PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's Halloween

Writer2011
05-07-2007, 06:16 AM
So...who's stoked about seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween? I read on halloweenmovies.com that he's not making it gory (that remains to be seen) but more of a revisioning, which from the trailer, looks pretty darn good..

I'm counting down the days until August 10th :)

kristie911
05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I haven't seen the trailer for it yet...but unless it looks really, really good, I'll skip it. I hated Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. It was just bloody awful. It's going to take me a lot to waste that kind of time again on a Rob Zombie film.

Yeah, yeah...I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for that comment.

Celia Cyanide
05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry, but no.

Yuck.

Halloween is one horror movie that should not be remade. And I can't think of a worse person to do it. Except maybe Eli Roth.

Why do they need to do this? Why can't they just rerelease the original in the theatres?

I'm very sensitive about Halloween because, despite my love for horror, I can't stand American slasher films. I never liked Freddie or Jason. Only Michael Myers. So I can't really see the point of remaking this.

dclary
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
What about Pauly Shore? I bet Rob Zombie would do a better job than Pauly Shore.

tourdeforce
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
And I can't think of a worse person to do it. Except maybe Eli Roth.

I would throw out Uwe Boll's name as a worse candidate.

Not holding out high hopes for this one.

I love slasher films and would welcome new, fresh and good entries in the genre but Halloween is a classic and should be left alone.

Rob Zombie is no John Carpenter.

In fact, after Halloween, John Carpenter is no John Carpenter.

Except for DAWN OF THE DEAD, these contemporary remakes have been complete failures. This one is likley to be no different.

dclary
05-07-2007, 06:53 PM
In fact, after Halloween, John Carpenter is no John Carpenter.

I'd disagree, only because I love Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China. But other than that? Yeah. Pretty slim pickin's from JC. Unless you're a Rowdy Roddy Piper fan.

Celia Cyanide
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I would throw out Uwe Boll's name as a worse candidate.

Okay, good point.

Pauly Shore would be bad, but I was speaking in terms of horror directors. Uwe Bolle is a horror director, I suppose. His films are pretty horrific, anyway.

While House of 1000 Corpses was not without charm, I thought it was pretty campy with too many meta-references. That, and the over the top gore was exactly the opposite of everything that made Halloween great.

I have no problem with gore. I love me a good Italian giallo. But Halloween was subtle and creepy. And I just watched Going To Pieces: The Rise and Fall Of The Slasher Film last night, and Rob Zombie just seemed like a dork.

Celia Cyanide
05-08-2007, 01:51 AM
...now that I think about it, this might just be karma catching up with JC for his Village Of The Damned remake.

Oh, well.

robeiae
05-08-2007, 03:59 AM
I'd disagree, only because I love Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China. But other than that? Yeah. Pretty slim pickin's from JC. Unless you're a Rowdy Roddy Piper fan.
The Thing?

Peasants.

zahra
05-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Sorry, but no.

Why do they need to do this? Why can't they just rerelease the original in the theatres?

I'm very sensitive about Halloween because, despite my love for horror, I can't stand American slasher films. I never liked Freddie or Jason. Only Michael Myers. So I can't really see the point of remaking this.

They do it for the kidz, Celia, those 18ish young'uns who haven't seen the originals or think them 'lame' compared to what they're seeing now, in terms of gore and sex. It's an easy win, for the studios.

Totally agree with you on horror and slashfests. I don't want horror to make me feel queasy, I want it to make me feel dread. Creep me out, don't gross me out, is pretty much my take on the subject.

Writer2011
05-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Halloween is coming out August 31st...not the 10th..at least that's what I saw on Yahoo :)

dclary
05-08-2007, 09:26 AM
The Thing?

Peasants.

Was speaking specifically of post-Halloween films, Robeiae.

Celia Cyanide
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
They do it for the kidz, Celia, those 18ish young'uns who haven't seen the originals or think them 'lame' compared to what they're seeing now, in terms of gore and sex. It's an easy win, for the studios.

