PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Tap reunite to play Wembley for Live Earth

newmod
05-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted on the site in another forum.

Hereīs the link: http://www.liveearth.msn.com/spinaltap

Talk about mudflaps ...

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 12:13 AM
The Majesty of Rock lives!!!

Stew21
05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
I wonder if Derek Smalls will still have a cucumber wrapped in foil in his trousers.

Inkdaub
05-10-2007, 03:09 PM
This is Spinal Tap is probably my favorite comedy of all time. I wish they would stop with the reuniting, though.

III
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
This is Spinal Tap is probably my favorite comedy of all time. I wish they would stop with the reuniting, though.

I couldn't agree more.

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm kinda looking forward to it. The reuniting is part of the parody, imho.

For example, in 1992 Tap did a cross-country tour on Canada Day. They played in Newfoundland in the morning, then flew to Toronto and played in a town just north of there in the early afternoon, then finished up that night in Vancouver. Five time zones in one day. They were parodying Phil Collins playing in London and Philadelphia in the same day for Live Aid back in the 80s.

III
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm kinda looking forward to it. The reuniting is part of the parody, imho.

For example, in 1992 Tap did a cross-country tour on Canada Day. They played in Newfoundland in the morning, then flew to Toronto and played in a town just north of there in the early afternoon, then finished up that night in Vancouver. Five time zones in one day. They were parodying Phil Collins playing in London and Philadelphia in the same day for Live Aid back in the 80s.

I hope that somehow came out of the Canadian tax money.

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
LOL! I don't know how much of the bill the taxpayer footed for that. These were Canada Day concerts that ran all day at each location, with a slew of Canadian acts like The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, etc., so Tap was only one of over a dozen acts at each concert.

I just thought it was pretty funny that Tap did a "cross-country tour in one day" as they called it. Typical Tap mega-hype. :)

As for this latest, how many other acts who haven't been seen in years are going to come out of the woodwork for it? Tap is just having fun with that whole thing of middle aged rockers squeezing their expanding waistlines into the spandex one more time for a good cause.

III
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
LOL! I don't know how much of the bill the taxpayer footed for that. These were Canada Day concerts that ran all day at each location, with a slew of Canadian acts like The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, etc., so Tap was only one of over a dozen acts at each concert.

I just thought it was pretty funny that Tap did a "cross-country tour in one day" as they called it. Typical Tap mega-hype. :)

So did you like A Mighty Wind? Not that any of the other Christopher Guest crew movies can touch Spinal Tap, but I really liked Best In Show and kind of liked Wind but I haven't seen For Your Consideration yet. Anyone know if it's any good?

HEY! WHA HAPPUN'D??

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Parts of Best in Show had me howling, but I haven't seen A Mighty Wind or For Your Consideration. I've been meaning to check out Wind.

One of the funniest music 'mockumentaries' I ever saw was The Last Polka (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087596/). I rate it right up there with This is Spinal Tap on the funnybone meter.

Writer2011
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
"But it's eleven it's one more louder." Sorry I couldn't resist..

This is way cool...and they aren't a half-bad sounding band either :) Micheal Mackean is WAY funny as Derek Smalls :)

newmod
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Isnīt Derek Smalls played by Harry Shearer?

McKean is St. Hubbins.

ChunkyC
05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, Michael McKean played David St. Hubbins, the blonde lead singer. Derek Smalls (the bass player) was Harry Shearer. Lead guitarist Nigel Tufnel (but it goes to eleven) was Christopher Guest.

Favourite scene in the movie: Stonehenge. Either that or their manager trying to teach Nigel the difference between sexy and sexist. I've played in bands with guys just like Nigel.

III
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Parts of Best in Show had me howling, but I haven't seen A Mighty Wind or For Your Consideration. I've been meaning to check out Wind.

One of the funniest music 'mockumentaries' I ever saw was The Last Polka (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087596/). I rate it right up there with This is Spinal Tap on the funnybone meter.

Okay ChunkyC, here's a classic clip from A Mighty Wind. Fred Willard is awesome. I think you'll love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D421N6xlisg

HEY! WHA HAPPUN'D??

newmod
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Favourite scene in the movie: Stonehenge. Either that or their manager trying to teach Nigel the difference between sexy and sexist. I've played in bands with guys just like Nigel.

Hmm, one favourite scene is hard. A couple that stand out in my mind are:

In the recording studio (bad language included)

"You canīt concentrate because of your fucking wife!"
"Sheīs not my fucking wife."
"Well, whatever the fuck she is, you canīt fucking concentrate."

And backstage, Nigel and the sandwiches/olives.

Classic movie.

III
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Hmm, one favourite scene is hard.
Classic movie.

I might have to go with the green skeleton tee shirt. I've been in too many real-life stage disasters.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 12:27 AM
"Folk audiences hated that joke."

:roll:

Okay, turnabout is fair play. From the Last Polka (8 1/2 minutes):

The Plattsburg Disaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPF7iOyxu3c)

III
05-11-2007, 12:38 AM
"Folk audiences hated that joke."

:roll:

Okay, turnabout is fair play. From the Last Polka (8 1/2 minutes):

The Plattsburg Disaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPF7iOyxu3c)

That's classic. John Candy and Eugene Levy in MJ outfits. Man I miss the old SCTV days. I'd take the old SCTV guys over the old SNL guys pound-for-pound any day.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 01:45 AM
I've been in too many real-life stage disasters.
Oh, the memories that sentence conjured up....

...like the one of our drummer when we dressed up as an all girl band for Halloween and he didn't know you should wear something besides nylons under your skirt if you're going to be seated with your legs spread wide all night....

III
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh, the memories that sentence conjured up....

...like the one of our drummer when we dressed up as an all girl band for Halloween and he didn't know you should wear something besides nylons under your skirt if you're going to be seated with your legs spread wide all night....

Yeah but he's a drummer so you can't expect him to be too smart.

ChunkyC
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
:tongue

*waits patiently for Chester Thompson to show up*