Hot Fuzz

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you really want to have a jolly good time at the theater, instead of flocking to see Spider-Man, go see Hot Fuzz, brought to you by the same people who did Shaun of the Dead. Hilariously silly movie. It started with one expectation and ended up something else. Thumbs up! (the movie is rated R for comic violence and gore, and language)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been hearing good things about this one. Hope to heck they bring it to the local screen this week instead of Delta Farce. :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Shaun of the Dead was a scream and I loved the characters. I wanted to see Hot Fuzz from the first trailer of it I saw.
I'm definitely there;)

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Hubby and I both grew up in towns a lot like the one in Hot Fuzz. (He has the accent too! Sometimes)

I was doubled over and weeping with laughter more than once during the film -- I loved it!

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this two weeks ago. What a great time -

"I'm a slasher! Of prices!"

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Agreed. It's a great film. And Dalton was superb. I expected him to give an evil genius sort of laugh every time he was on screen.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
It's on my to see list. The only thing on that list, actually! Now all I need is a few hours...

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I just thought I'd let y'all know something interesting that I heard on the radio today.

As you may know the Cannes film festival is going on. So the radio's "Entertainment" reporters are drifting about over there interviewing anyone they recognise.

They cornered Quentin Tarantino and asked him about his favourite films of the year so far.
Guess what one of them was?
Well, since this is the Hot Fuzz thread you can probably guess.
Yup, he said Apocalypto was a masterpiece and that this was the most enjoyable film to watch.
Just in case anyone's interested.

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
Hot Fuzz definitely has some funny moments but overall I wouldn't call it a fantastic movie. I found parts of it to be a bit slow moving to tell the truth.

Still much better than Spiderman 3 though ;)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Hot Fuzz definitely has some funny moments but overall I wouldn't call it a fantastic movie. I found parts of it to be a bit slow moving to tell the truth.

Still much better than Spiderman 3 though ;)
Well, It's not wuite as good as Shaun of the Dead. But it is still the mutts nuts.

Besides, what else have I got to look forward to?

(4 days to go)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The DVD arrived yesterday and we watched it last night. I thought it had an excellent script, with all the little character nuances and little throwaway mentions of people and things tying up brilliantly by the end. The DVD has a lot of good extra features, including a subtitle track that explains the research that led to particular lines of dialogue, which was really interesting from a writer's perspective. We're fans of Simon Pegg anyway and love Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, etc. but even with high expectations Hot Fuzz didn't disappoint. Really great stuff.

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
Picked Hot Fuzz up a few weeks ago when it hit DVD. I wanted to see Hot Fuzz at the theatre but it never came to town which was very disappointing. Like most of us I loved Shaun of the Dead so was very excited about their followup Hot Fuzz.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were once again very enjoyable. I had pretty high expectations for Fuzz after seeing Dead though and it didn't quite live up to them.

I think there was room for improvement but overall it's a good flick and will quickly join the cult classic status. Definitely worth the rental and you will certainly have to watch more than once just to catch everything and all the dialogue.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
We watched it last night and loved it! Very funny movie, and it was thought out much more than traditional American action comedies. Haven't ever seen Shaun of the Dead, because I don't do zombie movies. Even if they're funny. But in Hot Fuzz, I loved seeing so many British character actors that I've come to know over the years.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think it's the funniest movie this year, better than all those American comedies combined.
No fair commenting again in your own critique thread, Ray.

I saw it last week, and personally? I think it's the funniest movie this year, better than all those American comedies combined.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Wonderful, hilarious movie.

I don't think the plot stands up quite as thoroughly as Shaun of the Dead.

The Catsup thing in the eye, and then again later is a little fuzzy. Why did he walk around with catsup waiting just for this opportunity? Huh? That wasn't made adequately clear. Also, the disbelief by one particular character in between the catsup salvation and the total, full-on shoot-'em-up awesomeness was not quite pulled off.

However, even with one minor plot quibble from a veteran quibbler, I have to say this movie is absolutely fan-damn-tastic and hands down the best action movie, comedy, and horror flick I've seen all year, all rolled into one.

At this point, if this production/writing/acting team decided to do a re-make of Godfather III, I'd be the first one in line waiting for my ticket, reviews-be-darned!