Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
I’m outlining a script and I feel the need to put woman who is in her last month of pregnancy in a small airplane or helicopter just so that I can crash it. I’m having a mental block trying to think why a woman in her last month of pregnancy would get into the air. She’d need to fly from any location in Southern California to Salt Lake City for whatever reason.

When my wife was pregnant there was nothing in the world that would have gotten her on a plane. I hate asking for creative help, but this time I’m just blocked.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I’m outlining a script and I feel the need to put woman who is in her last month of pregnancy in a small airplane or helicopter just so that I can crash it. I’m having a mental block trying to think why a woman in her last month of pregnancy would get into the air. She’d need to fly from any location in Southern California to Salt Lake City for whatever reason.

When my wife was pregnant there was nothing in the world that would have gotten her on a plane. I hate asking for creative help, but this time I’m just blocked.

Yeah, it would probably need to be a low flying aircraft, as late term pregnant women are strongly discouraged from flying at passenger jet altitude, because of the air pressure issues. Also, being belted into a seat for a long time would not be a great idea, because of the risk of blood clots.

If she stays in a helicopter or low-flying prop plane (with a bathroom - lol) any old super compelling reason should do.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Does she have any other kids or parents that are possibly sick? Or maybe her husband was in a car accident and she needed to get to him quickly.
Just a thought.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I've had patients with need to travel at 36+ weeks gestation.

Some airlines will restrict allowing women due to the possiblity of emergency landings and $$$$$. However, most will allow it past 36 weeks with a provider note.

As long as the woman is well hydrated and stretches her legs every couple of hours, it is ok. She should also have no medical problems (preeclampsia or such....but she could if you needed her to!)

The most common reason for a flight is a death in the family. Father or mother funerals, grandmas...I had a patient whose sister had a stroke and she had to travel to bring her home with her for care.

I would sign off on a flight from Southern CA to SLC for a death in the family...

Do you need her to survive the crash? I can give you info on obstetric disasters that might occur in such a situation. If someone else survives but she doesn't they might to a perimortem c-section. Lemme know! I can cook up all sorts of realistic problems for you....

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
I've had patients with need to travel at 36+ weeks gestation.

Some airlines will restrict allowing women due to the possiblity of emergency landings and $$$$$. However, most will allow it past 36 weeks with a provider note.

As long as the woman is well hydrated and stretches her legs every couple of hours, it is ok. She should also have no medical problems (preeclampsia or such....but she could if you needed her to!)

The most common reason for a flight is a death in the family. Father or mother funerals, grandmas...I had a patient whose sister had a stroke and she had to travel to bring her home with her for care.

I would sign off on a flight from Southern CA to SLC for a death in the family...

Do you need her to survive the crash? I can give you info on obstetric disasters that might occur in such a situation. If someone else survives but she doesn't they might to a perimortem c-section. Lemme know! I can cook up all sorts of realistic problems for you....

At this point I'm going to have four people in the aircraft (including her) they crash in the Bonneville Salt Flats, but all survive. This is the openning of the script, first 10 pages so there will be lots more action to follow. She will eventually give birth before they return to civilization.

It'll be a smaller aircraft not an airline, so that they are not so readily missed, or found.

I'm really appreciating all the help from everyone-

Thanks
Rainy

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
She wouldn't need to have an emergency. The flexibility of having your own aircraft or at your disposal means you can be on the ground almost anywhere within 10 minutes.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
When I was in the military, we had a soldier who was nine months pregnant who flew from Germany to Washington State. Her unit was being phased out, and the military pretty much said she had to go. She had to certifications from a doctor that it was safe to travel, and she flew. Three weeks later she had the baby.

Melanie Lane

Registered
Reaction score
At this point I'm going to have four people in the aircraft (including her) they crash in the Bonneville Salt Flats, but all survive.

Four passengers or four people? If its four passengers, they could easily be in a Cessna 172 or something along those lines - and they don't have to file a flight plan...dun dun dun...

Yeah, I'm with everyone else. Family death sounds like the most plausible cause.

Babz

Flying preggers

I flew to Cuba at 7+ months. Ironically, the most comfortable place to sit was right next to the exit-the one you are directed to in case of an emergency landing where the big inflatable slide happens. Well-I was able to stretch my legs-very necessary and actually dared to believe I'd have as comfortable a flight as a 160 pound 5'10" pregger could have. Just as I settled in, I was asked to move by a flight attendant because God forbid something could happen I would jeopardize the other passangers escape with my girth. As if I wouldn't escape for two! Babz

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
I was a flight attendant for two years and we did have very pregnant women fly. But if it's a private plane this wouldn't matter at all since she wouldn't have to "check in" or anything like that. FYI they could fly VERY close to the due date as long as they had a doctors note. If the seatbelt doesn't fit they make extensions...thought maybe that was something you hadn't considered. Normally they just belt in under their belly and they don't need one :) Hope it helps!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
My aunt flew Chicago-Boston-Chicago recently, in her last month of pregnancy and with two three year olds and an eight year old in tow. No death, she was very stressed out and needed to come home.

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
The reason the character flies kinda depends on who she is.

Some characters would only fly in the last month to get to their father's death bed.

Some would fly to see a house she's thinking of buying

or to speak at a conference on grasshopper migration

or because she's planning to deliver at a water-birthing clinic in Montreal and she waited till the last minute to head there because there was just sooo much to do at home

or she flies back and forth every week because her job requires this and she's going to keep working till the end because she needs/loves her job

There are lots of 'reasons' to do something that might be dangerous to mother and child.
What she'd consider sufficient and reasonable depends on who your character is.
The details fill out what you're saying about her lifestyle.

Last edited:

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I flew late-term in my pregnancy to attend my grandfather's funeral. However, if I had lived on the mainland I probably would have driven to avoid the potential risks of flying. You'd have to invent a reason why she didn't choose to drive to SLC from SoCal. Sure, it's a long trip, but even for a funeral I would have done that instead of flying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.