Worker's Compensation

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if it would go on this thread or not but if that's the case I guess it would be moved to the correct place.

With that in mind--as most of you know, in January I injured my back on the job lifting a box.

That same day I went to the urgent care (for those unfamiliar it's like a health clinic where you can be seen if you don't have health insurance or are in a pinch) --said it was a back strain--take a few days off. Well the pain continued and went back to the Urgent Care and the regular doctor said it was something more. So she scheduled for me to have physical therapy..go back to work on a restricted basis.

Well I went back to work and was on "light" duty--I was forced into lifting heavy boxes, ect..which was making it worse..so on February 16th, I went BACK to the Urgent care--was referred to an Orthopedic doctor..

The orthopedic doctor spent a grand total of two minutes with me--said we'd do an MRI.. so at the end of March I had the MRI--went back to the Ortho doctor three weeks after--he said i've got spinal stenosis and maybe a herniated disk... When I went to see him, I waited forty-five minutes in the exam room--he talked to me for maybe three minutes and seemed to be in a hurry.

See the pain radiates from my lower back all the way down my left leg; it goes numb quite often and feels like pins and needles...

Well the Ortho doctor scheduled for me to have these steroid injections, which he NEVER discussed possible risks, the actual prodecdure or long-term benefits...All he wants is to push me off onto someone else and be done. At least that's how I feel.

With this whole worker's compensation deal I feel like i'm being forced into something I don't want to do--which in this case I don't want these injections b/c there is no long-term proof (I've spoken with various people who've had them and ended up having surgery)... I'm just afraid they're going for a "quick fix" so I can go back to my old job and get injured again.

Sorry for the "rant" but I wanted to see what your personal feelings are about W/C?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
if you are against western medicine or feel slighted, something you "don't want to do", then don't do it. Either you will get better on your own, or you'll get worse. Everything has side effects. I nearly died from taking a single antibiotic. People can drop dead from weird things. Only you can decide if you are willing to risk what could happen with the chance of improvement.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have to do what worker's compensation says because i'm getting paid for being out and if I do on my own then i'll be responsible for it all... But if I go back to my old job and get re-injured I could be fired...so i'm in a sticky situation :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
true, but... if you feel strongly about not doing whatever treatment they are offering, then you can always look elsewhere for employment. I'd never be forced to do something I didn't want to do, although I have forced myself to do treatments I highly didn't want to do simply because I knew it was in my best interest later on.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
that may work in your best interest. Keep me informed if'n you want. I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out for you.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most lawyers will do the initial consultation for free. It could well be worth your time to speak with one.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Not sure if it would go on this thread or not but if that's the case I guess it would be moved to the correct place.

With that in mind--as most of you know, in January I injured my back on the job lifting a box.

That same day I went to the urgent care (for those unfamiliar it's like a health clinic where you can be seen if you don't have health insurance or are in a pinch) --said it was a back strain--take a few days off. Well the pain continued and went back to the Urgent Care and the regular doctor said it was something more. So she scheduled for me to have physical therapy..go back to work on a restricted basis.

Well I went back to work and was on "light" duty--I was forced into lifting heavy boxes, ect..which was making it worse..so on February 16th, I went BACK to the Urgent care--was referred to an Orthopedic doctor..

The orthopedic doctor spent a grand total of two minutes with me--said we'd do an MRI.. so at the end of March I had the MRI--went back to the Ortho doctor three weeks after--he said i've got spinal stenosis and maybe a herniated disk... When I went to see him, I waited forty-five minutes in the exam room--he talked to me for maybe three minutes and seemed to be in a hurry.

See the pain radiates from my lower back all the way down my left leg; it goes numb quite often and feels like pins and needles...

Well the Ortho doctor scheduled for me to have these steroid injections, which he NEVER discussed possible risks, the actual prodecdure or long-term benefits...All he wants is to push me off onto someone else and be done. At least that's how I feel.

With this whole worker's compensation deal I feel like i'm being forced into something I don't want to do--which in this case I don't want these injections b/c there is no long-term proof (I've spoken with various people who've had them and ended up having surgery)... I'm just afraid they're going for a "quick fix" so I can go back to my old job and get injured again.

