Rob Zombie's Halloween

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
So...who's stoked about seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween? I read on halloweenmovies.com that he's not making it gory (that remains to be seen) but more of a revisioning, which from the trailer, looks pretty darn good..

I'm counting down the days until August 10th :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the trailer for it yet...but unless it looks really, really good, I'll skip it. I hated Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. It was just bloody awful. It's going to take me a lot to waste that kind of time again on a Rob Zombie film.

Yeah, yeah...I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for that comment.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but no.

Yuck.

Halloween is one horror movie that should not be remade. And I can't think of a worse person to do it. Except maybe Eli Roth.

Why do they need to do this? Why can't they just rerelease the original in the theatres?

I'm very sensitive about Halloween because, despite my love for horror, I can't stand American slasher films. I never liked Freddie or Jason. Only Michael Myers. So I can't really see the point of remaking this.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What about Pauly Shore? I bet Rob Zombie would do a better job than Pauly Shore.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
And I can't think of a worse person to do it. Except maybe Eli Roth.

I would throw out Uwe Boll's name as a worse candidate.

Not holding out high hopes for this one.

I love slasher films and would welcome new, fresh and good entries in the genre but Halloween is a classic and should be left alone.

Rob Zombie is no John Carpenter.

In fact, after Halloween, John Carpenter is no John Carpenter.

Except for DAWN OF THE DEAD, these contemporary remakes have been complete failures. This one is likley to be no different.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In fact, after Halloween, John Carpenter is no John Carpenter.

I'd disagree, only because I love Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China. But other than that? Yeah. Pretty slim pickin's from JC. Unless you're a Rowdy Roddy Piper fan.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I would throw out Uwe Boll's name as a worse candidate.

Okay, good point.

Pauly Shore would be bad, but I was speaking in terms of horror directors. Uwe Bolle is a horror director, I suppose. His films are pretty horrific, anyway.

While House of 1000 Corpses was not without charm, I thought it was pretty campy with too many meta-references. That, and the over the top gore was exactly the opposite of everything that made Halloween great.

I have no problem with gore. I love me a good Italian giallo. But Halloween was subtle and creepy. And I just watched Going To Pieces: The Rise and Fall Of The Slasher Film last night, and Rob Zombie just seemed like a dork.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but no.

Why do they need to do this? Why can't they just rerelease the original in the theatres?

I'm very sensitive about Halloween because, despite my love for horror, I can't stand American slasher films. I never liked Freddie or Jason. Only Michael Myers. So I can't really see the point of remaking this.

They do it for the kidz, Celia, those 18ish young'uns who haven't seen the originals or think them 'lame' compared to what they're seeing now, in terms of gore and sex. It's an easy win, for the studios.

Totally agree with you on horror and slashfests. I don't want horror to make me feel queasy, I want it to make me feel dread. Creep me out, don't gross me out, is pretty much my take on the subject.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Halloween is coming out August 31st...not the 10th..at least that's what I saw on Yahoo :)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
They do it for the kidz, Celia, those 18ish young'uns who haven't seen the originals or think them 'lame' compared to what they're seeing now, in terms of gore and sex. It's an easy win, for the studios.

I don't know if I feel that teenagers today think that Halloween is lame compared to the over the top gore that is popular right now. I was too young to see Halloween when it came out. By the time I watched it, I had seen all of Dario Argento's movies. I still liked Halloween, because it was good.

Gore is a trend that comes and goes. Back in the 70's, there was lots of gore. And after Halloween, slasher films became rather bloody. When The Ring remake came out, it was fashionable to be creepy and implicit, the same way that Halloween was. And that J-Horror thing fell down pretty fast, and now we're back to over the top gore. Halloween isn't really of it's time the way that the original Nosferatu was.

There are a lot of bad slasher movies that I think could be remade, because they sucked, but they didn't have to. Halloween just doesn't suck!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I know it's easy to bash remakes (and most of the time for me, an automatic reaction) but I can't bring myself to get excited about this remake or any other. Why would anyone get excited about a lazy way for studios to make cash?

Give me a relatively original idea with an intelligent script and real characters. I'll take that over a remake populated by stupid, forgettable teenagers, 'acting' their way through a predictable script.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Dude, I'm gonna be forced to squash your head--like a nut:

The Thing--released in 1982

Halloween--released in 1978

Hell, The Thing came out after Escape From New York (1981).

Huh. Ok. I guess The Thing sucked then.

;)

(And I'll add that about the Fog, too, to avoid double posting).

:D

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's easy to bash remakes (and most of the time for me, an automatic reaction) but I can't bring myself to get excited about this remake or any other. Why would anyone get excited about a lazy way for studios to make cash?

I think it would be funny if someone remade a really bad 80's slasher film and made it a funny parody. Roger Ebert once said, "If you're going to remake a movie, remake a bad movie, not a good movie." I agree with him. Most bad movies have something about them that could have been good, but they just didn't work. Why not give one of those movies another chance?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I just found out about this and I'm cautiously giddy. I hated House of 1000 Corpses -- hugely. But Halloween was a terrific horror flick, the flagship of a sub-genre.

The treatment of this remake could be brilliant, because although the trailer shows some scenes that will be familiar from the original, what I read is that this film deals with why lil' Mikey did what he did when he was a grade-schooler. So, all the same scenes, but with the 'whys' filled-in.

Hee hee.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Oh! Rob Zombie is doing it? I saw the ads for the remake of Halloween and I was yelling, WHY! WHY must you always mess with the classics? Halloween is not only a classic of the genre, but it pretty much started the whole slasher craze. I don't like the other slasher movies, but Halloween was a gem with Donald Pleasance, the spooky score, and I've always liked John Carpenter.

But I like Rob Zombie, so maybe it'll be pretty good.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, but it's not just a remake. The iconic scenes, in the trailer, are redone, but from twenty degrees different camera angle. It's a vehicle to tell us why. And, if that neanderthal Zombie didn't screw it up, it could be fantastic.

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I love the original Halloween I am still curious about the remake. I remember seeing JC's Halloween on Halloween night when I was 9, my first Rated-R movie!

I distinctly remember waking up that night terrified and running upstairs to my parents room because the boogie man was chasing me!

There is so much character behind the original Michael Myers and he doesn't even speak. He builds character with his movement and actions. JC also did a great job with the sound and eerie Music score.

With Rob Zombies version I just don't think its going to be there. I think you can basically expect a very tall man in a mask walking very slowly, break through doors and windows for cheap scares slashing teens.

As much as I hate remakes I do want to see it, but I think that's because I have seen every Halloween movie since part 4 at the theatre. Was a little to young to catch 2 and 3. So it's kinda like a tradition, no matter how bad some of them sucked.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think the three best horror film scores (off the top of my head) are: The Exorcist (Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield is actually a very beautiful piece of music, but once a version was cut for the film, there it was forever and ever and always), Halloween and The Amityville Horror.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a behind the scenes about Rob Zombies Halloween and basically the film is broken down into three acts.. Mikey as a child, Mikey at Smith's Grove and finally Mikey after little sister :)

And if you swing over to yahoo movies there's a clip...and for Rob Zombie fans (such as myself) you might recognize the folks :) If not then that's okay :)