Great movies you can't see again...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What are the movies you like/love but can't see again, at least for a while?

Off the top of my head:

Schindler's List
Children of Men
Jaws (when it first came out)
Se7en

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Braveheart - I loved it, thought it was great, but the end freaks me out too much. My husband watches it every time it's on, and I have to get up and leave the room when Wallace is captured. He says, "But you don't see anything." I think that's worse, actually...

I'm sure there are others, but that's my biggie.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
What are the movies you like/love but can't see again, at least for a while?

Off the top of my head:

Schindler's List
Children of Men
Jaws (when it first came out)
Se7en
To be honest, there aren't many films I can watch more than once.

Children Of Men happens to be one of those I can.

Reaction score
The Prince of Tides. I liked it, but it disturbed me too much to watch it again any time soon.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Barton Fink - awesome, but probably a one-time view for me. Film Noir in general makes me lose sleep.
Dancer in the Dark - also incredible, seen it twice, and that's enough.
Bowling for Columbine - I don't even know if I thought it was good, but it was very hard to watch, and not in a fall-asleep way.
House of Sand and Fog.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Although I didn't actually watch all of it (I had my eyes covered most of the time), The Exorcist did everything a horror film should do. It scared the bejeezus out of me. Once was enough. Never again.

Reaction score
I thought The Exorcist was a joke from start to finish. I've seen episodes of the Teletubbies that were more disturbing.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Planet of the Apes--the original, of course. I need a good chunk of time between viewings; years, at the very least.

The Usual Suspects--you can watch it twice: the second time for picking up all the clues, once you know what was going on. Once you've done that, what is there?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
"Se7en" is a brilliant movie, and I don't ever, ever need to see it again. Brr.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Night of the Living Dead.

I even bought the DVD in an attempt to watch it again, but I'm afraid to take it out of the wrapping.

I never want to see Saving Private Ryan again, but then I didn't think it was a great movie.

And although I don't want to agree with peaches, The Exorcist, I didn't see that until 20 years after it was released and by then I thought it was ho-hum. I can understand why it was probably scary in the day, but by the time I'd seen it, all that had been done before, or I'd heard it all from people who'd seen it.

But a lot of the movies you're claiming you don't want to see again, I just don't want to see in the first place. Like Schindler's List.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Se7en
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan.

I'm sure there are more, but those are three that I'm glad I saw, but don't ever want to see again.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed "The Sixth Sense" but I doubt I'd see it again. "Primal Fear" is another great one that I can't watch for a long time. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The fact that you're not disturbed by The Exorcist disturbs me more than the movie itself. ;)
I don't know... Exorcist does seem pretty tame by today's standards.

It would be like my grandfather wondering why I didn't faint everytime I saw the silent version of Phantom of the Opera.

Reaction score
Why did people get so spooked by Se7en? You could see the ending coming a mile off and it wasn't even that scary when it happened.

AzBobby

Ought to be writing instead
Registered
Reaction score
Planet of the Apes--the original, of course. I need a good chunk of time between viewings; years, at the very least.

The Usual Suspects--you can watch it twice: the second time for picking up all the clues, once you know what was going on. Once you've done that, what is there?

A lot of twist-at-the-end movies are like that. The second viewing allows you the fun of reviewing clues; unfortunately, it can help confirm plot holes you might have missed the first time. With (the first film version of) Planet of the Apes, even if you forgive the use of English and human development on a planet the astronauts take to be alien, I really wished they'd bothered with some excuse for these astronauts to never look at the night sky after they landed.

The measure of a well-made film that happens to include surprises the first time around is how much it continues to entertain with the surprises taken away. While I guessed the surprise about the Sixth Sense midway through the first viewing, I find it just as eerie on repeat viewings. Maverick is just as funny, slightly more perhaps, when you know part of the con going on.

I don't think most people remember the 1960s Planet of the Apes primarily for its twist ending, but rather for the new experience of watching fantasy creatures treated as leading characters in a film that wasn't for kids, played by famous actors covered unrecognizably in makeup. That was a new and daring idea at the time. When I first watched those movies on TV in the 70s as a child, even though the makeup technology may seem primitive compared to now, it seemed freakishly realistic at the time and the novelty was still a strong pull. And they had many scenes written with wit and humor. So even today I can watch an old Apes movie to enjoy scene by scene, often catching it on TV without having to watch all the way through, reliving that novelty entertainment.

For me I guess the common denominator is enjoyable character interaction, whether it's a comedy, drama, action film, fantasy, or whatever. That's why I never get tired of the original Stagecoach.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I keep wanting to watch 'Old Boy' again, but then I start thinking about all the awful things that happen to the main character and I don't.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I thought The Exorcist was a joke from start to finish. I've seen episodes of the Teletubbies that were more disturbing.

I saw The Exorcist when I was about 14 and it scared the poop out of me. Swore I'd go to church every day after that.

Fast foward to when my husband and I were dating. One night, we were watching it (God only knows why) and two of his friends showed up. From that moment on, it was impossible to take that movie seriously. Somehow they made it a comedy and I still laugh over it today. Sometimes it just takes a little shift in perception for horror to become comedy.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I first saw Jaws I was traumatized -- I was really, really young. My parents shouldn't have taken me at all, and then took me out to dinner afterward -- seafood, no less! My parents have a twisted, sadistic sense of humor, I guess. They still laughed at me about that.

I couldn't see that movie for the longest time. Then I was taking a Media class in college and the professor showed Jaws for one lecture. I was swearing under my breath and thought maybe I could pretend sickness and sneak out of class. But seeing it again, now that I was a grown man, and under those circumstances made it a difference experience. We talked about the filmmaking and storytelling techniques Spielberg used -- the three-act structure, foreshadowing, the various techniques of fright, suspense, conflict, etc. I was wowed and I could wait to see the film again. Suddenly I had a whole new appreciation for it.