Sorry for the "rant" but I wanted to see what your personal feelings are about W/C?
Sounds like you have some crappy doctors. As I am going through nearly the same thing right now let me tell you what my doctor told me before i received the Spinal Nerve Root Block injection. It is mainly used as a diagnostic tool to tell the doctor if their diagnosis of where the herniated disk is is correct. It should provide SHORT TERM relief only. When I had mine, it provided nearly no relief for my symptoms, but the little relief it did provide confirmed that I did indeed have a herniated disk. At the same time the disk ruptured on the other side and now i have pain on both sides of my neck and both arms are now affected. Initially, my diagnosis was Osteo arthritis, foraminal stenosis and degenerative disk disease. Since the MRI and the aforementioned injection, the diagnosis is now degenerative disk disease, C5-6 herniated disk and C6-7 disk on the verge of being herniated. I would suggest that you change to a different doctor. It just so happens that my symptoms flaired up on Feb 16 (my birthday) same as you. I am scheduled for surgery on June 13. This is not going to get better all by itself. I dont see if you have health insurance or not. If you do, you have the right to go to another doctor not just the one you are 'sent' to. Workmans comp claim or not. I have health insurance but my claim is not a workmans comp claim because I cant prove the injury is work related even though I was physically moving from 6,000 to 12,000 lbs of plastic sheets on a daily basis. Originally I was told that if I could not return to work at 100% I would not be allowed to return to work. The americans with disabilities act makes that illegal and now i have a meeting with my branch manager and the company HR manager who is flying up to oregon from california to discuss what i will and will not be able to do once i have my surgery. I have not taken a passive role in this because that serves no good purpose. As a patient, I would think that YOU should be asking questions if the doctor is not telling you what you want to hear. Having this surgery is scaring the crap out of me, but if it makes the constant pain go away they can cut my neck off and throw it away for all I care. I would suggest you make a list of all the questions you have and go back to the doctor and get some answers. If the doctor isnt forthcoming with information, find another doctor. Please pm me if you want to discuss this further. You are not alone my friend.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers...

Oh man I how can I think you for writing this..:) I do have health insurance and can go to a different position within the county but if I start hurting again in say two or three months, they won't pay for it..so basically i'm screwed unless I get an attorney.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
You might also speak to the administrator for Worker's Comp in your company to see if you have any options there. Just explain how you do not feel you are receiving adequate care through the current doctor, and how nothing is being explained to you so you feel confused and unsure. There might be some recourse in this road as well.

ETA: And if you were forced into to doing heavy lifting while on light duty, that's a big ding against them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I don't know what state you're in, but in OK, if you consult an attorney, the company can't talk directly to you anymore - they have to deal with the attorney... or that's the way it was several years ago when I handled Human Resources locally. Be careful. It's best to talk to the HR/WC person first... use the attorney as a last resort.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well at this point i'm going to see how this injection works out..if I feel ANY discomfort i'm not going through the second at all..and will contact my HR contact... :)

I am off for now but will be back on later.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My husband is a claims case manager of worker's comp. If you get an attorney, ol' fashioned girl is right. And many times it's just a settlement; it doesn't go to court. And as tj said, talk to the administrator of worker's comp at your job about the heavy lifting. That's one thing you definitely should not be doing.

Side notes on worker's comp: Whenever you file a claim, it's kept in a data base that any company can access if you apply for a new job. Whatever action you take, such as hiring an attorney, might work against you later. Not always, but it can.

Also, (and this is not directed at you, aspiring), they have fraud units and hire surveillance. They might use a stretch limo, a CAT truck, a bus, anything, to legally watch the claimant. If you're seen carrying anything heavy outside of the job, that can be used against you.

Aspiring, talk to someone in your company who deals with the worker's comp issues. One of my son's has had two worker's comp claims already, so I know how frustrating it is on your end, too. And believe me, I made sure my husband knew how a claimant feels!

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Fingers...

