PDA

View Full Version : Best Sci-Fi...

maestrowork
05-05-2007, 06:42 AM
And #1 is....

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_20037403_20037541,00.html

Agree? Disagree? What did they leave out? What should be #1?

Medievalist
05-05-2007, 06:43 AM
That's a lame list. There's a dead giveaway to the lameness in that they use Sci-Fi. The second indication is that there's almost no carry over between the Hugo winners (http://www.worldcon.org/hy.html), and the items on the list.

Melanie Nilles
05-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I agree with medievalist. They have some of the worst movies, imho, rated over the best. Who voted on this? Or did someone just say "Here! This is what I think."

Novelust
05-05-2007, 08:03 AM
It feels like a list compiled by a committee of five, and of those five, maybe one of them was actually a sci-fi fan.

And, dude, if Starship Troopers (don't get me wrong; Neil Patrick Harris was a bucket of fun in it) and Lost get to be on the list, please, someone put up one of my all-time favorites, Enemy Mine (1985). Not a perfect film by any means, but I can watch it over and over.

maestrowork
05-05-2007, 08:03 AM
I know. Starship Troopers? You must be fracking kidding me (although I think the new BSG has its rightful place on the list).

triceretops
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
A good list--not in the proper order and quite a few left out. Well, we don't have Star Wars unless they aren't qualifying it as SF. Matrix as the top film? I don't think so at all.

Just off the top of my head--Logan's Run (sure, maybe a bit campy)

The Time Machine

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (what? didn't even make the list?"

A.I.

Tri

Novelust
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Oh, yeah, BSG definitely does. If you were going on the miniseries alone, it would.

Babylon 5! Oh, why didn't I think of Babylon 5? Babylon 5 should definitely have edged out at least one of those other shows.

Novelust
05-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Little Shop of Horrors - the musical, with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin.

Hey. Talking alien plant. 1986. It counts.

maestrowork
05-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Yup, was thinking that. Way better than E.T. as far as SF is concerned.

Too cerebral for most people.

Novelust
05-05-2007, 08:39 AM
It looks like Close Encounters and 2001 are over the twenty-five-year limit. E.T. barely makes it.

Toothpaste
05-05-2007, 08:41 AM
To be honest, Starship Troopers is really oddly critically liked. And since this mag is a film geek mag (I say it with affection as I too am a film geek) I can understand why it got a mention. There is a sort of in-crowd with the sci fi film buffs who like to point out how satircal it actually was and how no one got it. I think it's a badge of honour to honour that film for those people.

And I always have to remind myself that despite the wretched sequels, The Matrix was groundbreaking.

But seriously I can understand leaving out 1 - 3, but wtf happened to Star Wars?

(I appreciate the Galaxy Quest mention though!)

maestrowork
05-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I love Galaxy Quest.

I think Star Wars was left out much as CEotTK and 2001 were -- they're over the 25 years limit.

dclary
05-05-2007, 09:35 AM
To be honest, Starship Troopers is really oddly critically liked. And since this mag is a film geek mag (I say it with affection as I too am a film geek) I can understand why it got a mention. There is a sort of in-crowd with the sci fi film buffs who like to point out how satircal it actually was and how no one got it. I think it's a badge of honour to honour that film for those people.

And I always have to remind myself that despite the wretched sequels, The Matrix was groundbreaking.

But seriously I can understand leaving out 1 - 3, but wtf happened to Star Wars?

(I appreciate the Galaxy Quest mention though!)

I love starship troopers.

BiggerBoat
05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
That's a really odd list.

Some items not on the list: Gattaca, Iron Giant, Abyss, Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, Jurassic Park, City of Lost Children, Dark City, Pitch Black, 28 Days Later, Minority Report...

That's off the top of my head, not even thinking about TV shows. I wouldn't put all of those into a top 25 list to be sure, but there sure are many items in this list I'd swap for some of these.

They did right by putting Blade Runner high on the list, but it needs to be #1. It's the most influential SF movie in the past 50 years (and it's actual SF, not fantasy or horror or magic realism).