I don't know if I feel that teenagers today think that Halloween is lame compared to the over the top gore that is popular right now. I was too young to see Halloween when it came out. By the time I watched it, I had seen all of Dario Argento's movies. I still liked Halloween, because it was good.

Gore is a trend that comes and goes. Back in the 70's, there was lots of gore. And after Halloween, slasher films became rather bloody. When The Ring remake came out, it was fashionable to be creepy and implicit, the same way that Halloween was. And that J-Horror thing fell down pretty fast, and now we're back to over the top gore. Halloween isn't really of it's time the way that the original Nosferatu was.

There are a lot of bad slasher movies that I think could be remade, because they sucked, but they didn't have to. Halloween just doesn't suck!

robeiae
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Was speaking specifically of post-Halloween films, Robeiae.
Dude, I'm gonna be forced to squash your head--like a nut:

The Thing--released in 1982

Halloween--released in 1978

Hell, The Thing came out after Escape From New York (1981).

Bmwhtly
05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
The Thing?
The Fog?

seun
05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I know it's easy to bash remakes (and most of the time for me, an automatic reaction) but I can't bring myself to get excited about this remake or any other. Why would anyone get excited about a lazy way for studios to make cash?

Give me a relatively original idea with an intelligent script and real characters. I'll take that over a remake populated by stupid, forgettable teenagers, 'acting' their way through a predictable script.

dclary
05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Dude, I'm gonna be forced to squash your head--like a nut:

The Thing--released in 1982

Halloween--released in 1978

Hell, The Thing came out after Escape From New York (1981).

Huh. Ok. I guess The Thing sucked then.

;)

(And I'll add that about the Fog, too, to avoid double posting).

:D

Celia Cyanide
05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I know it's easy to bash remakes (and most of the time for me, an automatic reaction) but I can't bring myself to get excited about this remake or any other. Why would anyone get excited about a lazy way for studios to make cash?

I think it would be funny if someone remade a really bad 80's slasher film and made it a funny parody. Roger Ebert once said, "If you're going to remake a movie, remake a bad movie, not a good movie." I agree with him. Most bad movies have something about them that could have been good, but they just didn't work. Why not give one of those movies another chance?

Perks
08-24-2007, 01:35 AM
I just found out about this and I'm cautiously giddy. I hated House of 1000 Corpses -- hugely. But Halloween was a terrific horror flick, the flagship of a sub-genre.

The treatment of this remake could be brilliant, because although the trailer shows some scenes that will be familiar from the original, what I read is that this film deals with why lil' Mikey did what he did when he was a grade-schooler. So, all the same scenes, but with the 'whys' filled-in.

Hee hee.

Shadow_Ferret
08-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Oh! Rob Zombie is doing it? I saw the ads for the remake of Halloween and I was yelling, WHY! WHY must you always mess with the classics? Halloween is not only a classic of the genre, but it pretty much started the whole slasher craze. I don't like the other slasher movies, but Halloween was a gem with Donald Pleasance, the spooky score, and I've always liked John Carpenter.

But I like Rob Zombie, so maybe it'll be pretty good.

Perks
08-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, but it's not just a remake. The iconic scenes, in the trailer, are redone, but from twenty degrees different camera angle. It's a vehicle to tell us why. And, if that neanderthal Zombie didn't screw it up, it could be fantastic.

Jerm
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
As much as I love the original Halloween I am still curious about the remake. I remember seeing JC's Halloween on Halloween night when I was 9, my first Rated-R movie!

I distinctly remember waking up that night terrified and running upstairs to my parents room because the boogie man was chasing me!

There is so much character behind the original Michael Myers and he doesn't even speak. He builds character with his movement and actions. JC also did a great job with the sound and eerie Music score.

With Rob Zombies version I just don't think its going to be there. I think you can basically expect a very tall man in a mask walking very slowly, break through doors and windows for cheap scares slashing teens.

