Excuses

Jyndral

I mis-read the post title tacked at the top of this. I just read it as "Writing Excuses, Promps, and Games." My oops.

But, what are some of the best/worst excuses you've used to justify not writing?

(I know probably not now, but what you used to say/use/do?)

~Jen

Jyndral

Go to humour writting, See weekend progress report.

Maybe I should. Nita (ritinrider) keeps telling me I should.

Oh, great. Now she'll see this and I'll really hear it. Maybe I should hide? :gone

~Jen

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
An excuse for not writing.

:snoopy: My brain is being occupied by Pac Man figures and besides all that my dog ate the cable to the PC. Another one is this. It is hard to write and sit on the throne at the same time unless you want an essay on radiation poops complete with aroma and black mold producing side effects.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
My usual excuse seems to be "I can't write today, I've got too many ideas".

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Another excuse

:scared: I forgot to take my antidepressant and the voices won't shut up long enough for me to type. They keep changing the words to my poems.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I died.

or the current one:

I can't tell you why I haven't written anything, as I'm having an arguement with my subconscious right now.

McCann

Registered
Reaction score
Jyndral said:
But, what are some of the best/worst excuses you've used to justify not writing?
~Jen

Seeing as how I have never even attempted to get published, I have millions of these. I've thought of writing a lot, but never do. A friend of mine keeps pushing me. I'm starting to get a bit serious about it.

Ray's top 10 list of why I have never really tried to write something. (other than my Super Herman the Eraser comic in 6th grade)

#1)
I have ADHD. I can't finish anything.

#2)
I always forget things. I'd never get something done.

#3)
I suck at writing. I'm a math teacher for a reason.

#4)
Who wants to read a short story about robot woodchucks taking over Florida, anyway?

#5)
Someone's already written something like this.

#6)
Why does everything I write eventually involve woodchucks?

#7)
I'd rather be playing everquest.
(or Star Wars Galaxies, or Temple of elemental evil, or anyother of the 100+ games I own - not an exageration.)

#8)
I have so many hobbies/interests that I never finish or give up on, why would this be any different. (music, art, martial arts, clearning, etc)

#9)
I don't own a cat. Isn't that a requirement?

#10)
I always forget things. I'd never get something done. Wait.. this sounds familiar.

Seriously - my main problem is that I, at one point, had 25 different stories started. I would work on one and then switch. I'd get frustrated and delete them all. Sigh. My lack of ability to finish ANYTHING makes me upset.

But to quote Nightcourt "but I'm feeling much better now"

Ray M

screenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me?

So many excuses so little time.

1. I need another writing book/magazine to really focus my ideas.

2. I'll start tomorrow.

3. I need a new pen/journal/notebook/writing program/writing friends ... etc ...

4. I need some cigarettes/coffee

5. If only I had some pot ... (Well, I have thought it)

GailKavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.valeofavondale.com
``If I write this, it will come true..."

Blame all that new age visualisation stuff. But sometimes there are spooky coincidences - I was writing a post apocalyptic type future Greenhouse effect disaster story and I needed a name for a cyclone. (The cyclone was imperative to the story - it was to be later seen as the `turning point' and hit the night my character was born so she was named after it). Anyway I googled the name cycle of cyclones, liked Ingrid and picked it. I thought it would be some time before we had an Ingrid.
Well, a couple of days after I started the story, Cyclone Ingrid started off the coast of Queensland, where I live. It was a most peculiar cyclone. It went from Queensland to Western Australia, from one side of Oz to the other, kept slowing down and building up and lasted for days. It killed five people at sea and wrecked sopme small coastal communities.
What actually stopped me writing the story was that my granddaughter was born just after the cyclone formed and I realised she would be twenty when my story took place. I just didn't have the heart to finish it.
On the other hand, no matter how many stories I write about struggling writers being showered with multi million dollar contacts...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
-I don't drink alcohol...I think that may be a prerequisite...

-Everyone keeps asking me to lead clubs and organizations, and I'm too cowardly to say no. As such, all my time is spent working on those, and my writing time suffers.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Excuses for not writing:

Anything I write someone else has already written.

Anything I write will be [unfairly] compared to Tolkien or [insert bestselling author's name here].

I'm too young to be a writer.

I have ideas until I turn on the computer, then my mind (and screen) stay blank.

~DragonHeart~

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
My characters have hidden my pens.

Or:

My characters are playing hooky.

This last one is actually happening. I was daydreaming and came up with "What if my fantasy characters visited the Enterprise?" They haven't come back...

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
as soon as this mescaline wears off a little...

If you don't write before it wears off, you may forget all those brilliant thoughts! :idea:

My favorite excuse lately? Too much going on and I'll come back to it later.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few excuses..

(1) Everyone will think there are too many cliches

(2) I'll start tomorrow

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
"I need to do laundry/dishes."

I mean, c'mon...

"My keyboard sucks"

"But Judge Judy is on..." (this is a bad one)

"That dog keeps barking and I can't concentrate."

"I need to read something on how to write first." (I use this one a lot when I'm blocked)