Oh man I how can I think you for writing this..:) I do have health insurance and can go to a different position within the county but if I start hurting again in say two or three months, they won't pay for it..so basically i'm screwed unless I get an attorney.
If youve got a herniated disk this is not going to get better without surgery. If youre in pain DO NOT GO BACK TO WORK! If you go back to work youre admitting that there isnt a problem. Have the injection and see what the diagnosis is. They made my diagnosis of stenosis just from the MRI and xrays they had done. But the injection is what made them go back to the MRI and take a closer look at it. If you have your own insurance get a different doctor. You are entitled to get a second opinion. I was originally not given the option of 'light duty' because the company I work for said there was no position within the company that light duty was an option. Right now I am on short term disability through my companys insurance carrier because I cannot prove that the injury was work related. I am off work since february and will probably be off work for at least three months after the surgery. I too had to try physical therapy at first but it did no good. They are going to try everything they can to see if youre condition improves before they give the okay for surgery. At this point I am in constant pain and I still have a month to go before my surgery. Its time consuming and a pain in the ass (no pun) or the shoulders to be more exact. But I urge you to do what you must to get the right diagnosis and if that includes surgery then do what you have to. I have yahoo IM, MSN IM, and Im on Skype. If you want to talk without the hassle of going through the forum like this please let me know. As an aside to all this Festus's wife just went through the same surgery im going to go through and she is doing very well. Youre not alone in this so let me know if i can help. Take care.
Yer pal Brian

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

You should be able to appeal it -- write a letter to W/C and let them know your concerns. It helps if you know of other forms of treatment that are available, so that you can suggest them in your letter. Also be sure to mention if you think the doctor is blowing you off and not addressing your concerns, not taking the time to determine if it's the best course of action, etc.

I've done this with HMO's before; I would assume W/C at least has some channels you can go through to make sure you're getting proper care. Remember, it's in their best interest to fix you up: they don't want to pay for repairs when the treatment they pushed you into backfires.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Well at this point i'm going to see how this injection works out..if I feel ANY discomfort i'm not going through the second at all..and will contact my HR contact... :)

I am off for now but will be back on later.

If they're anything like cortisone injections (or if they are cortisone), I've heard they hurt like a mofo. I always refused them because they basically seem to fry the nerves so you don't FEEL any pain, but you're still INJURING the treated area.

But then...you and I have had conversations about modern medicine...LOL...you know how I feel about western medicine in general. ;)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
The workers comp and unemployment people are hacks. They are like the goddamned DMV. . . good luck. I have been down this road before and it is not pretty, or easy.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The workers comp and unemployment people are hacks. They are like the goddamned DMV. . . good luck. I have been down this road before and it is not pretty, or easy.

Amen to that.

And they're quick to get pissed off too. One of my doctors lied to W/C and said he treated me for a car accident, not my work-related injury. They called and told me they were pulling my claim IMMEDIATELY because I'd lied, so I'd better put up some proof YESTERDAY that I was telling the truth. Fortunately for Dr. Assmonkey, I worked for him at the time (got the injury at my other job), and had taken the liberty of photo-copying my charts before he had a chance to, shall we say, "doctor" them...

My claim didn't get pulled, and I quit working for him AND using him as a doctor. Later, he bumped into my mom (was also her doc), and commented that there "seemed to be a lot of animosity" coming from me.

Well, no shit...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Unfortunately, insurance companies are cutting back big time on their worker's comp people. Case loads are enormous. Your best bet is to go through your HR people and tell them what's going on. Or whoever is the liason in your company to the worker's comp. I also will say there are times when the insurance companies use certain doctors, those doctors pack 'em in. Just be honest and tell it like it is. Write letters. As I said, I've seen both sides of the fence, and it's frustrating on both sides.

Last edited:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well I had that Epidural Steroid Injection and it was no fun AT all...a lot of pressure in the injured area and I feel worse than I did before going in there... Right now i'm pretty livid, feel sick to my stomach and have a spinal headache...

This whole W/C is a load of crap if you ask me--:)

But I wanted to thank ALL of you for those who have posted...means so much to me that you care :) I am forever indebtetted to you :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
keep us posted.
I hope you get to feeling better very soon.