As much as I hate remakes I do want to see it, but I think that's because I have seen every Halloween movie since part 4 at the theatre. Was a little to young to catch 2 and 3. So it's kinda like a tradition, no matter how bad some of them sucked.

Perks
08-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I think the three best horror film scores (off the top of my head) are: The Exorcist (Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield is actually a very beautiful piece of music, but once a version was cut for the film, there it was forever and ever and always), Halloween and The Amityville Horror.

Writer2011
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I saw a behind the scenes about Rob Zombies Halloween and basically the film is broken down into three acts.. Mikey as a child, Mikey at Smith's Grove and finally Mikey after little sister :)

And if you swing over to yahoo movies there's a clip...and for Rob Zombie fans (such as myself) you might recognize the folks :) If not then that's okay :)

Writer2011
08-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh five more days :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, but it's not just a remake. The iconic scenes, in the trailer, are redone, but from twenty degrees different camera angle. It's a vehicle to tell us why. And, if that neanderthal Zombie didn't screw it up, it could be fantastic.
Why are you calling him a Neanderthal? Rob Zombie is a very intelligent guy with a great respect for the tradition of horror.

Celia Cyanide
08-29-2007, 01:36 AM
I saw a behind the scenes about Rob Zombies Halloween and basically the film is broken down into three acts.. Mikey as a child, Mikey at Smith's Grove and finally Mikey after little sister :)

And if you swing over to yahoo movies there's a clip...and for Rob Zombie fans (such as myself) you might recognize the folks :) If not then that's okay :)

I think Micheal's mystery is what makes him interesting. I can live without his backstory.

The only thing about this movie that interests me is Malcom McDowell as Dr. Loomis.

Perks
08-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Why are you calling him a Neanderthal? Rob Zombie is a very intelligent guy with a great respect for the tradition of horror.
Yes, but he makes crap films. Before men had fire and the wheel, they made crap films. Ergo, Neanderthal.

ChaosTitan
08-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Yes, but he makes crap films.

I gotta go with Perks on this one. I love a good horror film, so I rented 1000 Corpses when it first came out. Utter borefest. I had no intention of renting Devil's Rejects, but so many people said it was better than Corpses, so I felt compelled to give it a chance. Ugh. Just...ugh.

Fortunately, my roomie has never seen a Rob Zombie movie and she wants to see this new Halloween. I'll watch it with her, because I love horror. But for me, Zombie is on his third strike and he needs to hit it out of the ballpark.

Then again, this is just me. I know some peeps who swear by Zombie, and that's cool. Different strokes.

Perks
08-29-2007, 03:44 AM
I know some peeps who swear by Zombie, and that's cool. It's cool by me, too. I'll just look at 'em funny.

ChaosTitan
08-29-2007, 04:08 AM
It's cool by me, too. I'll just look at 'em funny.

:ROFL:

Celia Cyanide
08-29-2007, 04:12 AM
I gotta go with Perks on this one.

Count me as another one who doesn't get why Rob Zombie is supposed to be horror's new savior. :Shrug:

Perks
08-29-2007, 04:27 AM
From what I've heard, it's you Miss Celia.

Serenity
08-29-2007, 05:13 AM
Fortunately, my roomie has never seen a Rob Zombie movie and she wants to see this new Halloween. I'll watch it with her, because I love horror. But for me, Zombie is on his third strike and he needs to hit it out of the ballpark.

Okay... now I'm worried. :Wha:

Perks
08-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Why? Are you ChaosTitan's roommate?

Serenity
08-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Yes, actually. ;)

Perks
08-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Ahhhhh. Hee hee! I'll look for updates on this thread.

Shadow_Ferret
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Count me as another one who doesn't get why Rob Zombie is supposed to be horror's new savior. :Shrug:
Who says that?

Celia Cyanide
08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Who says that?

Lots of horror fans I've met. I have one director friend who hates remakes so much that he was mad when he found out The Departed was a remake, because it meant he couldn't like it. And he's still going to see new Halloween, just because it's Rob Zombie. And he LOVES horror.