Anyway, these lists are fun but this one is pretty odd.

It does show how little real SF we have in motion pictures and TV. For that we have to turn to fiction :)

dpaterso
05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Interesting list and very readable comments without any hint of snottiness. Whatever the reviewers' personal tastes might be, they certainly love the subject.

Sure, it's not what I would have picked... and the order's all wrong... and a few of the inclusions made me chuckle ("No way!") but what the heck, it entertained me for 10 minutes.

-Derek

Serenity
05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
A good list--not in the proper order and quite a few left out. Well, we don't have Star Wars unless they aren't qualifying it as SF. Matrix as the top film? I don't think so at all.

Just off the top of my head--Logan's Run (sure, maybe a bit campy)

The Time Machine

A.I.

Tri

I would have added those too, they need a top 25 of the past fifty years, though... (God, I can't believe I'm old enough to have movies I remember seeing out of a top 'whatever' out of the past 25 years...)

Oh, yeah, BSG definitely does. If you were going on the miniseries alone, it would.

Babylon 5! Oh, why didn't I think of Babylon 5? Babylon 5 should definitely have edged out at least one of those other shows.

BABYLON 5. Oh yes, it needs to be on this list! JMS did exactly what he said he was going to do and made a television series that spanned a five year arc and then it was done. Brilliant acting (for the most part) and great people to meet at cons.

BSG definitely belongs up there, but I would have moved Heroes (top 5, at least imho), Quantum Leap, and Firefly up the list. The first Terminator was classic, but the second? Well, maybe for Robert Patrick alone...

ChaosTitan
05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Space: Above and Beyond

While I agree that Star Trek: The Next Generation was influential in that it paved the way for the rest of the new series', in terms of quality and storytelling and overall greatness, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine deserves a spot.

Serenity
05-05-2007, 06:36 PM
*hangs head in shame...

How could I forget Space: Above and Beyond??? Did I not just spend last weekend watching the DVD's? I might just have to turn in my "I love James Morrison" Badge. :e2paperba

ChunkyC
05-05-2007, 07:36 PM
To be honest, Starship Troopers is really oddly critically liked.
Oddly is right. I think that was one of the worst movies ever made. Maybe they were trying to be satirical, but doing that was an insult to the novel by one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, Robert A. Heinlein. They completely missed the core of the story and replaced it with video-game bug-shootouts, turning a great story into a cartoon. Bleah.

Total Recall is another lousy movie. It shouldn't be anywhere near a top 1000 list, let alone top 25.

They've got some of it right. The Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek movie ever made and Blade Runner is a superb film.

Too bad Alien missed the 25 year cutoff. Definitely one of the best science fiction movies out there, imho.

jvc
05-05-2007, 08:32 PM
BABYLON 5. Oh yes, it needs to be on this list! JMS did exactly what he said he was going to do and made a television series that spanned a five year arc and then it was done. Brilliant acting (for the most part) and great people to meet at cons.

B5 should have been on the list for sure. JMS was great at writing that series. From what I remember, and this could be wrong, I heard the network cancelled the show at the start of season 4, and JMS had to re-write that season to finish the shadow wars, which wasn't meant to end until the last episode of the fifth season. But as the writing turned out to be the tightest the show had seen and hugely popular, the network picked it back up again and JMS had to write a new fifth season.

Serenity
05-05-2007, 08:42 PM
B5 should have been on the list for sure. JMS was great at writing that series. From what I remember, and this could be wrong, I heard the network cancelled the show at the start of season 4, and JMS had to re-write that season to finish the shadow wars, which wasn't meant to end until the last episode of the fifth season. But as the writing turned out to be the tightest the show had seen and hugely popular, the network picked it back up again and JMS had to write a new fifth season.

