Writing is like...

Sandellen

or "Writers blah, blah.....or "To write you have to...." or "To be a writer....."

Come up with an original insightful thought on this thing called writing.

Now, if you're like me, you might come up with something somebody famous already said, or a derivation, just cause that stuff tends to stick in one's brain. That's okay.

With that disclaimer, I'll start by saying this...

"Writing is a 24 hour a day/7 day a week job. No matter where you are, and what you think you're doing, the writing muse will beep in, and you best not ignore him."
--Sandra

Mukaden

I'll take an impromptu stab at it:

"The act of writing is a momentary salve for an urge that is, in the end, uncurable."

And my favorite quote by a famous guy (actually, I'm paraphrasing, but who's counting?):

"The best thing about being a writer is that you can edit yourself into brilliance."
- Kurt Vonnegut

YenadilPureheart

Writing is like a long term relationship with a selfish jerk.

reph

Writing is like talking into a telephone for hours after the other person has hung up.

aka eraser

Writing is like being a puppeteer. You make the marionettes dance and hope the strings are invisible.

Jyndral

To be a writer, you have to ignore the hacks, wannabes, and has-beens that say it can't be done.

~Jen

Sandellen

These are all really appropos. I like the one about editing, isn't that the truth? And puppets, yeah, if people only knew how hard it is to make it look so easy:)

Yeah, Jen, you have to ignore the naysayers, or if ignoring them doesn't work, one must find another way to rid ourselves of them....hmmm, but that might best be posted on another board!

Nice website, Jen. You seem to have "work-in-progress-itis" like me, ha!

Sandra

Jyndral

Thanks. :)

Work-in-progress-itis? Sorta. :lol

It hasn't been updated in a while. I have my own domain and I decided I didn't want to update it until I got everything moved over to the new one, which I keep putting off due to time.

~Jen

Chaoc Kazdul

"Writing is like slowly boring a hole through your own head, then allowing the refuse to drain into some medium. In the end, a portion of yourself has been displaced."

Kida Adelyn

Writing is like pulling your brain out your nose and presenting it as art.

(that's just how I feel anyway)

Dlouc

a dead end, which leaves you frustrated and takes more of your time than you expect.

dub

Writing and blood, two things common, both take heart, and one is shed for another.

peer54

Writing is like standing beside the ocean – you want to jump in but you're afraid of what you'll find beneath the surface.

triceretops

Opening your veins and letting it all spill out hoping that somebody needs a transfusion

Triceratops

Sandellen

Re: Did somebody say chocolate?

Finally!:) :) I was wondering when I was going to get some chocolate.

Dark chocolate kisses all around!!!!!!!!

Sandra

Nateskate

Re: Did somebody say chocolate?

Writing is not an expression, but the surest window to a locked room deep within my soul, where the most earnest of my thoughts seemed doomed to idle away the lonely hours in that dark place, expressionless, tormented, and waiting for discovery.

With the stroke of a keyboard, a ray of hope bends and bounces from wall to mirrored wall, working its way down to that room, and thrust it's light through the tiny keyhole of the door, and for a brief moment, illuminating that room with these words, "There is hope that you will be heard, and this door will be forever unlocked, and you will again be free."

Nate