PDA

View Full Version : Men: What kind of smell do you like women to wear?

SpiderGal
05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
A recent research by Mark Kristal, University of Buffalo's psychologist, showed that smell is one of the most important external stimuli (not to mention the internal ones) that lead one to fancy another. I am also sort of researching this, and as part of my project, I would like to know what kind of smell really appeals to men? Roses? Sharp smells? If you invited a woman over, what smell would you like her to wear?

I know men's choices vary greatly, but I am just trying to figure out a "general" favorite.

Thanks!

Source: http://www.physorg.com/news90509995.html

Willowmound
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I would like to smell the woman, not the perfume. So it should be subtle and accentuate her own smell. Which means there's no one answer. It depends on the girl.

Huwman
05-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I tend to find that the thing that makes me swoon it the smell of a woman's hair. When it smells right it makes you melt and want to hug her more.

Really sweet or fruity smells are a no-no as they prematurely age a woman and who want's to be reminded of their Nan in those moments? Nothing too strong either. Just a subtle fragrance and nice natural smell.

Also try not to smell like a coconut.

Huw

Gary
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
A favorite topic! It's not so much what I like, but what I don't like. I hate the new fragrances that I like to call "high-tech". They don't just smell, they race across the room, rocket up your nose and burrow into your brain. They make a woman smell like a chemical factory. I'm more attracted to the smell of burning jet fuel than most modern perfumes.

I'm really turned on by natural, floral fragrances, but done lightly. If I detect a light smell of lilac, I'll search the room for the source. The woman wearing it has my undivided attention.

There is only one modern fragrance I like, and that is Eternity...applied lightly.

SpiderGal
05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Good replies. "Natural" seems to be in. Hmm..Take note, women.:)

Willowmound
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Take note, women.:)

Yeah, do. ;)

Haggis
05-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Men: What kind of smell do you like women to wear?

Woman smell. :)

newmod
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Iīd go for natural, and just out of the shower is good. I canīt stand the perfume/cigarettes combination, terrible.

Also, as I have a good sense of smell so most perfumes literally get up my nose.

Parkinsonsd
05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
The perfume smell gets obnoxious.

The way she smelled when she just woke up. Her hair was toussled, her eyes a little puffy, but she woke with a smile and her body smelled feminine.

Yeah, I wish she would have brushed her teeth though. Her breath was rank.

The Grift
05-09-2007, 12:10 AM
a) It can't be overpowering...meaning whatever it is, don't bathe in it.

b) Honestly, as long as its not pungent, whatever makes HER feel attractive. A woman who FEELS sexy will project that...and that...well, that's just super.

newmod
05-09-2007, 12:16 AM
In a bar, desperation is a good smell ;)

brokenfingers
05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I think this is one of those unanswerable questions. Scent is such an individualized thing.

Good perfumes and colognes have phases they go through. The initial one is the strong scent that many complain about but the thing is that the chemicals then combine with a person's own body chemicals to produce a personal unique scent.

I have no idea what type of smell or perfume I like. All I know is if it works or not.

Honestly, as long as its not pungent, whatever makes HER feel attractive. A woman who FEELS sexy will project that...and that...well, that's just super.I think that's a large part of the answer to what types of perfumes/smells men like.

The body gives off pheromones and perfumes enhance that process. I think that the pheromones produced can be greatly affected by factors such as emotion, stress and even diet, among other things.

So a large part of what attracts a man will naturally have to do with how the woman feels about herself (I believe this goes both ways too - as in men and cologne and woman being attracted.)

It's no lie that confidence is one of the greatest aphrodisiacs...

Silver King
05-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Fishy scents are nice; the freshly caught variety, not the week old kind.

DeborahM
05-09-2007, 01:30 AM
:popcorn: Hmm...

Soccer Mom
05-09-2007, 02:04 AM

:rubs fresh herring behind her ears:

pconsidine
05-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I don't generally like a smell until someone I like smells like it. It's all about association.

Speaking of which, funny story -

My first girlfriend had a perfume she used to wear all the time (Shalimar, I think it was). After we broke up, I didn't smell it again and pretty much forgot all about it. Two years later, I was on a bus on Boston on my way to work when I caught a whiff of that scent. Naturally, I had only ever smelled it on one person before, so my initial thought was "what the hell is Heather doing in Boston?" I looked around and tried, as subtly as possible, to figure out where she was.

It turned out that it was a 350 pound black woman sitting behind me.

(For the record, Heather was a little 90 pound Italian girl.)

Willowmound
05-09-2007, 01:52 PM
In a bar, desperation is a good smell ;)

Only for attracting dogs.

alleycat
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Something light, fresh. Just a little goes a long way.

The only one I remember specifically is Cinnabar (sp?) that a girlfriend used to wear. I liked that.

popmuze
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Nothing gets to me like the smell of a lit cigar, circa Madison Square Garden, 1957.

