Blog vs. Web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Lately I've been hearing a lot about how important it is for a writer to establish a presence on the web.

I created a blog at Blogger.com a few years ago and posted to it once and got no response and gave it up.

I have a web page designed by someone else for a book from five years ago that shows up well on Google searches but I have to consult my designer every time I want to update it.

I feel like starting fresh, with one or the other, or maybe both. What are the various pros and cons of each, and what's the easiest way to get myself up and running where someone else might read what I post.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got hopelessly bored with my own blog, but my web page is popular. I'd suggest having a web page you can edit yourself, and you can always slap a blog up there on it.

Then it's a matter of "networking" and listing services - word of mouth - adding the page title to your sig line in any and all online groups you post regularly, etc. Other people will have more suggestions shortly, I've no doubt.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are going to run a website I think it is a good idea to learn to make minor updates yourself. This isn't to hard as you would only change text, not code--so you just need to know how to put the new version online (I use my browser to do this). There is no need to learn html just to update an existing page.

A blog that actually attracts readers takes a fair amount of work. But if you really can't update the main website often you could do a big update now and then put a promonant link to your blog--hosted on your main domain (simple to do with free blogger) and post updates there which is much easier than updating raw html.

IMHO it is best to use both a blog and a website closely linked but if you don't enjoy making web-stuff a single update on the website that already googles well would be a sensible minimum?

If you don;t love blogging you could join a group blog with other writers in your genre.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
popmuze, you posted once to your blog and gave up? How on earth is an audience supposed to find you? When I started my blog it was just for fun and I addressed many of my posts to my "imaginary audience" since I knew no one except the occasional friend was reading it. Then I decided to update more frequently, and since I wanted traffic, visited other blogs, got to become a part of the community etc. I still am no Miss Snark when it comes to numbers, but now I have regular people who stop by and say hi and it is really nice.

Being a writer I think a blog is very conducive to our business. But you have to have something to say, and express it well, and update frequently. So I guess the pros are a way to get your voice out there and people to know who you are, but the cons are the maintenance.

As to a website, I tend to see these more as reference material. If someone wants information on you or your work they can go there. Often things that are updated on a website are tour dates etc, and a blog. Websites have a more professional air about them because they take time to create, a certain level of knowledge at any rate, and most often cost some money. So pro for website would be easy access for your "customers" to facts etc, as well as a professional appearance. Cons would be the time it takes to create the site, money, and again, updating it.

I say, why not do both!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff so far, people. It gives me a lot to think about.
I think I'm going to take a nap now.

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
As an author, I prefer a blog because it is more personal. I have direct contact with my readers.

I've had moderate success with my blog. You should have a point to your blog other than what you had for breakfast, or what your cat did yesterday.

There are a few things you need to do to be successful at blogging:

1. List your blog in the search engines

2. Come up with a theme. My theme is Novel Writing.

3. Find other blogs similar to your own and comment on them.

4. Respond to comments on your blog. Let the readers know that you are reading what they take the time to post!

5. Post often. I like to post at least 2-3 times a week.

6. Ping your blog every day! This will let blog sites know that you have a new article posted.

7. Join a blog surfing site such as Blogexplosion. This takes some work, but I always manage to pick up a few readers.

If you are looking for a blog service, I recommend Wordpress. Blogger is just plain buggy.

Hope this helps!

PS: Thanks...I'm going to expand on this post at my own blog, lol. As a blogger, you should always be on the lookout for content!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting and useful comments.

Maybe I could just use your blog as my blog and skip all the legwork.

Here's what I see as my real problem.

I've been getting published and paid for writing since 1972. On some level I guess blogging seems to me like writing for free, or for two readers. I feel like, if I come up with a great idea for an essay, I ought to be pitching it to some high paying magazine or some prestigious journal or saving it for a book of essays down the line. If I put it in a blog that seems to use it up. And then if no one reads it, that's just depressing.

