What is Level 1 Anaesthesia Like?

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've been under level 3 which I don't look forward to doing again. I now have to have Level 1. So what is the scoop from those of you who have experienced it?

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Level 1, from what I remember--you don't have a breathing tube. A few months ago I had an MRI with Anaesthesia--and no breathing tube... When I had level 3 though for my surgery, I did and don't remember thing.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Being awake but numb?

Like when you have a baby? I luvs me some epidurals. You think you can walk, but you can't!

I've only been put to sleep once, and it was so creepy waking up in a different place...I much prefer to stay awake.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Being awake but numb?

I don't think anything is numb but you are awake and able to communicate. I'd just like to know what it's like before I have it done.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I've been knocked out for minor surgery, but they never told me what level it was. On my honeymoon (yes, my honeymoon) I had major back spasms and the resort doctor gave me a shot. I don't know what it was, but it didn't do a damned thing. Nothing, I tell ya!!!

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've been knocked out for minor surgery, but they never told me what level it was. On my honeymoon (yes, my honeymoon) I had major back spasms and the resort doctor gave me a shot. I don't know what it was, but it didn't do a damned thing. Nothing, I tell ya!!!

Knocked out is level 3.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
So what exactly is level 1? A local? Kinda like what the dentist gives you? Or like my epis?

I think you'll be fine if they're blocking any pain and you're aware of what's going on, so long as you're not freaked out by blood (if there is any) and you don't get a woody from the hot nurse (especially if said nurse is, um, male).

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
sorry I can't answer your question, RT, but so hope it all works out well for you. You're in my thoughts & prayers. :Hug2:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'm guessing level 1 is the "conscious sedation" or "twilight anesthesia". You're somewhat conscious, but you don't remember anything. I'm looking into getting this for some upcoming dental work. I've not had it done, but most people I know who've had it say you don't remember anything.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing level 1 is the "conscious sedation" or "twilight anesthesia". You're somewhat conscious, but you don't remember anything. I'm looking into getting this for some upcoming dental work. I've not had it done, but most people I know who've had it say you don't remember anything.

This is dental. You are conscious to the point of being able to answer questions etc. I don't know about the forgetting part. I really don't understand why that level of sedation is required. I think just being numb would cover it. They gave me a valium to take an hour before I get there, then I get the anesthesia plus a pain killer in the drip. I'm not having it until mid-end of June so maybe by then I can find someone who has actually experienced it.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
So what exactly is level 1? A local? Kinda like what the dentist gives you? Or like my epis?

It's a general. A local is like novocaine. This does more than that I'm just not sure what.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
This is dental. You are conscious to the point of being able to answer questions etc. I don't know about the forgetting part. I really don't understand why that level of sedation is required. I think just being numb would cover it. They gave me a valium to take an hour before I get there, then I get the anesthesia plus a pain killer in the drip. I'm not having it until mid-end of June so maybe by then I can find someone who has actually experienced it.

That's conscious sedation/twilight anesthesia, as I described in my post. Everyone I've spoken to who's had it says that you're really just out of it. You're conscious enough to answer questions, but you're not really "there". My dentist doesn't put in a drip -- just nitrous oxide and a tablet of diazepam (sp?) taken an hour prior.

Depending on the amount of work that's being done, the dentist may be recommending it because it allows you to relax completely, especially your jaw. I know that's one reason I *HAD* to have general (that surgeon didn't do conscious sedation) when I had my wisdom teeth out: because of my prior jaw injury, I needed to be knocked all the way out to relax my jaw enough to get in there and get my WT without injuring my jaw further.

I'm having conscious sedation for my dental work because a) needle phobia, b) extreme phobia of dentists, c) prior jaw injury (sedation = relaxation = less strain/pain on my jaw), d) I have a tendency to metabolize local anesthetic too quickly. Novacaine doesn't do jack shit for me, and marcaine (the STRONG stuff) only lasts as long on me as novocaine does on normal people and that's only if I'm given two full doses with an extra half dose later on. Marcaine leaves most people numb for about 8 hours; I have full sensation back within 2. So...anything they can do to knock me the fuck out while they're working on my mouth...I'm all for it (and that says a lot: I generally avoid drugs of any kind unless it's an extreme circumstance).

If nothing else, ask your dentist WHY this needs to be done instead of a simple local. If he can't offer a compelling reason, don't consent to the sedation.

Reaction score
Is this what us Brits would call local anaesthetic?

ETA: If it's general, I've been knocked out for dental work. A jab in the arm, the dentist told me to count back from ten. I got to about six and fell asleep. When I woke up I felt a pain in my mouth and was bleeding.

Bit like rohypnol really...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Is this what us Brits would call local anaesthetic?

ETA: If it's general, I've been knocked out for dental work. A jab in the arm, the dentist told me to count back from ten. I got to about six and fell asleep. When I woke up I felt a pain in my mouth and was bleeding.

Bit like rohypnol really...

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was so exhausted from being up all night the night before* that I fell asleep before they even put the needle in my arm. LOL I asked the surgeon later, "You DID still knock me out though, right? Just in case?"

* Was up all night worrying if my husband's 3-week training exercise at sea had just turned into an unexpected deployment, and got the call while in the waiting room that morning that, yes, he'd be gone 6+ months.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...what she said... You don't remember a whole lot--when I had my MRI I remember sliding in the tube and then fell asleep.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Yeah...what she said... You don't remember a whole lot--when I had my MRI I remember sliding in the tube and then fell asleep.

Man, I wish they sedated me when I had my MRI's. I wasn't scared or anything...just bored outta my mind. Couldn't even have a book or anything...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Is that like a brain scan?

Did they find one? :D

They found a little speck, but the biopsy was negative for brain cells. *sigh* Better luck on the next one, I guess.

And in all seriousness...I WAS having my head scanned due to migraines and a bizarre, unexplained (at the time) vision problem...but I also had MRI's done on both knees to diagnose a problem, and was supposed to have one on my shoulder, but decided not to.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I had an MRI on my lower spine---found a herniated disk--at least that's what I was told. I never saw the films **that's another story in itself**

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
When I hear of a woman who has sore knees, Dr Nichola makes the same diagnosis every time...;)

Sadly, Dr Nichola was mistaken about my injuries, just like she was mistaken with her diagnosis about my dislocated jaw. :D Neither, unfortunately, were a result of anything FUN.