PDA

View Full Version : A Three-fer in the Kennesaw Review

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Just got word that the Kennesaw Review will be publishing three of my haibun poems in their fall issue.:snoopy:

I'm not going to kid anyone here, for the past ten months all the ups and downs of submitting queries, and partials and a couple of fulls for my first novel and my subsequent revision work and second wave of submitting queries is beginning to wear me down.

But, I never let it wear me down to the point where I had stopped submitting my other work. Not going to say it was easy to send my poems and short stories out on those days that I had received multiple rejections of either my query letter or partials, it wasn't. I had to ignore that self-defeating little twit of a voice in my head that kept whining, "Why bother submitting anything, you're just setting yourself up for more rejections."

So take that you little twit! I wouldn't be dancing the snoopy dance today if I would have listened to you :D

Susan Breen
05-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Congratulations! Good for you for not giving up. That takes such character. I'm very happy for you!

Calla Lily
05-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Congratulations!

And we all need to kick that little twit into next week every now and then. ;)

Saundra Julian
05-09-2007, 03:17 AM
:snoopy: Congratulations!

oarsman
05-09-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gifhttp://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gifhttp://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gif
Three flowers for three published poems, because I know you have a reputation for writing pretty. ;) Congratulations!!!!

Susie
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Many, many, many congrats, Janet. You deserve it and hope you get lots more acceptances!

Claudia Gray
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Awesome news -- way to go!

Shwebb
05-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Not just at the acceptances, but in the not giving up.

Hooray for you! Way to get 'em!

P.H.Delarran
05-09-2007, 09:26 AM
This is good news! Glad your perserverence paid off, keep at it, there's more to come I bet.

Kudra
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Have to admire your persistence! Way to go, you!

CaroGirl
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Good for you! Stay stubborn; it pays off. Congrats!

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gifhttp://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gifhttp://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Flowers/whiteaari.gif
Three flowers for three published poems, because I know you have a reputation for writing pretty. ;) Congratulations!!!!

Luckily, I'm capable of weaving some grit, sarcasm and raw emotions into my writing too, because 'pretty' does not equal getting published in the literary markets where I pitch my poetry.

One of the three poems accepted is written from the point of view of a young Gulf War veteran who lost his leg--and that ain't pretty.

Actually, I first wrote that poem as a flash fiction piece, and submitted it in the infamous Absolute Write Idol contest a couple of years back, didn't win anything, but went on to submit it to a National League of Pen Women contest and placed. Then, I went on to submit that story to over a dozen flash fiction contests and ezines and nothing! Decided to change the piece from flash fiction to a haibun poem and BINGO, it was snatched up by Kennesaw Review along with two other haibun poems I had written.

Just goes to show why it's important not to give up. Revise, yes, but not surrender :D

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks all for the congrats and flowers and always appreciated pats on the back.

But, I would like to address the references to my persistence, perseverance and stubborness. What can I say . . . just one of the many perks of ebbing hormones :ROFL:

maestrowork
05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Congrats, JAlpha. That's so cool.

dub
05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Congrats...I drive by Kennesaw State everytime we visit our son in Kennesaw. I assume you are talking about Georgia. I will stop by and pick up a copy of the review when I am in town next week (tentative) - we should look for the fall issue after September?

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Congrats...I drive by Kennesaw State every time we visit our son in Kennesaw. I assume you are talking about Georgia. I will stop by and pick up a copy of the review when I am in town next week (tentative) - we should look for the fall issue after September?

Yes, Dub. The Kennesaw Review is the literary magazine sponsored by Kennesaw State College in Georgia.

However, like many of the other college based lit journals, they are switching to an on-line format, in the fall, which for me is great, because I don't think I can fit another printed lit mag in my house.

The Internet is bursting at the seams with fabulous contemporary literature that isn't nearly as inaccessible to readers (literally and figuratively) as it used to be.

oarsman
05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Luckily, I'm capable of weaving some grit, sarcasm and raw emotions into my writing too, because 'pretty' does not equal getting published in the literary markets where I pitch my poetry.

One of the three poems accepted is written from the point of view of a young Gulf War veteran who lost his leg--and that ain't pretty.

Actually, I first wrote that poem as a flash fiction piece, and submitted it in the infamous Absolute Write Idol contest a couple of years back, didn't win anything, but went on to submit it to a National League of Pen Women contest and placed. Then, I went on to submit that story to over a dozen flash fiction contests and ezines and nothing! Decided to change the piece from flash fiction to a haibun poem and BINGO, it was snatched up by Kennesaw Review along with two other haibun poems I had written.

Just goes to show why it's important not to give up. Revise, yes, but not surrender :D

I like your never surrender attitude! I submitted some poetry earlier this year and it was rejected. It's gathering dust now--I confess I gave up on it too easily. I need to dust it off again.

By the way, you and your writing can both be pretty gritty. :D

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
By the way, you and your writing can both be pretty gritty. :D

Awe shucks, that's one of the nicest things anyone has said about me in a long time.

And definitely dust that poetry off and get it out there, or post it for some feedback in the poetry forum. I know you have some great and memorable work posted in the haiku threads, ever try the haibun form?

oarsman
05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Awe shucks, that's one of the nicest things anyone has said about me in a long time.

And definitely dust that poetry off and get it out there, or post it for some feedback in the poetry forum. I know you have some great and memorable work posted in the haiku threads, ever try the haibun form?

Thanks. I haven't tried to write haibun. The form definitely appeals to me. I should give it try.

AmyDoodle
05-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Congratulations! Please don't get discouraged. You posted some wonderful words about contests a while back that got me going again. I have some credits I never would have got if I hadn't read your post way back then.

JAlpha
05-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Congratulations! Please don't get discouraged. You posted some wonderful words about contests a while back that got me going again. I have some credits I never would have got if I hadn't read your post way back then.

That's great to hear Amy! :Clap:

I like to encourage people to submit their work--not to surrender--because, when I can't get into the winners circle, or I'm stuck in a rejection mode rut, I like to know that at least I've inspired other writers to fill the void while I'm benched on the sidelines.

Call it altruistic--behaviour by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species--but, when it comes to writing, the only thing that makes me happier than adding another publishing credit to my resume is when I've heard I've had a hand in helping someone else gather recognition for their work.

Pat~
05-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Just got word that the Kennesaw Review will be publishing three of my haibun poems in their fall issue.:snoopy:

Congratulations, Janet!! I admire your persistence. You're my hero. :D

RumpleTumbler
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Congratulations. Kennesaw is just up the road from me I'm in Woodstock.

AmyDoodle
05-10-2007, 04:47 AM
I like to encourage people to submit their work--not to surrender. . .

These days I try not to let a week go by without encouraging someone else. Sorta passing the inheritance along. :)