Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Today, I was doing edits on my Moonstone novel, and I came to the following phrase:
He stopped his horse up in front of a building...

How do you stop up his horse? Is he riding a horse or a toilet?
:Shrug:

So have you come across any silly phrases you wrote without realizing it? :D

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
lol. Yeah. I wrote a short-short in which a mean-tempered father tries to get his son to participate in the castration of young bull-calves to turn them into steers. As I was reading the rough draft I came upon this gem. Standing over a bull-calf that has been wrestled to the ground by some other ranch hands, the father hands the knife to his son and say's:

"You see'd it done before," he said. "Now get down there and make me a steer."

I'm glad I caught that one...:)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I found an extraneous word in my second chapter that had nothing to do with the story. I'd tabbed into Word to spell check for a forum post, forgot to erase it, and didn't find it until weeks later when I went back to proofread. It was sitting at the end of the first paragraph.

I re-read my work more often now ;)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I run across stuff like this all the time...I just can't think of any of mine off the top of my head.

But thanks everyone for the giggle. Makes me feel better about my own mistakes. :)

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Most of the time (thank goodness!!!) I say "Wow! I wrote that!" in reference to a great sentence/scene. Although I have had the, "OMGZ! I wrote that (piece of crap)!?!" LOL

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've told this story around here once before, but it's been a while.

In my defense, I was extremely hungry, but I was determined to finish the story. Instead of writing " because he missed the boat" I wrote "because he missed the hamburger." DOH! I didn't catch it until I saw a printed copy. Yikes!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
LOL! I have trouble writing the word account with all the letters in the right order. Big problem if I don't catch it.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've told this story around here once before, but it's been a while.

In my defense, I was extremely hungry, but I was determined to finish the story. Instead of writing " because he missed the boat" I wrote "because he missed the hamburger." DOH! I didn't catch it until I saw a printed copy. Yikes!

LOL! :D

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Dear God, I already have another one. :D In this one, I have alternating chapters from two POV characters (each chapter belonging to one of the MCs).

While I was entering edits last night, I thought that a minor character, the palace scribe, Pelan (named after a horror writer/editor :)), should appear as a ghost after being tortured to death. So in the scene where the palace ghosts show up at one MC's castle, Pelan's ghost shows up, acting a little goofy because he's so happy that he is no longer in pain that he doesn't mind being dead. It was great stuff.

Then I go to the next chapter, and I realize that the son of a ... scribe Pelan is still alive!!!
:rant: :cry: :roll:

I solved that easily enough. I moved his death up to the end of the chapter before the one where he shows up as a ghost. So there.
:e2tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.