Jaco Pastorius
Jim Cammack (Ahmad Jamal Trio)
Jack Bruce (Cream)
John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam)

ChunkyC
05-06-2007, 03:02 AM
Chris Squire (Yes)
Mike Rutherford (Genesis / Mike & the Mechanics)
Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
Dougie Thomson (Supertramp)

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Stanley Clarke
Les Claypool
Billy Sheehan
Jack Casady
Jaco Pastorius

Nolita
05-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Choked on coffee. Just realized if this was 1972, some little girl would be here going on and on about how Danny Partridge is her favorite bass player. hahaha

ChunkyC
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Or Peter Tork (http://www.monkees.net/petert.htm). ;)

III
05-07-2007, 03:18 AM
John Myung
John Entwistle
Stu Hamm
Muzz Skillings
Peter Tork

benbradley
05-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Stanley Clarke

and it took eight posts to name him.

For pop music there's Paul McCartney, especially his humming on The Beatles' "I Will."

Then there's that uncredited bassist on "When Doves Cry." I wonder who that was, maybe he just showed up late for that song.

Jaco Pastorius
I was at some heavy metal bar a few decades back when the band was playing various things. The bassist played those runs of random-sounding 16th notes from the Heavy Weather album, and did it very well. I about freaked out.

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Choked on coffee. Just realized if this was 1972, some little girl would be here going on and on about how Danny Partridge is her favorite bass player. hahaha
Because I said Jack Casady?

ChunkyC
05-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Then there's that uncredited bassist on "When Doves Cry." I wonder who that was, maybe he just showed up late for that song.
From what I've read over the years (and if memory serves), Prince plays a lot of the instruments on his recordings, so it's possible that's him on that particular song.

III
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
From what I've read over the years (and if memory serves), Prince plays a lot of the instruments on his recordings, so it's possible that's him on that particular song.

He played all the instruments on Sign 'O The Times (if memory serves), but his backup band, The Revolution played on Purple Rain. I think When Doves Cry was all electronica anyway. And Jack Cassady always wore an ascot.

C.bronco
05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Roger Glover
http://www.rogerglover.com/img/gallery/pfiles/01.jpg

III
05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Roger Glover
http://www.rogerglover.com/img/gallery/pfiles/01.jpg

Don't forget his brother, Danny.

ChunkyC
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
:roll:

robeiae
05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
That's not funny. Danny can wail. Or is it whine...

Anyway, bassists:

Geezer Butler
John Entwhistle
Geddy Lee
John Wetton
Roger Waters

newmod
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
In no particular order:

Les Claypool
Jaco Pastorius
Stuart Morrow (ex-New Model Army)
Nelson (current New Model Army)
Patricia Morrison (for the Sisters of Mercy album Floodland, technically not fantastic but fit the songs really well and inspired me to pick up a bass).

Nolita
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Here's a bit of weird. Sean Lennon(you read that right), is a pretty good bassist. It surprised me when I first heard him.

III
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Here's a bit of weird. Sean Lennon(you read that right), is a pretty good bassist. It surprised me when I first heard him.

Are you implying that Paul is his real father? That might further explain the breakup of the Beatles.

ChunkyC
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Are you implying that Paul is his real father? That might further explain the breakup of the Beatles.
Which would mean Paul and Yoko had to sheet surf ... no, my universe can't survive such a thought.... ;)

C.bronco
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Cliff Burton.
Yanno, I just heard that Robert Trujillo is going to play bass for Metallica.
Or is he the guy that replaced Jason Newstead?

cray
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
...this thread is the most press that any bassists anywhere ever got.

Nolita
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
If he didn't look and sing so much(his voice I mean) like John, I would so have to wonder. I'm trying to dig up the video of him playing with Cibo Matto, can't find it though. There's one where he's playing, but the girls are drowning out his bass(live show, and they're using a sampler, and it's even kind of hard to hear the drummer).

So I'm looking for the one I saw way back that made me Scooby. It's from 120 minutes I think. Cibo Matto with Sean Lennon(and the director or journalist, whatever, anyway, they made a point of showing Sean play bass, and he was really, surprisingly, good).

All I can find this morning are vids of him moping around. To be fair, beautifully moping around, but still moping.

III
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Scooby? Does that mean it made you doo?

Nolita
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
No. Made me do a double take, and that weird Scooby sound. Like, h-ru-h?