It was in doubt right up until the end of season 4 whether or not there would be a season 5, so he wrote and they shot the series finale, just in case. Then right at the absolute very last minute, the show got picked up for its last season and they saved that ep (Sleeping in Light) until the end of Season 5. That's why it's the only season 5 ep with Claudia Christian (who declined to reprise her role after season 4, the only cast member to do so). They replaced the season 4 finale with The Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

Any way it was done, it was brilliant sci-fi. :D

Tachyon
05-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I suspect that most of the people who compiled the list haven't seen those movies or series that they chose. -_-

For instance, where is Stargate SG-1?! Ten years, and it gets no mention? I definitely think that Firefly/Serenity deserves a higher spot on the list too--it's a refreshingly original take on the whole idea of the "space cowboy" concept that Star Trek began in the '60s. Doctor Who could go higher too.

And I'm not quite sure who was bribed in order to get Total Recall on that list...

jvc
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh yea, I can't believe I missed Stargate, that should have been on the list without question (Stargate and Babylon 5 are two of my all time favourite sci-fi shows).

SpookyWriter
05-05-2007, 09:29 PM
And Stargate Atlantic. I liked Enemy Mine also.

maestrowork
05-06-2007, 02:56 AM
I think Stargate is 100 times better than some of the other stuff on the list.

They did the right thing mentioning The THING, though -- and yes, God please, don't let them remake it. Also Bladerunner and Children of Men -- they did dystopia justice.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2007, 09:02 AM
That's a lame list. There's a dead giveaway to the lameness in that they use Sci-Fi. The second indication is that there's almost no carry over between the Hugo winners (http://www.worldcon.org/hy.html), and the items on the list.

Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi.

Sorry. It's a word coined by Forest J. Ackerman and one I've used ALL MY LIFE. Deal with it.

I will, however, agree that the list was lame. No Lost in Space? Pfft!

maestrowork
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Lost in Space, the movie? I don't think so.

I mean, what about The Incredibles, then? That's a great movie, even though it's animated.

ChunkyC
05-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Lost in Space the movie was even worse than the TV series, and the TV series was terrible.

And what about Heavy Metal? That was a great science fiction/fantasy film. Or Silent Running? *runs over to IMDB....* Okay, they're both outside the 25 year limit, but they're way better than half the movies on that list.

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Lost in Space, the movie? I don't think so.

I mean, what about The Incredibles, then? That's a great movie, even though it's animated.
No. The TV series. The movie had so much potential and they threw it all alway before they even started filming. I only own it because I'm a Lost in Space geek. The TV show was a classic. At least the first season was when they were trying for a more serious family drama. Dr. Smith was truly evil. The robot was robot-like and often deadly, thanks to Dr. Smith. The stories were more sci-fi oriented than later episodes. The sets were kitchy minimalism. And for the time, the space effects were as well done as anything Star Trek did.

It wasn't until season two that the show became campy.

Anthony Ravenscroft
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Best TV series? First season of War of the Worlds, with second place to Alien Nation.

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Alien Nation was OK. I don't recall WotW though. And that list says V came out in the 80s. I could have sworn I saw that when I was in High School, which would have placed it in the 70s.

No mention of Invaders! either. Or Time Tunnel.

And as far as movies, what... no Them!?

Hell, I think my own list would be vastly different than that. It certainly wouldn't have any comedies or cartoon parodies on it.

MidnightMuse
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Time Tunnel was classic ! Invaders - I haven't thought about that show in so long . . . classic :)

RumpleTumbler
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
They ranked the X-files above Star Trek? The Matrix is number 1? :roll:

Those two picks alone render the rest of the list useless.

ChaosTitan
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I can't believe I forgot about Alien Nation! I adore that series.

SirBiatch
12-26-2008, 04:01 AM
I absolutely agree that Eternal Sunshine is on this list, and frankly, should be higher. The sheer ingenuity of that film can never be understated.

The Matrix is definitely one of the best sci fi films ever made, if not the best. I know some snobs think they're cool for liking stuff without machine guns and kung fu, but let's be real: The Matrix changed film, period. Almost a decade later and it's still on people's minds. George Bush dodges shoes, we think "whoa. Matrix."