ChaosTitan
08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I have one director friend who hates remakes so much that he was mad when he found out The Departed was a remake, because it meant he couldn't like it.

He dislikes remakes on general principle? That's just...odd. I take it then, even as a horror fan, he didn't like The Ring or The Grudge on general principle? ;)

Celia Cyanide
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
He dislikes remakes on general principle? That's just...odd. I take it then, even as a horror fan, he didn't like The Ring or The Grudge on general principle? ;)

Hey, I never said he made sense! :) I was just trying to illustrate how much he apparently likes Rob Zombie!

Shadow_Ferret
08-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I dislike remakes on principle, too.

However, I don't necessarily consider taking a foreign film and Americanizing it doing a remake. You're reinterpreting it for a different audience. Just like
"The Magnificent Seven" was a remake/reinterpretation of "The Seven Samurai." It's still a good movie.

And as Perks has pointed out, this Halloween isn't necessarily a remake so much as backstory of how he came to be.

sthrnwriter
08-30-2007, 10:15 AM
I was watching Ghost Hunter re-runs tonight and a few scenes of the new Halloween movie were shown. Rob Zombie said it wasn't a prequel, sequel or remake (something like that). So, I'm wondering what exactly are we suppose to call it?

I'm willing to give remakes a chance, but I think Rob Zombie could have picked a better movie than Halloween. I'm not sure if I even like him as a director. I wasn't a total fan of House of 1000 Corpses.

Perks
08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Look what they're saying:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/halloween/

Celia Cyanide
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
wow...that doesn't look good

kristie911
08-31-2007, 09:54 PM
The previews do look kind of good. But I was so incredibly disappointed in House of 1000 Corpses, I probably won't take the time to watch Halloween.

Writer2011
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Okay I just got back from seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween...and well it was AWESOME. He pays homage to the original. :)

I did like the back story because you see what makes Michael the way he is. The poor kid was bullied, picked on, treated like dirt...you name it. It's real, emotional.

It's not very gory and a lot of the violence is implied, like the original. So if you haven't seen it, please by all means do.

Perks
09-01-2007, 01:48 AM
:)

I did like the back story because you see what makes Michael the way he is. The poor kid was bullied, picked on, treated like dirt...you name it. It's real, emotional.

Well, now I don't need to see it, do I?

Celia Cyanide
09-01-2007, 01:53 AM

That kind of makes him a lot less scary, doesn't it?

The whole appeal of Michael Myers was that he walked upstairs and killed his sister one day for no reason. Dr Loomis spent years trying to figure out what was wrong with him, and he couldn't do it. That's what made him interesting.

Writer2011
09-01-2007, 01:57 AM
There's more to it than just that--trust me :) It's like Mikey doesn't realize he did anything wrong. He asks Dr. Loomis if he can go home. Then one day little Mikey just stops talking--for no reason.

Agreed it's not the original but it's better than some of the remakes out there.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm scared toothless of horror flicks . . . anybody else waiting on Garfield's Adventure Thru NonScary Land . . . lol . . . yep I'm a big dork.

Shadow_Ferret
09-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Okay I just got back from seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween...and well it was AWESOME. He pays homage to the original. :)

It's not very gory and a lot of the violence is implied, like the original. So if you haven't seen it, please by all means do.Cool. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD so it can sit proudly on the shelf with all my other Rob Zombie DVDs and CDs.

Look what they're saying:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/halloween/

All right all ready. We get it. Perks doesn't like Rob Zombie and the remake of Halloween. Sheesh. Someone take the stick away from her and let that poor horse alone already.

Writer2011
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Just to add--Halloween topped the box office for a record Labor Day weekend :) Just goes to show the franchise is alive.

Although Rob Zombie says he won't do another one but remember in 1978 when John Carpenter said he wouldn't make one...Well he didn't but in 1981, Halloween II was released.