings until you guys mentioned there was going to be another Fantastic Four.

Oh, and Ratatoille.

And please, let Underdog just go direct to disk and spare me the pain of more childhood memories being trampled upon.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I with you there, Shadow.

Youngsters unfamiliar with the cartoons might like Underdog the movie, if it's reasonably well done. But I fear it could be a huge failure in the eyes of those of us who loved the cartoon as a kid. Just look at films like Popeye, Scooby Doo and Garfield. To many of those who grew up on the cartoons, the movie versions sucked. (at least Scooby in the movies looked like Scooby from the cartoon, and the actor who played Shaggy captured him as well as anyone could expect)

Yes, you can say we're older and no longer capable of viewing these films through the eyes of a child, but watching the original cartoons is still fun. It's easy to compare how we enjoy the cartoons even now, with how well or poorly the movies compare with the source material.

I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Pirates 3 and the Order of the Phoenix are two I'm waiting to see. I lked F4 the first time round (inspite of Hornblower's American accent) and would like to see the sequel. I figure the first wasn't what I would call great, so the second has to have a good chance at being better.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to 28 Weeks Later, but it was disappointing. IMO, anyone who liked 28 Days Later for the gore & action will like 28WL, but if you liked the first one for the story . . . :Shrug:

Still looking forward to The Transformers, Fantastic Four, The Simpsons, & the new Die Hard & Stephen King movies. Should've released the Transformers movie in 2005, their opening was already written! :ROFL:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I already have tickets for At World's End. I'm driving to a theater over an hour away because they're having a special 8PM show on 5/24 (the day before the movie officially comes out). Then, of course, I intend to see it at least fifteen more times before I rush to the store at midnight to buy the DVD the night it comes out :D
(I only saw Dead Mans Chest thirteen times in theaters, so I intend to beat that with AWE)
There's a bunch of other movies I'd like to see, but POTC is going to take my entire moviegoing budget, so I'll have to catch the others on DVD.

(Who, me, obsessed?)

Reaction score
RAY!
I'm going to see this TONIGHT! you couldn't have waited 3hours?

yeah..what the F?

Evan Almighty
Oceans
Live Free or Die Hard

That's about it.

Man, I remember the days when we had movies like A Few Good Men or Goodfellas or even great popcorn flicks like Independence Day or Armageddon.

Hollywood is in a miserable slump right now.

Last edited:

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking forward to Pirates 3 and Harry Potter 5, but the ones I'm really looking forward to this year are Stardust and The Golden Compass.

Also, farther in the future and possibly off-topic for this thread, I am anticipating the fourth Jurassic Park movie. I know the third one was bad, but they've got William Monahan on board to write the next one. He wrote Kingdom of Heaven and The Departed. I'm guessing this will be an improvement on the screenwriter who brought us JP3 and Eragon. There's also a rumor that Spielberg might be back to direct.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hmmmm....sounds to me like for my money, summer is going to be a time to stay at home and catch up on films from years past that I haven't seen yet.

I do like the "Bourne" movies but not well enough to go to the theater.

What is the Stephen King movie that's coming out?

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
The Mist, I think. He's also sold the rights to The Dark Tower, but production on that will probably not begin for another year or two.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spielberg back with Indy4 and JP4? Love it -- that boy has been doing serious adult dramas for too long.
He does great drama, but I too am looking forward to him doing a few popcorn movies like these, 'coz he's darn good at them too.