Writers Group Let Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

James M M Baldwin

Caught Somewhere in Time
Registered
Reaction score
Hello:
I just wanted to share a little story about an amature author, and my attempt to do something to advance my carreer. Our local Barnes and Noble Booksellers listed a writers group on the calendar on their website. I decided that might be a good place to make a contact or learn some valuable information to help in my goal of getting published. Wrong. I was the only one to show up. It’s hard to have a group with just one person. Needless to say, two days of depression followed, so I thought this post might help relieve some of the disappointment. Whew. Thanks, I feel a little better…sort of.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Start your own!

That's what I did. Took awhile, has had its ups and downs, but we have a good core group now.

I'd heard the local bookstore group liked to flame and preen, and who needs that? (One of my members went there last month, and they've calmed down somewhat.)

PM me if you want the hows.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo callalily--start your own group. That's what we did, 16 years ago. Still chugging along.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hello:
I just wanted to share a little story about an armature author, and my attempt to do something to advance my carreer. Our local Barnes and Noble Booksellers listed a writers group on the calendar on their website. I decided that might be a good place to make a contact or learn some valuable information to help in my goal of getting published. Wrong. I was the only one to show up. It’s hard to have a group with just one person. Needless to say, two days of depression followed, so I thought this post might help relieve some of the disappointment. Whew. Thanks, I feel a little better…sort of.

Yeah, I would love to find a group in my own little city but there doesn't seem to be one. I've toyed with the idea of trying to start one but I don't think I'd be the right person.

Mind you in a little town down the road, my birthplace and where I spent my childhood, there is one. The place is called Stratford and everything is done in a Shakesperian theme... I lived on Juliet Street which had an intersection with Romeo Street etc. Couldn't help but be a pretty cool group one would think? ;) I'm going to check it out, it's ony half an hour away.

But point is, I know how frustrating it can be. I think social contact with other writers would really add a dimension to my life.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
We're a pretty good writers group right here - and there's always a crowd!

But I echo everyone else's suggestion: start your own. Who better to do it?
Best of luck with it, and remember, you always have us.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Don't give up! It can take awhile to find the right one. Like any relationship, "chemistry" is important and hard to create.

I've had great experiences in a class taught through the local university extension division (I'm lucky to have a fine one close by: UC-Berkeley), in groups led by a writing teacher--and mixed experiences in groups that began when someone posted in craigslist and I responded. This last route can definitely work, but can be up and down till you find a group that gels.

Good luck!

Susan

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you are not alone there. I'm an aussie and I have the same sort of problems here. I lurk a fair bit on SYW waiting to value add somewhere. It can be daunting posting there for the world to see - but rewarding all the same.

For me, I may have to wait for the akiwiguy to settle in Aus.:)

JJ

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a backwoods, po-dunk town, and there are no writers (writers' ?) groups for miles around. Heck, there aren't any real *towns* for miles around...we drive 30 minutes for basic groceries. :Shrug:

I tried to get an E-mail based group going, but it just sort of fizzled. Everyone said, "Sure, I'll join - once you get it going." No one wanted to be first. Or even second.

Then I found AW. YAY AW! :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

This is my writing group, for now. As much time as I spend here, I don't really have time for anything else, anyway.

:e2grouphu <<<here's a writers group icon. You can imagine yourself as any color smiley you want. Except green. I call green.

:D

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
you're better off. you should see the writers group i tried to join once (over here at one end of the world) -- all have English as a second language... talk about learning stuff!

James M M Baldwin

Caught Somewhere in Time
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't even know what goes on in a writers' group, but I was really looking forward to finding out. Perhaps this is the best type of writers' group, but to me, no electronic transacting could take the place of a face to face, back and fourth exchange.

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
Posted this on another thread - we had a local writing group - led by a guy who wanted everyone to edit his manuscript...needless to say it broke up. Nick Sparks used to host a writing group before he became fregging rich, I know one lady who attended - held at a local B&B. The B&B now tells everyone who comes in that Sparks got his start in their living room.

I like face to face interaction, our area has a number of published authors and writer wantabes, one could probably get started if wine and cheese was served.

my thoughts...now I need a drink...

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
It might take lots of running starts, or many days of sitting at the table by yourself for a few hours. Go read The Writing Group Book (Lisa Rosenthal, ed.), where you can drop in on a couple dozen groups respresenting a wide variety of needs & experiences. My impression is that the most successful groups therein started from two or three dedicated people, who learned to work together as they carefully added members here&there.

A friend suggested that you have a "core group" of dedicated let's-all-get-published writers, & then do a public event every few months, featuring a speaker on a specific general topic. From there, you can keep your eyes open for others who seem like they might fit into the core group, & invite the occasional luminary to drop by for the core group.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
But point is, I know how frustrating it can be. I think social contact with other writers would really add a dimension to my life.

It is a huge relief to be able to talk to another writer at times, RIGHT Lady Cat??? To commiserate with someone who has also written themselves into a corner, or share their joy when a scene works out just right.

Who says you can't start the group? I think the trick would be to find a really good second in command! Haha! We're writers, right? We make it up as we go!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Print up several copies of a small notice and ask your library to put them on their rack. You might be surprised to learn there are several closet writers just looking for a chance to join you.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sounds great, Lady Cat.. do you want to get together, or meet online? hahaha! Who's making the cookies? Oh, and I have to show you my "new" Jonathan Livingston Seagull writer's notebook. Squee! I am far too excited, but my book is shiny and has lots of pages! I can write about plot outlines or character development.. anytime, anywhere! Woohoo! Pass the sweet tea.. I'm parched thinking about it.. ^_^

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I tried a local writing group once, and everyone was really nice. Too nice. I don't want to be slammed and criticized all the time, but this group was so afraid to say anything bad about anyone else's work that it was useless. If something isn't right I need to know so I can fix it. Just having everyone say everyone else's work is great was no help at all.

Be gentle, but be honest.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lady Cat and I get together with her cats and they tell us what they think of us. Not so many writing tips from them, though. I vary between prodding LC into writing diligently, and flogging her for not editing my previous work. I think I'm overworking her.. sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.