Jamesaritchie
05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I find cheap perfume stinks, but most of the really expensive perfumes are wonderful, if not used to excess.

PattiTheWicked
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I asked my husband what his favorite smell on me was, and he thought about it for a minute. Finally, he said that when I've been outside planting or digging in the garden or doing yardwork, he likes the way I smell then.

I don't know if he means it sincerely, or if he just wants me to go cut the grass.

pconsidine
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh! I just remembered the smell I love the most -

Warm hair smell. Like, the top of a woman's head when she's been out in the sun.

Mmmm...:)

Steve W
05-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I'm not a big perfume fan. And I loathe anything overpowering, whether scent, candles, health food stores... can't stand it. So, my choice would be either no scent at all or something extremely subtle. As for the actual smell -- hey, I'm a guy, you think I'm going to take so much notice that I remember what I like?!

Cheers,
Steve

Julie Worth
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I asked my husband what his favorite smell on me was, and he thought about it for a minute. Finally, he said that when I've been outside planting or digging in the garden or doing yardwork, he likes the way I smell then.

Interesting. A combination of dirt and sweat. You could call it Mud Wrassler.

Elodie-Caroline
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
It would be very nice for you if you were a midget :D

When I was in a restaurant with my husband a few years ago, I was wearing a cheap Avon perfume. The man who owned the restaurant told me that I smelled like Heaven :)

scarletpeaches
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
If Heaven was populated by fish! :D

Parkinsonsd
05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
There seems to be a pretty consistent theme here.

Except for the fish thing.

Elodie-Caroline
05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Hahaha But only for Silverking... I can honestly say that my perfume didn't smell fishy :D :tongue

If Heaven was populated by fish! :D

Dario D.
05-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I canīt stand the perfume/cigarettes combination, terrible.
Ugh, yes, I second that one. For me, cigarette smell is just an instant 100% never-look-back turn-off... especially the "cigarette lung" flavor, which most smokers don't even realize they have. When smokers come over, just them breathing usually stenches up half our house, and we have to open up the windows when they leave.

As for what I like, something light an natural... Nothing that's "in-your-face". In light of that, I really don't like perfumes/colognes, but appreciate whatever light compliments a shampoo will come with.

A light perfume wearer is usually a welcome scent, but 90% of my run-ins with perfume usually involve getting a sudden gust, and not being able to breathe/talk for second.

On the other hand, my experiences with natural/light shampoo are generally very positive. I usually subconsciously associate the smell of shampoo with the actual person, thinking, "That person smells good," whereas I often associate the smell of perfume with the product, thinking, "That perfume smells good," or, "I wonder how much that costed."

I get a better impression when I just get a light smell that seems to be unintended, such as shampoo. It makes me smile on their hygiene, and think good things about the way they take care of themselves. That said, to me, a smell is just a smell, and never changes the way I see a person in a way that actually matters. In fact, scents have only made me think down on people, when I get the impression they're drowning themselves in perfume to try to seem like better people. It also annoys me when my brothers fog up the house with cologne, because aside from smelling like they're wearing a product (as opposed to something natural), it's just too darn strong to have a good effect.

Oh well. That's just me. ;)

- Dario, the good-smelling girl's shampoo-wearer. :)

scarletpeaches
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I never wear perfume or deodorant...I'm scared it'll cause a reaction with my skin. If I need to get changed or freshen up, I jump in the shower or bath again, get clean then put on fresh clothes. It only takes 10 minutes and I much prefer smelling of soap than perfume anyway. I get changed a couple of times a day.

Vanatru
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I never wear perfume or deodorant...I'm scared it'll cause a reaction with my skin. If I need to get changed or freshen up, I jump in the shower or bath again, get clean then put on fresh clothes. It only takes 10 minutes and I much prefer smelling of soap than perfume anyway. I get changed a couple of times a day.

That explains why your so squeaky...............clean. :)

scarletpeaches
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I just like gettin' nekkit. :e2brows:

Soccer Mom
05-15-2007, 07:06 PM
I just like gettin' nekkit. :e2brows:

How did I know that was the answer :ROFL:

Monkey
05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
My ex actually had a sneezing reaction when faced with the pungent alcohol base used for most perfumes (especially cheaper ones). My husband holds his breath for as long as possible when dealing with a woman who bathed in perfume. Personally, I love essential oils - just a touch at the nape of the neck and the wrists, and this didn't/doesn't offend either of them.

For years I used vanilla (it's hard to find just the right scent - there's like 1,000 different vanillas), and my husband always smiles when he smells that. Now, I'm into an organic shampoo that smells of honeysuckle and rose. It's fabulous.

I remember seeing an old plaque that said, "There is no greater perfume than the scent of lavender soap". I took it to heart. Silly, maybe, but the responses in this thread seem to bear it out.