Books that don't sweep you away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
In another thread in this forum, upon receiving a rejection, Rllgthunder said "...my story just didn't sweep him away..." Which got me to thinking (yes, very dangerous). How many books have you read that, not only didn't sweep you away, but made you wonder what the agent and publisher were thinking in the first place. I'm not asking you to name books or authors.

I like to pick up books that sound interesting, fit my favorite genre, but aren't necessarily headed for the NY Times Best Sellers List. Often, after reading a few chapters, I have to give it up. Oh, the humanity!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about books that I pick up on my own, that sound interesting at first but that I then decide I don't like? Very few. I probably buy three books a week, and of all those books, I generally don't like about one or two a month. So let's say 2/12, or 1/6. I actually think it might be less than that, but that's probably close enough.

As for just total number of books that I read and don't like, it's a lot higher. This is because there are books I have to read for school, books I have to read for friends, and books I have to review for various reasons. Plenty of these books I end up liking, but I think the percentage of books I don't like is a lot higher.

Hope that answers your question. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Books that are too focused on a Grand Theme or are too busy doing literary gymnastics to give me a great plot or sympathetic characters are the ones that don't sweep me away. Occasionally, I get into such books, but not until well after the halfway point, when a sane person might have given up.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about books that I pick up on my own, that sound interesting at first but that I then decide I don't like?

Correct. At one point in my life, I felt compelled to read the book even if I found it uninteresting. Now, I try to read at least half the book before bailing. Like I said above, I pick up books that sound interesting, even if I'm unfamiliar with the author. But I must say, even some famous authors don't do it for me anymore. I guess that's why I'm willing to take chances.

I've also found that I can't read the same author two books in a row. I like to switch genres often too. Otherwise, the writing feels too similar. It's like I need a break from an author/genre to make it fresh next go round.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up a copy of "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. You will come to understand the meaning of the word slog when you finish it. To my horror they are shopping it to studios as a movie.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Funny, my ever-supportive husband said almost the same thing to me yesterday, when I was down in the dumps after reading through the collection of rejection letters from publishers my agent had forwarded to me. Even though most of the rejections were positive to a degree, the problem came down to too narrow an audience, too narrow in scope, too specialized a subject.

What it comes down it is "not swept away," I said. Whether because of the writing itself, or the content (which is hard to alter.)

He reminded me of all the stuff that gets published I'd never pick up--or books that are supposed to be wonderful, but leave you cold.

I guess we have to assume that if something gets published, at least by a major publisher--somebody was "swept away"--either personally, or at least by the prospect of big sales! (ie, they figure someone will be swept away...)

I have also read that in recent years there is more pressure to instantly "hook" a reader in the first few pages. Cultural shifts, short attention spans, the internet....I don't know if I completely buy it. But it's discouraging.

Susan

Last edited:

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Trouble is stuff like Lovely Bones is an instant hook. But I seriously began to doubt the publisher had actually read the rest of it when I started the long, plodding, wade to the end.

I actually hate it when a book is promoted as being humorous and then it isn't. I cite Ben Elton's 'Popcorn,' as a case in point. I had a ceremonial burning of it.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I've been quoted! :D

Jone: What I understood from Dan was that he might be looking for a high concept fantasy without the other world trappings. He told me he read a large chunk of my story but, as I mentioned, it wasn't 'sweeping him off his feet'.

My story is not high concept fantasy in that it is set in a very familiar setting, basically a farm with the simple type of creatures you would find there. No dragons, no trolls, no elves, etc.

So if anyone has a high concept fantasy that features more of a real world setting you might just have what Dan Lazar is looking for. I've researched a few other agents since and have found there are more than a few looking for fantasy without a high concept approach, too.

It's subjective on the agent's taste so you just have to keep submitting until that one agent likes what they read. If not, time for a major rewrite. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bones

Pick up a copy of "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. You will come to understand the meaning of the word slog when you finish it. To my horror they are shopping it to studios as a movie.

Good example. I loved "The Lovely Bones." Finished it in one sitting. But to others it's a long, slow, slogging read.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Count me among the many who reluctantly finished Lovey Bones. I liked the concept, but wasn't swept off my feet. As an agent, I probably would have passed and missed a huge sale.

