• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjh

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to find an excellent writer to take me under their wing and be my mentor. I don't know what I have to give in return, but I'd be eternally gratefull.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to tell everyone a little about your writing, your goals, etc. so appropriate people may offer assistance.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
As RainbowDragon said above, PJH, tell us a bit about your novel, the genre, what stage it's at, etc.

pjh

Registered
Reaction score
I have one unsalable finished novel. However, I am working on turning a short story into a novel. The Short story is currently posted, in its incomplete form, on share your work. I could use help with the best way to lay out the novel, POV, writing good dialougue, how to show more than tell, etc. In other words, I need help with just about all the conventions of good fiction writing.

A short Bio:

I am a grad student studyging English, specifically literature. Also, I am a graduate teaching assistant. I teach freshman composition. In graduate school I have learned a great deal about literature, and ways to disect literature ie., literary theories. My academic writing has improved greatly. However, my knowledge of how to write good fiction has not improved. I plan to take the summer and work on restructuring the above mentioned story into a novel. As of now my writing is lackluster, unorganized, I jump back and forth in time, and the work appears to be generally, although I know the message I want to convey in this piece, lacking any sense of direction.

Thank You All For Taking the Time to Consider Helping,

PJH

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi PJH - I read most of your post in Share Your Work. Rather than jumping immediately to look for a mentor, I think what you need to do at this point is actually lay out your story - go back to what you were taught ages ago and make up an outline (of sorts). I don't use a regular outline (and I really haven't seen too many people on here who say they do) - my preference is to set things up in an Excel spreadsheet and then I can move things around if I want to.

In what you posted you have a main line of thought (your MC) but you also have several sublines that are almost as well developed as your main line. Using Excel (or even a piece of paper) make one column your main character and then separate columns for your subordinate characters. Put the actions for each character down sequentially in each column so action of a subordinate character that precedes an action by the main character comes above the main character's action in your layout. Then make an additional column for points or ideas that weren't developed (the Kennedy assassination, Dante's coffee).

Once you get it layed out you ought to be able to see where there are gaps - where there are actions that don't have enough set up and explanation before they happen. From what I read of your post, you're still in the construction stage of writing the story - not to the point yet of working on polishing.

One of the big advantages for working on this yourself is that you want it to be your story, your ideas. If you work with someone there's a high possibility your mentor would say something like - how about if you have Dante put bourbon in his coffee and you say - oh yeah, that's a good idea - but it really isn't. My suggestion is for you to work a lot more on this yourself before you think about asking for any help (and then what you'd probably want is a Beta reader to see if it all makes sense and whether it has errors).

That's my two cents worth. Good luck. Puma

pjh

Registered
Reaction score
Puma,

Thank you so much for your direction. Actually, you have been the mentor that I was hoping to find here. I do want my story to remain mine. And yet, you have given me the concise kind of structuring tips that I can use to hopefully accomplish these goals.

Thanks Again For taking the Time to Teach,

pjh

cattywampus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pygmypress.com

THE PYGMY PRESS offers writing services, including critiques, editing, MS doctor, and mentoring.

If you need help with that book or story you've been dying to write, or are trying to write, contact us at [email protected], or visit our site at
http://pygmypress.com.

A published author will guide you through the process via e-mail "Lessons" - one or two e-mail pages, tailored to your particular needs. No fluff, just good, solid instruction - the kind of help you need.

Mentoring can save you a lot of time and energy, not to mention writer's block. It helps you stay motivated, and keeps you on the right path, start to finish. As one client said, "Trying to write a book without a guide is like wandering lost and alone through the Amazon rain forest."

Lessons: $2.00 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.