Historical Newspapers Online, Advice Please

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A number of historical newspapers are now online or are being put online. Of course, some are only accessible through services available to libraries which choose to subscribe to them. When I've tried to ask about others, which ones are available to individuals and the cost, I don't get very clear and complete answers. Also, is there a list of ALL such services, and which are for libraries and which are for individuals, and a way to check which issues of which newspapers are included with which service? Naturally I would want to choose the service with the most newspapers of the most interest to the times and places I want to research.

I am not in a TEARING RUSH, as there is much I can gain from books and the internet, but some things are best learned from the sort of day-to-day accounts vintage newspapers can provide.

Also, could a group of historical writers band together into some sort of society, pay dues, and all be subscribed to one or more services which would provide a wider range of access to such newspapers than an individual could normally afford? Has anyone looked into this? Does anyone want to? If no one here, can someone put me in touch with where I might take these questions? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Newspapers

I can't tell you about the best place to find your newspaper articles without actually going into the newspaper acrchives, but I can give you a couple other resources I've used.

Presidential libraries carry a wealth of information on everything that happened during a president's term, and you don't have to join, but you will have to pay (reasonable prices) for photos.

Also, each state has a historical society, and they have great web sites for looking up research material.

Good luck, jeff

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping someone with knowledge of the various sources could recommend a particular service for this information. Like, is there some kind of a writer's group one could join and get a group rate? Since it seems these services are usually available through libraries, and to make use of a particular service one would have to be a member of a large library with a subscription to it.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
the problem with proquest is that it only archives 5 major newspapers, which can be a pain if you need a lot of sources. not sure the private individual rate may be worth your buck.

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
What I did recently was subscribe to Time and New York Times, both cost me 2.99 each for an entire month. It depends however, because both individual newspapers only place historical newspapers starting from certain time, I think Time starts from 1800's and New York Times somewhere from 1850. Since my novel is set after those times, it was a great bargain. You even get to print the articles out, and keep them for future use and not have to subscribe to another month. Hope that helps.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I moved this up a few days ago and it received one or two replies before the information was lost in the outage so I am bumping it again.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Actually, ProQuest can access LOTS of the major newspapers -- don't have the list on front of me, but it's more than five -- from the last 200 years or so (when that message was written, it may well have been five -- but it's more now).

My local library (in Montgomery County, Maryland) actually provides anyone with a library card with free online access -- available from your home computer even! -- for the New York Times and Washington Post, dating as far back as 1850. Your local library may do the same.

I agree there's nothing like old newspapers to give you a sense of time and place. The biggest problem I've had with some services that aren't ProQuest is that their search engines can oftentimes be tough to use -- if you don't type what you're looking for exactly right, you'll miss it.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I currently have a card to a library to which I may not be familiar with all available services.

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
I subscribe to Footnote.com and am really happy with it. So many US newspapers (If they have foreign as well, I haven't explored that direction) that I can't get to half of them for my setting. The program searches text which is really, really useful if you only know the vague time period or place. I think it runs $80.00 a year and is well worth it for me. I spend too much time reading old newspapers to do it at the library.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, it's nice to be aware of all the possibilities.