KingRat

Registered
Reaction score
When I was on vaction in the Smokies a couple months ago I ran across "Painted House" by John Grisham in our cabin. It was raining so I settled into the comfy chair upstairs, looking out over a grand view of Smokey mountain mist, and read the first two chapters. I thought it was so good that when I returned home I bought my own copy. Try as I might, I just couldn't read it at home. Maybe it was the atmosphere? Everything seems nicer in the mountains. At home it just seemed like a really bad book.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Could not get through Ian McEwan's 'Saturday'. Annoying thing was, someone then gave it to me for my b'day. So I tried again. Throwing good chunks of time after bad.

KingRat

Registered
Reaction score
About two decades ago I bought 'Grapes of Wrath' and put it aside after a couple of chapters. A year or so later I finished the book I was reading and picked Steinbeck up again. Loved every word of it and still think it's a great book.

temerity

desperately deadlined!
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. I guess I'd be in the literary minority if I said that I LOVED The Lovely Bones?

Don't shoot! :)

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I recently picked up what I thought was chick lit. Then I saw it had 4 author blurbs on front/back covers, and 2 full pages of rave reviews from another 12 authors. So I figured it would be less chick, more lit. It was neither. It was full of promise but never got close to delivering. I still don't understand the over the top praise, nor the solid 5 star Amazon reviews. "Funny, fast-paced, and incisive"?? No.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are actually in the majority when it comes to liking the book, Temerity! (in the global scheme of things)

I just found that the writing in the first couple of opening chapters, seemed to bear no resemblence to that in the rest of the book. And I'm one of those sad people that will keep on slogging to the end because the reviewers have told me that it's good. So, I'm presuming that I must get to those bits at some point ...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Okay, talk about hype? Anticipation. I went for it. Now I'm wondering why I did.

I know it's too early to tell, but I'm 200 pages into Ender's Game and it is a tough, tough slog through this maze. There really is no hook, other than a genius child goes off to train for war. To become an officer. A six-year-old child genius. So far, this is 200 pages of annoying setup--all of this practicing, all of these war game scenarios, which don't really change other than bouncing off walls and advancing in rank. I don't get the full meaning behind the mysterious computer game scenarios, played out in that fantasy setting. Are we discovering Ender's innovative thinking through this trial? Valantine presents a somewhat interesting character thus far, and somehow I know that the two siblings might be reunited. But she's buried in the background. Ender, the picked on kid, bullied and shoved around, is advancing in age, gaining rank, and transforming into the type of prick he detests. Guh. My empathy/sympathy is bleeding away here and I hope it doesn't end up a torrent.

Honest to gawd, there are a plethora of characters in this book (thus far) that aren't drawn well enough for me to remember them by name. Just bad ones and good ones. The manuevers they pull and the description of the inside of the war rooms have more characterization than the people themselves.

I hope this has got a major payoff somewhere--a twist, a full-out battle, or some really cool strategies. Gawd, please give me a time/warp jump to the alien planet, where Ender ends up 26-years old and is ready to hose some alien azz.

I will reserve judgement. I want to know why this took the Hugo and Nebulae awards, when it seems to have broken some major accepted rules. This story DID NOT hit the ground running. I will gladly retract my feelings/perception if I can get through this. And I don't mean to pizz off any Card fans. But somebody...please reasure me, cause I feel like a fool dissing this book.

Tri

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Tri, I can't help because I haven't read it. but maybe the ending will be really good ... something like, it all ends up being a dream:roll:

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
'The Memory keeper's Daughter'. This book was so hyped. It's even on Australia's top 100 reads! -everyone was rushing to buy it. I thought it was the biggest load of crap i've ever read and I actually felt cheated out of $22.95.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Triceratops, I had the same problem with The Westing Game (Newbery Medal Winner). Too many characters. Interesting characters, but too many for my feble mind to keep track. After realizing I was forcing myself to continue reading, I discontinued. Perhaps someone will tell me the end is worth the trouble. I still have the book. It's not too late.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
I read a lot of YA novels, and I sometimes wonder, "Why was this published?" I don't understand every adolescent girl's obsession with Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, but maybe that's because I'm not an adolescent girl anymore. To be fair, I can see WHY it was published, but that doesn't mean it should have been. It's pretty much 400 pages of the main character wondering why all the other characters think she's so gosh darn neat, including a vampire, who is (surprise!) ridiculously hot.

But, then, that's what I get for giving another vampire novel the benefit of the doubt.

KingRat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Tri, I can't help because I haven't read it. but maybe the ending will be really good ... something like, it all ends up being a dream:roll:

Wouldn't it be funny if it really was a dream -- but the dream was that you were only dreaming you were reading the book? Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.