TAlking Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
It can be really cheesy or intriguing depending on the writer. Like anything else if you can do it well you can pull it off.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I like to use talking animals as my characters instead of people. To me it's just more interesting.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
As with all things, my answer is a solid "It depends" - depends on the story, the genre, and if it's done well. It can be good... and it can suck.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Richard Adams made great talking animals. I like them in print and in animation but am not a huge fan of live action talking animals, a la "Incredible Journey"

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
What is your opinion on talking animals?

They should practice their diction. I mean, the ones that mumble. "Try to speak clearly," I say to them. They just stare at me.

Cevia's Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Richard Adams made great talking animals. I like them in print and in animation but am not a huge fan of live action talking animals, a la "Incredible Journey"

My sentiments exactly. I think if it is done seriously and is not over 'cute' it can be very powerful. Also I think the author has to have a deep understanding of an animal mind and not present them as 'furry humans.'

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Talking animals

Like just about everything else, it depends on how well the writer handles it.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean fantasy stories in which there are animals capable of speaking english, or stories in which the point of view is an animal? (and the animals then talk to each other). The latter is actually my sub-genre of choice--I grew up loving animal stories, and I'm just starting to get into writing them now. I think a well-done animal pov story can be wonderful--sure, there's the cheesy dregs out there too, but that's true of every kind of story. But the neat thing about animal stories is you can see the world from an alien perspective.

Watership Down is, of course, a classic, and is the poster child for animal stories. And although yes, the author had to give them sentience and language (an example of an animal story which doesn't do this though is Raptor Red, which was a very different and fun read), the story is still very much told from a rabbits perspective. They view things in ways a human wouldn't, and have motivations and concerns that are centered in a rabbits world. This gives the reader something exciting from a fun and interesting perspective, and at the same time, gives them something to think about.

Firebringer is a story of a similar nature only about deer; Whalesong, and it's two sequels, was a lovely story about humpback whales (unfortunately, I don't think these are in print anymore). Silverwing and it's two sequels are a totally awesome and fun story about bats. The White Bone, which I'm reading right now, is a sad and beautiful story about elephants--which deals with the real-life issues of elephant slaughter in a way that wouldn't be as powerful if it were told by a human observer. All of these (and more) are serious stories, and none of them are cheesy. You come to care about what happens to the characters just as much as if they were human, even though you are always aware that they are not. That's a sign of good storytelling.

And dammit, animal stories are just fun. ^_^

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Hmmm...that didn't work out too well for David Berkowitz.

If a talking dog is telling you to kill people--bad.

If you're reading about Fiver and Hazel--good.

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The anthropomorphic style is one of the oldest genres, dating back to Aesop. Tales about animals with human qualities and voices often convey a deeper and more poignant message than stories with exclusively human characters. And as others have already said in this thread, if it is well-written and I might add-- written from the heart, an animal allegory can make compelling reading.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I have parakeets. I deal with talking animals on a daily basis. Ever have a budgie tell you to "Hush! I'm trying to hear this!"?

Seriously, it depends on the story, but it can be a lot of fun if done right.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
In my new Children's novel, The Spirit of Beautiful Joe, I am trying to decide whether Beautiful Joe will actually speak or just communicate through regular doggie means such as whining and barking and lead the children where he wants them to go.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever read "I am a Cat" by Natsume Soseki? That was interesting.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
For children books... acceptable.

For adult books? Just plain silly. I would not pick up any book knowing beforehand it had talking animals in it.

Unless, of course, it's a wise-cracking unicorn, but that's my character, so leave it alone.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Watership Down is, of course, a classic, and is the poster child for animal stories. And although yes, the author had to give them sentience and language (an example of an animal story which doesn't do this though is Raptor Red, which was a very different and fun read), the story is still very much told from a rabbits perspective.

Wow, that's a blast from the past. Raptor Red. Great book. And a very underrated book, IMO.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I remember, the animals in the book of Incredible Journey didn't talk - that was just the Disney films.

Right, they didn't talk in the book--this was why it was a decent book and a stupid movie. If you're going to make them talk, at least make them animated.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Always

What is your opinion on talking animals?

Every novel should have as many as possible...which in many cases will be zero...BUT sometimes 2 or 3.

Other talking objects can be useful as well. As can people who don't say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.