I think the sequels get unfairly sh*tted on. Yeah they had flaws, but to date, they are the most imaginative films in a trilogy I've ever seen. If you disagree, I'd like you to come up with a counter-example. Lord of the Rings? naw. I had a great time watching Reloaded, and I find it amazing how people shit on that film yet claim to LOVE the first film. Reloaded is more action-adventure than sci fi whereas Matrix 1 had the perfect balance. Either way, Matrix was amazing because it redefined ACTION. So if you LOVE the first movie, and HATE the action in the second movie, I find that to be suspect.

Revolutions was still very entertaining, but definitely a drop off in quality compared to the first two. But then again, the Matrix was so imaginative that it was almost impossible to top the genius of the first film.

Zoombie
12-26-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm only to the 21st and I want to go out and re-watch some Doctor Who, Galaxy Quest, Futurama, and Quantum Leap.

Is it bad that I love saying, "You got vhat zo want Coohegan, give deese people AHIIIR!"?

Yes. I love Total Recall.

I love a lot of whats on this list.

I guess I suck...

Don
12-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Firefly is 15th? Starship Troopers, the worst parody of a great SF novel ever filmed, even made the list? No Close Encounters?

Only my respect for Mac and AW prevents me from unzipping and showing this list the respect it deserves.

ChaosTitan
12-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Well, my opinions haven't changed much in the year and a half since this thread was started. :D

childeroland
12-26-2008, 06:42 AM
The list is nonsense. Clone Wars, Heroes and Starship Troopers higher than Dr. Who. Really? At least they got BSG's placement mostly right (it probably should have topped Matrix).

Illicit drugs screw up your mind, and EW writers should stop using them.

SirBiatch
12-26-2008, 07:01 AM
^lmao. Yeah, a show nobody has really watched should top a worldwide cultural phenomenon that is still relevant.

but otherwise, you're on point. I don't know wtf Clone Wars, Heroes and Starship Troopers are even doing on that list. I've never watched Dr. Who, but I'm pretty sure it's a better and more influential show than f*cking Clone Wars and Heroes combined.

childeroland
12-26-2008, 08:17 AM
BSG doesn't get the numbers, but for quality of writing, acting, directing, I'd put it up against almost anything else. You may be right about the cultural relevance, but if popularity is the main criteria, why not put the Star Wars prequels on the list since each made more money than the Matrix?

Cyia
12-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Well I can't get the list to load anything but #25, but if The Matrix and Starship Troopers are high on it, then that's probably for the best. It saves me from sporking myself.

And Close Encounters of the Third Kind NOT making the list?!! Are you kidding me?

A lot of the shows you've mentioned are out of my age bracket, but I love Stargate and Firefly, so they'd get my vote. I actually got an episode of Time Tunnel for free on ITunes a while back and it wasn't bad for the time it was made.

Was Space Balls on the list at all? Not exactly hard core Sci-Fi, but more worthy of an audience than Lost In Space.

Zoombie
12-26-2008, 09:46 AM

<mumbles>

I like Starship Troopers...

Book AND movie!

childeroland
12-26-2008, 10:42 AM
No Space Balls. Also no Dark City. I know these lists shouldn't be taken seriously but I'd still like to point out they put in the Denise Richards sci fi flick but not Dark City.

Well I can't get the list to load anything but #25, but if The Matrix and Starship Troopers are high on it, then that's probably for the best. It saves me from sporking myself.

And Close Encounters of the Third Kind NOT making the list?!! Are you kidding me?

A lot of the shows you've mentioned are out of my age bracket, but I love Stargate and Firefly, so they'd get my vote. I actually got an episode of Time Tunnel for free on ITunes a while back and it wasn't bad for the time it was made.

Was Space Balls on the list at all? Not exactly hard core Sci-Fi, but more worthy of an audience than Lost In Space.

Lyra Jean
12-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Alien Nation was OK. I don't recall WotW though. And that list says V came out in the 80s. I could have sworn I saw that when I was in High School, which would have placed it in the 70s.