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, considering there are a few Bass magazines out there, I don't think so.

cletus
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Cliff Burton.
Yanno, I just heard that Robert Trujillo is going to play bass for Metallica.
Or is he the guy that replaced Jason Newstead?
He joined the band 4 years ago.

1) Geddy Lee
2) Steve Harris
3) Cliff Burton
4) Geezer Butler
5) John Entwistle

Honourable mention: DeeDee Ramone

Inkdaub
05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Geddy Lee
Billy Gould
Trevor Dunn
Steve Harris
Claypool

benbradley
05-09-2007, 07:00 PM
...this thread is the most press that any bassists anywhere ever got.Well, considering there are a few Bass magazines out there, I don't think so.
Back decades ago I recall hearing of Rickenbacker 4001's flying out the doors of musical instrument stores. There were a lot of bassists in popular bands playing it, but it seems the biggest influence was some guy singing silly love songs.

Nolita
07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
And how was...

John Taylor(Duran/Duran)

missed?

I know, it's cuz Duran/Duran inhabited that pretty-boy land, somewhere between pop and progress back in the 80's. That said, he comes up with some really good basslines, and isn't that what being the best bassman/basswoman's all about?

Now for something strange. Do you need a bass to come up with a good bassline? Do you need a bass to be a good bass player? Lee Rocker's the unofficial King of the Double-Slap-Bass(made up word, he plays the bass violin upright and it becomes a combo/bass-percussion instrument). It's not a bass guitar though. Then taking it even further into weirdness there are all these folks yelling at other folks that they're idiots for loving the bassline from Seven Nation Army, because there's no bass in the song. Oh really?

I know I'm nutty(But in a good way right? That fine line between madness and genius right? I'm walking the line, yeah? Humor me, we loonies can be dangerous. Just ask Kieth Moon's chaufer, the dead one.) But it seems to me, that Seven Nation Army does indeed have a bassline. The octave pedal drops the guitar down to bass and consequently it has a bassline.

Furthermore what about the it's not a bassline in The Joker by The Steve Miller Band? Tuning that 6th string so it's way low. It makes a kind of bassline. Somehow it fits into the song alongside the strumming/rythm guitar and lead guitar, it just fits. So arguably, on one song, Steve's playing bass, rythm, and lead guitar, all on one instrument. The man's a genius. Even if you don't like his music, gotta give him his propers.

newmod
07-12-2007, 07:32 AM
NELSON!!!
STUART MORROW!!!
New Model Army

íToma!

poetinahat
07-12-2007, 07:53 AM
*pokes head in*
*searches for references to Robbie Shakespeare, Mick Karn, Bootsy Collins, or Flea*
*shrugs*
*drags non-bass-playing butt away*

Inkdaub
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
And how was...

John Taylor(Duran/Duran)

missed?

I know, it's cuz Duran/Duran inhabited that pretty-boy land, somewhere between pop and progress back in the 80's. That said, he comes up with some really good basslines, and isn't that what being the best bassman/basswoman's all about?

John Taylor is easily one of my favorites. Not only were his lines cool but Duran Duran were produced with John's bass pretty far out front. I like Duran Duran and John Taylor is great.

Pamster
07-13-2007, 03:25 AM
1) Les Claypool - change that one to Rick Savage and
2) Steve Harris
3) Geezer Butler - changed to Rusy Sarzo and I'd buy this list. ;) :D
4) Cliff Burton
5) Geddy Lee

My picks, anyhow. Anyone else?

I like the way you think Cav Guy

Berry
07-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Is this thread alive again? Here are my five:

Carol Kaye
Duck Dunn
Bootsy Collins
Family Man
Bakithi Kumalo

benbradley
07-13-2007, 04:27 AM

I've yet to see the movie "Standing in The Shadows of Motown" but perhaps the bassist who appears on the most hit songs, and certainly one of the musicians who got the least recognition for the work they did before that movie was made, is Motown bassist James Jamerson:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jamerson

Here's another "Legendary Unknown" bassist. Remember the bass line on the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

WriterInChains
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
These threads are fun! They give my never-ending music-pondering a point -- not that it needs one. :)

John Paul Jones, Zep
Geezer Butler, Sabbath
Mike Starr, AiC
Mike Inez, AiC
Paz Lenchantin, APC & solo

NovaHairstylingGel
07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Carlos D
Carlos D
Carlos D
Carlos D
Carlos D (Interpol)