Eureka - SciFi Channel

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting, but worried they might put it in the same time and night slot as one of my other shows. Hate when they do that. Be okay if they run it twice a week like they did before.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Waiting, but worried they might put it in the same time and night slot as one of my other shows. Hate when they do that. Be okay if they run it twice a week like they did before.
That's why you should get a DVR or TiVo! It'll change your life!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't live without the DVR and TiVo now - but don't worry, Mel, Sci-Fi channel always shows these things in two times on the first day, then repeats them another day within that week. :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Whew! I'm glad it's not just me.

In that other thread about shows you don't like, everyone keeps bashing the shows I watch, but I don't feel I can contribute because that list is long. I don't watch much TV.

Of course, I am getting DVR very soon, so I will much happier then.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, there's that little thing called money. What extra we have this year will, hopefully, go into my kitchen. ::it's a sad looking thing:: A new backyard fence, maybe. Besides, we only have 5 TVs and VCR's to go with each, although one TV isn't hooked up. That said, I could tape stuff, just never get around to it. Really, I don't have shows every night to watch, just a few nights a week. I'll survive. :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I love Eureka, it's quirky and offbeat. I even watched the webisodes! But I think I'll skip the season 1 marathon; they ran those eps over and over for a while, and I've seen each one at least five times. So bring on the new season! Also can't wait for the new season of Ghost Hunters, and crossing my fingers for a second season of Dresden Files. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that other thread about shows you don't like, everyone keeps bashing the shows I watch.

That used to bug me, then I figured - who cares? We all like different things, which is why there's so much different stuff on. I can't stand a lot of TV, and really don't watch very much on a regular basis - but I learned not to mention too many of my must sees just because they're usually on other people's lists of must avoids!

We all just find different things in different shows that strike different cords that can't, and don't ever have to be, explained :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
That used to bug me, then I figured - who cares? We all like different things, which is why there's so much different stuff on. I can't stand a lot of TV, and really don't watch very much on a regular basis - but I learned not to mention too many of my must sees just because they're usually on other people's lists of must avoids!

We all just find different things in different shows that strike different cords that can't, and don't ever have to be, explained :)

I agree. I've discovered through the years that my tastes are vastly different than the majority, because things I like keep getting cancelled by networks or bashed by critics. So, I've learned to love Netflix and Directv, because I can piece together my own strange little TVLand.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

But the funny thing is that 2 or 3 of the shows I love, you hate! Made me think, Hmm, I thought we had a bit in common. Oh well. I don't worry about it, but I just don't have time to watch everything, so I pick what I like.

Which brings me back to the topic. "When Eureka returns, I told my husband, I will have the control of the TV for that evening."

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie Thread Resurrection!

I knew this day would come...

Syfy is doing a crossover.
Claudia, from Warehouse 13, will be making an appearance in episode 5 of season 4 of Eureka, "Crossing Over.' Premieres August 6th.

Goes to push the button labeled, "For when that day comes."

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Such sad sad day when Sci Fi (I refuse to acknowledge NBC's idiocy of the other spelling) decided to cancel Eureka. This coming is the final season.

They CLAIM its too expensive to produce.
I think that they just don't know good television when they see it.

PamelaCaves

I'm not a fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pamelacaves.com
Such sad sad day when Sci Fi (I refuse to acknowledge NBC's idiocy of the other spelling) decided to cancel Eureka. This coming is the final season.

They CLAIM its too expensive to produce.
I think that they just don't know good television when they see it.

Yeah, I call BS on it being too expensive to produce when there are a ton of other shows with just as many effects and such on SyFail. Not to mention that mini-series "Neverland" they ran a few weeks ago (which looks like a lead in to a new series in development). Tell me THAT didn't cost a lot to make.

I stopped watching a lot of SyFy shows because of this. They keep canceling shows before they are fully developed and they continue to make new ones that aren't up to the standards of the ones they are canceling. It makes no sense to me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Their expense isn't coming from the effects; it's coming from the cast. Once they've been on the show long enough to renegotiate their contracts, it becomes cheaper to start over with new people than to keep the established ones. (Look at the massive turn over on the network in general.)

Shows shot in Vancouver are there to make things quick and cheap, but once a show becomes a hit, it gives the cast negotiating power. When Eureka first aired, Stargate was the moneymaker on Sci-Fi, but it was also the biggest money drain because the principal cast was so large. (Also the reason only one cast member ever "starred" in a spin-off, while the others were listed as guests. It changed their pay grade.)

Eureka started going down hill when they kept such a tight rein on the money that the actors had to look elsewhere for income. They never should have gotten rid of Allison's ex.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
That's actually a pretty good explanation. Maybe they all had five-year contracts?

I'm all set on enjoying the heck out of this season. The show got a bit weak around S2 but has been going uphill ever since. I do appreciate a show going out when it's going strong rather than carrying on until nobody cares anymore, including the creators. And I like when they know long enough in advance to make the final season matter. Here's hoping for the finale. And for a nice, affordable complete series DVD box set. Just got one of those for Hustle. Makes up for a lot.

Just noticed: this is almost exactly what I said in the Fringe thread a while ago. Except for the box set thing 'cause I really only just got the Hustle one.