No mention of Invaders! either. Or Time Tunnel.

And as far as movies, what... no Them!?

Hell, I think my own list would be vastly different than that. It certainly wouldn't have any comedies or cartoon parodies on it.

I remember watching V on TV when I was a kid. It had to be in the eighties unless it was like a rerun or something like that.

Anyway to get the series on DVD now?

Lyra Jean
12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Close Encounters was made in 1977 and falls outside of their time frame which is why it isn't on there.

I didn't get why any of the Star Wars Prequels or anything related to it was mentioned at all.

I love Starship Troopers the book and movie. You are not alone Zoombie.

Zoombie
12-26-2008, 11:36 AM
The Prequels WERE mentioned ...

As being disappointing stinkers of horribleness.

Which is what they are. Sadly ._.

SPMiller
12-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm probably alone in feeling that Heinlein's work needs a good lampooning. I'll say the same about Tolkien if you ask me nicely. But I still wouldn't rate that Starship Troopers movie that highly.

The Thing needs to be bumped higher. The Matrix bumped lower. Lost bumped lower. Firefly bumped higher, Serenity dropped from list. Blah, I could go on, but might as well make my own list at that rate.

Chumplet
12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I guess Duck Dodgers missed the 25 year mark. A shame, really.

dgiharris
12-27-2008, 04:18 AM
*hangs head in shame...

How could I forget Space: Above and Beyond??? :e2paperba

The writing and acting on Space: Above and Beyond was incredible. It had a realness and depth to it that was a testement to what sci-fi could be. It proved that sci-fi isn'st just about cool techno-gadgets and aliens, but that it can be a vehicle to tell the best dramatic stories as well.

...[Starship Troopers] I think that was one of the worst movies ever made. was an insult to the novel by one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, Robert A. Heinlein. They completely missed the core of the story and replaced it with video-game bug-shootouts, turning a great story into a cartoon. Bleah.

...They've got some of it right. The Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek movie ever made and Blade Runner is a superb film.

Too bad Alien missed the 25 year cutoff. Definitely one of the best science fiction movies out there, imho.

ChunkyC. You are a wise man. Couldn't have said it better myself. If I had never read Starship Troopers, I would have thought it was an 'o.k.' B movie. But having read the book, the movie made me want strangle the screen writer.

Where is Stargate SG-1?! Ten years, and it gets no mention? I definitely think that Firefly/Serenity deserves a higher spot on the list too

And I'm not quite sure who was bribed in order to get Total Recall on that list...

Yeah, Stargate should have been on the list.

... I like Starship Troopers...Book AND movie!

I love Starship Troopers the book and movie. You are not alone Zoombie.

Men in white coats will be coming for you both shortly. Do not run. It will only make your re-education worse.

Yeah, overall, the list struck me as one put together by people who didn't really know or watch Sci-Fi. Personally, I think it is a mistake to mix movies and T.V. Series.

I'd have a list for each. Even though they do have a few 'how the f- did that make it on the list' choices, the list isn't too bad.

I do think that the Matrix is number 1. Looking at it objectively, it is a pretty kick ass sci-fi concept/film that was brilliantly executed. The entire trilogy is pretty good and complete (that is, if you followed the storylines --main and subs)

IN terms of some of the greatest sci-fi.

Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly are both two series that really should have had a longer life. It is a shame that we miss out on what they could have been.

Mel...

Rabe
12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Some items not on the list: Gattaca, Iron Giant, Abyss, Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, Jurassic Park, City of Lost Children, Dark City, Pitch Black, 28 Days Later, Minority Report...

For very good reasons. They suck goats.

I was able to get past Starship Troopers being on the list (satirical? Exactly what is Verhoeven satirizing other than himself?) but when they then follow that one up with Heroes - I'm sorry, the list just lost all credibility.

Despite making sure to put "V" on there, even if at twenty-five.

(at least they put on the original animated Clone Wars rather than the 3D abortion being crammed down the throats of our inner child)

The only saving grace could have come from recognizing the mad genius that is Farscape and putting it in the place that Star Wars should always occupy - number one.

