PDA

View Full Version : Popular TV shows you don't like...

maestrowork
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Have no interest in:

American Idol
most reality shows
Soprano
Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy (actually, most hospital shows except Scrubs)
all variations of CSI

What can I say? I'm not really a TV person. :)

Uma
05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I agree with your list except for Sopranos, even as an ex-pat I'm a Jersey girl at heart.

Despite being the right demographic I must admit that I abhor most TV shows targeted to women my age. I cannot sit through an episode of Gray's Anatomy and the reruns of Ally McBeal make my skin crawl. Sex and the City I just found dull.

That being said I do watch Desperate Housewives but only because I have a strange strange Kyle MacLachlan fetish (I still think Twin Peaks is pretty much the only show really worth watching). For the same reason I sat through more episodes of Sex & the City then I would like to admit.

I only admit this here because everyone I know loves and adores these shows and I usually just keep my mouth shut.

MidnightMuse
05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
House
American Idol
Survivor
CSI
CSI Miami
Lost
Gray's Anatomy
ER
Desperate Housewives
Law & Order: Sport Utility Vehicle( :D )
Criminal Minds
Medium
that other Medium show with the younger girl
Bones
Shark

hmm, maybe it'd be easier to just say what little I DO like :)

Southern_girl29
05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Any and all of the CSIs, although I did watch the first season of the Los Vegas one.
Desperate Housewives
Gray's Anatomy
Dancing with the Stars
The Bachelor and Bachelorette (are they even still showing this?)

Writer2011
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Everything that's on right now--have lost all interest in television

askeladd
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
The thing is that popularity generally appeals to the lowest common denominator, and hence to the average Joe. Since I am definitely not average, I can't say that I find any of that stuff appealing.

pconsidine
05-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Given that I generally dislike procedurals of any kind (Law and Order, CSI, House, etc.) and I'm on a "reality TV" strike out of solidarity with my TV writer friends, that leaves probably about six or seven shows to even talk about.

And I only like three of those.

Husker@Heart
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
CSI is at the top of my list! I just can't stand that show (or any of it's genre really...)

Jersey Chick
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy
CSI Miami
American Idol (once the auditions are over, what's the point?)
Lost
The Sopranos

There are actually only 4 shows I make a point of watching. Three are network, but the fourth one is Rescue Me, which I think is the best show on television.

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
The Sopranos. Another 'cheer for the dirtbag' show. Nu-uh, don't care how cool the theme song is.
24. Rhymes with snore, say no more.
All the CSIs after they kept getting more and more gross. Don't need gross in my life.
Most reality TV shows, especially Fear Factor. More gross I don't need.
Ghost Whisperer. As dumb as Charmed, another show I couldn't stand.
Friends. Never, ever 'got' this show.

CheshireCat
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
The thing is that popularity generally appeals to the lowest common denominator, and hence to the average Joe. Since I am definitely not average, I can't say that I find any of that stuff appealing.

The thing is that blanket statements tend to be wrong and usually offensive to somebody. :)

I enjoy both television and movies. I also write for a mass audience, and am rather successful at it. Judging by the other successful writers I know, I have a hunch the two things are not unrelated.

In other words, if you scorn what's popular with "the average Joe," then I certainly hope you aren't trying to write for the popular, mass market.

All that said, I despise reality shows, and most "competition" shows like American Idol; I've watched most of Idol this season, but got both irritated and bored, and pretty much bailed.

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I know Gray's Anatomy is hugely popular, but I just thought it was boring the time I tried to watch it. Same with House, although I do like Hugh Laurie.

I don't get American Idol. And Desperate Housewives lost me after the first season.

And why, in the name of all that is holy, is Two and a Half Men still on? Does ANYONE watch it?

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
*raises hand*

My wife and I love Two and a half Men. :)

While I'm at it, let me add my voice to the 'don't like Gray's Anatomy' chorus. Oh, almost forgot: That Navy NCIS thing. You can't tell me those bickering twits are elite military criminal investigators. How that show ever got nominated for an Emmy is beyond me.

askeladd
05-11-2007, 12:45 AM
The thing is that blanket statements tend to be wrong and usually offensive to somebody. :)

I enjoy both television and movies. I also write for a mass audience, and am rather successful at it. Judging by the other successful writers I know, I have a hunch the two things are not unrelated.

In other words, if you scorn what's popular with "the average Joe," then I certainly hope you aren't trying to write for the popular, mass market.

I was merely making an observation, and it was not my intention to be offensive. But by its very nature, a key component of popularity is to have broadest appeal to a (target) market. Most of the time, that does mean reducing things to the lowest common denominator.