Although, I will admit, when I wrote a column for my local newspaper for $50 a week I got more comments than when I got an article published in Playboy or USA Today.

Maybe blogging is like building up a syndicated column, like from say two papers to 2,000 over the course of years. But that's a real trek.

Maybe it should be called slogging.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wouldn't put an essay-worthy topic on a blog all that often. If the goal is to promote other writing not the blog per. se--then smaller musings with connections to your work, excerpts, trivia, gossip etc. Nothing that would take more than a few minutes. Promo shouldn't be too overt because that is dull, but it still should be promo if you are blogging to sell books rather than blogging to blog...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You might want to blog on the nature of writing articles or all the experiences you have had for your pretty long career. The blog isn't where you put up your work, it's where you can network and share information to people who have found you because either they already like your work, or found you through a site and then will want to read your work once they read your blog.

And don't keep going on about the only 2 visitors you'll get. The good blogs get thousands of hits a day. Some of them have a lot of power and sway. Try to view the blogging thing as a chance to reach a lot of people, as opposed to starting out with the negative outlook (I'm no fan of The Secret, but why not think a little more positively about things?)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I agree with FredCharles (except for Blogger/Wordpress). My blog gets just over a hundred hits a day, and I have lots of repeat readers and commenters from that. My website does about half that.
I tried to blog on Wordpress and my posts wouldn't even publish, no matter what I did. I gave up after three separate days and five tries.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
(I'm no fan of The Secret, but why not think a little more positively about things?)

This is what my wife tells me all the time.
Wait a minute, are you my wife? She uses toothpaste!

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
So how do you get onto google. I googled luna chyck (my blog) and a post from here was the first one listed, but not my specific blog.

I have the same trouble popmuze, I have to do the changes at my website and because I did it a$$ backwards my hosting guy has to make the changes show up. I should have gotten the domain name first and then the host. Who knew?

I feel like a pain every time I want to make changes and now I want to change the whole thing!!!

My goal for today was to visit some blogs and 'be seen'. So far I updated my blog, vacuumed, did laundry, and marinated a steak for dinner. Hmmmm...
I write paranormal fiction, anyone want to join forces?:Hug2:

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
So how do you get onto google. I googled luna chyck (my blog) and a post from here was the first one listed, but not my specific blog.

I have the same trouble popmuze, I have to do the changes at my website and because I did it a$$ backwards my hosting guy has to make the changes show up. I should have gotten the domain name first and then the host. Who knew?

I feel like a pain every time I want to make changes and now I want to change the whole thing!!!

My goal for today was to visit some blogs and 'be seen'. So far I updated my blog, vacuumed, did laundry, and marinated a steak for dinner. Hmmmm...
I write paranormal fiction, anyone want to join forces?:Hug2:

Try this link: Submit Express

This site has free submission to Google and a lot of other search engines.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I, personally, don't bother submitting blogs because they turn up with a few days. I would suggest adding the blog to BlogHer (if you a female) and Technorati.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I have a blog where I usually just rattled on about whatever struck me. Then, it struck me(!) that I should try to be thematic in some way. I started interviews of people in some unusual or interesting part of the publishing world. They blog traffic has definitely picked up now that I'm providing something in useful content. I've invited people to work with me on an interview or review and some have asked me. It's working out reasonably well. I've only been doing this more directed form in the last couple of months.

Now, my website is strictly for my own writing: what I'm working on, what's been published, etc. So, I'm not crudding it up with any rants of the day. I hope it's professional looking.

On a third venue, I'm on MySpace to schmooze with fellow writers and publishers--networking.

On both my website and in MySpace I've got a nice RSS visual feed of my blog content, so it does double (or triple) the work.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
On both my website and in MySpace I've got a nice RSS visual feed of my blog content, so it does double (or triple) the work.

And here I thought I was done once I mastered the VCR (not that I've mastered the VCR).

Status
Not open for further replies.