Business Name Challenge

Yeshanu

In her faaaaabulous book, Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer, our own Jenna G. makes a case for registering your writing business and using an "official sounding" name like, oh, say... Absolute Write.

She tells us to avoid "cute," like "Writin Time!" and so on, and suggests that the name should be memorable, but not cloying. She says,

You might try a name that has some kind of personal meaning... It could be the name of the street you grew up on, your first word as a child (provided it's something more intriguing than "mama," or "dada," or "baba") , your pet's name, or the name of your personal flower.

So your challenge this week:

Come up with a business name that reflects you.

Using Jenna's suggestions, I came up with several. My favourite?

Pigeon Pot Pie Productions :grin

cluelessspicycinnamon

I like Hourglass just because I was doodling in English and my teacher happened to say that something or other had to be in hourglass form and I wrote it and it looked really cool.

When I design clothes, my line is called Caramel Designs, but I also like doing things with my nickname, Miss Thang.

YenadilPureheart

Let me take a whack at this. "Yen Productions", seems to fit me pretty well. :)

aka eraser

I confess to really liking the one that a friend came up with for my column: Baron It All. I like the play on words since I mostly write about small things in my life viewed from a skewed, fun-house mirror perspective.

Jyndral

I used to do brochures, flyers, logos, etc., under the name Creative Designs, but that seems rather unoriginal and I haven't done anything with that for about 2 or 3 years.

A couple others I've thought about using from time to time are In Pen & Ink and DreamWeaver Productions or Unlimited. But, with the DW software and a couple other places I've seen that name, that probably wouldn't be too great an idea.

~Jen

auntiebebo22

How about "A writ of Passage Inc."

or

"Written images"

or

"Marshall Thoughts Inc."

or maybe just

"Auntie B's"

hehe

tfdswift

I used to have a variety of things going -- comercial greenhouse, crafts, and livestock -- under one name... Hillbilly Heaven Enterprise.

When I did typing from home -- Tammy's Typing Service.

When I ran a variety shop and handyman service -- Swift Family Enterprise.

And we recently had -- Swift Family Kennels

Every year since I have lived in this house, I have given a name to my property for memorial weekend -- Tammyland

I announced (in a drunken stupor) that everything I paid mortgage, taxes, and insurance on was mine and I was annexed from the world and poof! Tammyland was born, of which I am the Queen. We have fun every year, I dress up with a banner and a crown and hang a sign at the end of the driveway. The entire community constantly asks what Tammyland is... Some have guessed a daycare, a craft store, and even a bed and breakfast (cause my house is huge). Then suddenly the sign is gone and people are left wondering -- because I never tell them exactly what Tammyland is. It's just all in fun, though.

My dream is to have a wilderness training school called -- Nature's Acres.

~~Tammy