Since I don't share these tastes, at least with regards to television programming, I find very few contemporary shows appealing. Ditto with movies. I don't see it as a question of right or wrong, just different strokes and marching to the beat of a different drummer and all that.

If I despise pistachio ice cream, then that's my preference and I really don't care if 98% of the populace raves about it. But that wouldn't necessarily preclude me from making pistachio ice cream and selling it to those who love the stuff - indeed, a smart businessman would seek to take advantage of its popularity. Nothing wrong, as long as no principles are compromised in doing so.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Quite so. To each his or her own. If you find something entertaining, that's great. We should all have something we find enjoyable. :)

seun
05-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Any reality TV can burn for all I care. And I mean that literally. It is my fond hope that on the first night of the next series of Big Brother - or as it's also known, that vile pile of stinking pus that pretends to be something more than a tacky route to fame for talentless, pointless non entities desperate to validate their shallow lives by achieving their fifteen seconds - the house burns down and everyone involved dies.

Will Lavender
05-11-2007, 01:11 AM
When the slow rock song loops start in the last 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy, those songs that tell me How I Should Feel, I want to choke somebody.

Worst popular entertainment of all time, maybe.

jvc
05-11-2007, 01:19 AM
And why, in the name of all that is holy, is Two and a Half Men still on? Does ANYONE watch it?

I have to admit I love this show, it is very funny :) .

Popular TV shows I just don't like include just about any reality TV, which goes double for big brother. And of course Lost, the most boring show ever to get commisioned.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah, LOST should get lost. ;) It's worse than Gilligan's Island for all the people and stuff that keep popping up on this supposedly middle-of-nowhere island. :tongue

At least based on what I've seen in the commercials for it and the few times I've surfed by and watched for a few minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.

maestrowork
05-11-2007, 01:28 AM
I happen to like Two and a Half Men. I like the Monday night line-up, actually. I think How I Met Your Mother is hilarious -- love Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan in it.

Don't care much for 24 -- it's a silly thriller.

MidnightMuse
05-11-2007, 01:42 AM
I'll admit to liking Two and a Half Men. At first I thought it had to be the stupidest thing out there - without watching it. Then I caught an episode, surprised myself by laughing, caught another one - now I watch it weekly.

ChaosTitan
05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
All current sitcoms.
American Idol (the theme song sends me into fits)
Big Brother/Survivor/Real World/The Bachelor/INSERT REALITY SHOW HERE
Any CSI incarnation
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Desperate Housewives
Brothers & Sisters

There are too many "past popular" shows to list. I only stick with about 5-6 shows per TV season, so there are more shows on my Don't Watch/Don't Like list than on the Can't Miss TV list.

blacbird
05-11-2007, 03:15 AM
1. Friends. (Thank God it's gone now.)
2. American Idol. (We can only pray for deliverance).

caw

CheshireCat
05-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I was merely making an observation, and it was not my intention to be offensive.

Yes, that's why I added a smiley.

But by its very nature, a key component of popularity is to have broadest appeal to a (target) market. Most of the time, that does mean reducing things to the lowest common denominator.

Since I don't share these tastes, at least with regards to television programming, I find very few contemporary shows appealing. Ditto with movies. I don't see it as a question of right or wrong, just different strokes and marching to the beat of a different drummer and all that.

If I despise pistachio ice cream, then that's my preference and I really don't care if 98% of the populace raves about it. But that wouldn't necessarily preclude me from making pistachio ice cream and selling it to those who love the stuff - indeed, a smart businessman would seek to take advantage of its popularity. Nothing wrong, as long as no principles are compromised in doing so.

Nothing wrong with marching to a different drummer.

But don't kid yourself about the difference between pistachio ice cream and fiction. You can produce the former on autopilot as long as you have the tools, ingredients, and a decent recipe.

Try the same thing with fiction, in particular if you scorn and/or fail to understand the tastes of your target audience, and I can pretty much guarantee you'll fail.

But keep marching. No skin off my nose.

:)

gem1122
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
House
hmm, maybe it'd be easier to just say what little I DO like :)

I agree. I despise most TV shows, including any and all reality shows, crime dramas, and sitcoms. The only thing I watch are football and a few documentary-type shows from the History Channel, HGTV, Discovery Channel, etc. Oh, and Jon Stewart. Oh, and I really got into Battlestar Gallactica at the end of this last season.

Other than that, it all sucks.