Rabe...

jmascia
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Okay, here are mine.

Battlestar Galactica - the new series
Star Wars - Pretty Much any and All things and yes that does include the prequel trilogy
Stargate - The movie - the series... it's all good
Matrix - except for the last 10 minutes of the last movie where they just decide to kill everyone.
Terminator - (not including T3: Rise of the Machines) Include all movies and the TV series
Blade Runner - Come on, Harrison Ford kicking some Robot ass!
Star Trek - You cannot forget this. Yes, in recent years it has dropped off into obscurity and we have seen some bad stuff come out of it, but face it, Sci-Fi wouldn't be Sci-Fi without Star Trek.

James Mascia
www.islandofdren.com

MacStainless
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd have to agree with most of this list: BTTF, BSG, QL, and The Matrix are all worthy. Where's Sliders???

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
My list, in no particular order:

Battlestar Galactica (new)
Farscape
Firefly (plus the movie, with some reluctance)
Babylon 5
Star Trek (1st season TOS, TNG, DS9, movies #2, 4, 6 & 8)
Terminator (movies 1 & 2, Sarah Connor Chronicles)
Predator
Alien, Aliens
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Children of Men
Blade Runner
Gattaca
Demolition Man
The Abyss
Pitch Black
Dark City
Stargate SG1 (seasons 1-8)
Futurama
Venture Brothers
Galaxy Quest
Star Wars (the original three, mostly due to Empire Strikes Back)
Adventures of Brisco County Junior
Cowboy Beebop
Robocop (first one)
Back to the Future trilogy
Battle Royale
Flash Gordon (1980's movie)
Brazil
Dark Angel (first season)
Lexx (when drunk)
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Tremors (scifi monsters eating hicks -- what's not to love?)
Red Dwarf (in small doses)
Primer (the weirdo time travel flick)
The Rocketeer
Escape from New York
Twelve Monkeys
The Fifth Element
The Matrix (1st movie)
Tron (mostly for the nostalgia)
Repo Man
Enemy Mine
A Clockwork Orange

HeronW
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Call me old-fashioned but Peter Cushing was THE Dr Who.
V was fun, Jane Badler eating guinea pigs was so, um, tasteful? lol
Loved Starship Troopers--great special effects.
Firefly/Serenity--great characters
Alien 1-4--tops. Sigourney Weaver battles the beast inside and out

the matrix #1? Nah...aside from special effects and wooden acting by most everyone--not that Keanu Reeves can have any other expression, I never understood the hype for this tripe.

BMoon
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
My five favorite TV SF in no particular order.

Babylon 5
Farscape (yes, it took until page 3 of this thread before anyone even mentioned it)
Star Trek: DS9
Doctor Who
BSG

*note: I give BSG credit for its technical merits. Doesn't change the fact that I thought remaking it was a bad idea in the first place. Firefly didn't have enough of a run to count for me, and Buffy was more Fantasy/Horror than SF. Now, if the topic said Speculative Fiction, there'd be some changes! Venture Brothers probably should make my list too, but there's still not enough. Maybe after season 7... (hint, hint).

It's difficult for me to compare movies to a long running series. Movies have the advantage of being able to build on individual ideas, where series seem to need more (and varied) ideas to succeed.

SirOtter
01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Including Brazil almost made up for adding that abomination, Starship Troopers. Gah! Here's the thing about it --- you've got an enemy you know takes several hundred rounds to kill, flies and can lob fireballs into low orbit. So, what do the military geniuses do? Send unsupported infantry to a planet infested with bugs; no armor, no air support. Then they bunch up their spaceships so each fireball takes out a dozen ships and the rest run into each other, destroying the entire fleet. And for good measure, they make the same set of mistakes twice! It's been thirty some years since I read the book, but my recollection is that Heinlein understood some basics about military tactics. That whirring noise you hear is him spinning in his grave every time that stupid thing is shown. I've seen better film on teeth.