Storyteller5
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I could make a shorter list of the shows I like. ;)

Here are some highlights on my hated list. I can't stand so called reality TV. No Survivor or American Idol. Desperate Housewives? The word insipid comes to mind. Can't stand David Caruso so CSI Miami is most definitely out. I can't stand Oprah because she's so damn self important. I refuse to waste time on The View. Actually, daytime tv tends to be nothing but garbage.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I can't stand Oprah because she's so damn self important.
Anyone who puts themselves on the cover of their own magazine each month is certainly not lacking in self-esteem. ;)

maestrowork
05-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm starting a Maestro Magazine and you'll damn sure you'll see me on every cover.

Dave.C.Robinson
05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Let's see-- I don't think there's been a watchable sitcom made in the US since either Barney Miller or M*A*S*H. Things like Friends and Seinfeld are so offensive I can't stand being in the same room if they're on.

So we can probably safely say I'm not much of a TV person. I don't mind Law & Order but really I can go months without watching TV and not miss it.

With the majority of sitcoms my issue is that the plots all seem to be so stupid and contrived that I just get angry. Most of the humor revolves about placing someone in an embarassing situation because a completely idiotic series of circumstances caused them not to see the single most obvious explanation for a situation.

I don't like so-called "Reality TV" because I find most of it morally objectionable. Most of them seem to revolve around isolating a group of people and then having them conspire to backstab each other so that one can win a large sum of money. It rewards selfishness and pettiness. I don't support them because they (unlike almost any other genre of TV) are saying that the way to succeed is to be dishonorable and untrustworthy.

No thanks.

BenPanced
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
The Shield. I don't care if they're on basic cable and can swear. I can't get past the hatred and anger these characters have for themselves and each other.

The Closer. Every episode has her complaining about why everybody thinks she's such a bitch but gives them more ammunition 30 seconds later.

Any of the CSI shows, from Original Recipe down to Gnaw Bone, Indiana. My sister loves them, though; she's a med tech and enjoys the comedy value of them pulling the solutions out of thin air in 1/10th of the time these tests take (people, there's a reason why the doctor tells you "I'll have these results next week"!).

I'm incredibly ambivalent about Desperate Housewives right now. I used to be the biggest cheerleader for it but it's slowly going down the terlit for me. They recently pulled the "let's introduce a potentially fatal disease" stunt for the season cliffhanger. If it doesn't really pick up next season, I'm probably not sticking with it for the remaining three on schedule.

There's no such thing as a "reality" show. It's either a game show or documentary.

Who's up for stormin' some ramparts? We need to make sure Deal Or No Deal, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?, and National Bingo Night don't make it to the end of this year.

pconsidine
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
We need to make sure Deal Or No Deal, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?, and National Bingo Night don't make it to the end of this year.I'm with you, even though I can't imagine they won't. After all, they're so stupid and so cheap to make, how can they not suceed?

Bingo? Really?

:(

MidnightMuse
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Put a handful of fifth graders in the path of that giant bingo ball I saw in the promo, then bet on how many are knocked out in one pass.

Now that's a deal or no deal I could get onboard with !

zahra
05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Desperate Housewives, yawn. Hated Sex and City. All reality TV makes me fly into a rage. Really wanted to like Jericho, but the first and second episodes drowned me in cliches, so I gave up. And, King of Queens - thank God that's the end of that pile of tat.

Never did get into ER, either.

In the UK: the cosy Sunday dramas e like Wild at Heart are enough to depress anyone, without the looming of Monday morning, and why is The Bill (stupid police soap where most of the officers are constantly sleeping with criminals, or murdering people, or kidnapping each other, or used to be in EastEnders, all with terrible dialogue and worse acting) still dragging its pathetic arse round our screens? And Casualty and Holby City?

blacbird
05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Everyone may be pleased to know that, for the first time in over 30 years, NBC is offering ZERO new sitcoms for their fall schedule. The reason? They haven't been able to find any with even a minimal feel of possible success since Seinfeld ended nine years ago. It seems the formulaic half-hour sitcom may have run its course the way the Western did back in the 1960s. R.I.P.

Now, if we can just get the "Reality" genre to do the same.

caw

ChaosTitan
05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Now, if we can just get the "Reality" genre to do the same.

caw

Sadly, with the threat of a writer's strike looming in the fall, networks are starting heavy production of more reality shows.

God help us.

blacbird
05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
They really want a "reality" show, they can come to my house. Just this morning I changed the cat litter. Should make for riveting TV, don't you think? And I don't charge much if they want to video me doing it, neither.

Lesseeeee . . . we could call the show . . . "House" . . . no, wait, that's taken, isn't it?

caw

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Pretty much anything on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, and whatever else is on over-the-air TV.

mdin
05-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Really wanted to like Jericho, but the first and second episodes drowned me in cliches, so I gave up.

Jericho is on CBS, so cliches come with the territory. Still, you should give it another chance. Other than Heroes, it was my favorite show this season. They just had their finale last week.