• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is it about TV?

Why is it so alluring? If we are home, and not sleeping, it is on. In the mornings, after my husband goes to work, and I am supposed to be writing, I am tempted to turn it on. Tempted isn't strong enough word. It is an addiciton. I long for it. WHY? And I like to fool myself into the whole "I can write with it on," idea. But when I turn it off, I get more writing done. When I lived alone, I noticed I would turn it on even if I was going into the kitchen to do dishes or something, instead of listening to music. And I Love music. What's up wtih that? I hypothosized that when I lived alone, and the TV was on in the other room, it was less lonely, like someone was there watching it.

I didn't have a TV for a while. I stopped telling people. I sounded stuck up. Snooty. Nose in the air I'm better than you kind of snooty. I am not. I suck. Either that or they thought I was too poor to afford one and offered me one of theirs. I was 20. I was unemployed, and depressed. My friend and neighbor would come over after his job to ask me how many resumes I had faxed that day. When he started finding me still in my pj's in bed watching a 10" black and white TV with no cable and bad reception he knew he had to intervene. He took my TV and put it in my closet and said I could have it back when I got a job. Well, I got a job, school started back, and I started dating someone. I was busy. The TV stayed in the closet. One weekend some of us had a combo yard sale. I came into my apartment mid sale to find something, and the TV caught my eye. "I'm going to sell my TV." I felt triumphant. BUt it wasn't me that originally removed it. I suck. I was without it for over a year. I finally bought one to use my work out video. Well, my video collected dust, but my TV was, yes, always on. WHY?

WHat is it about TV? DOes it placate us? Is it relaxing? Why is it that when it is not on, my brain nudges me to turn it on the same way it nudges me for more caffeine? Why is it that even though I know I'll get more done without it, I turn it on? Why do my husband and I eat with it on, even though we both say we shouldn't. Well, I say it and he just agrees. When we do turn it off, we talk to each other. I like him, he's good company.

There are shows we look forward to every week. That I get. But when nothing is on we look through the channel guide and 'settle' for something, you know, 'just to have it on.' or we find a DVD. WHY? We have over 300 music cd's and we have XM radio on the DirecTV.

It is just me and my husband. We have a TV in the living room, the kitchen and the bedroom. We had a 4th TV, but we gave it to charity. The TV's out number the people in our house. What's up with that?

Back when I was young and idealistic I announced to a friend of mine who had three kids that when I had kids, I was going to limit their TV viewing. You just wait, she said. she had intended to just have one TV, in the living room, in a cabinet with a door you could close. You couldn't just flip it on, you had to put in effort. Well, then her mother got her a TV for teh Kitchen, they got a new TV for the living room and moved the old one to their bedroom, and then her son got a job and bought one for his room. She figured he bought it with his own money, she couldn't tell him no. Then the other kid said, Well he has one, so she started babysitting and got her own. TVs everywhere, my friend said. But really. I don't even limit my own viewing, how do I expect to limit my (yet to exist) kids? I think my friend was right to knock me down a notch.

Somebody please just tell me why TV sucks us in so?

Reaction score
I only ever watch snooker, tennis, football or something specific like a documentary or a film. If there's nothing on that I want to watch, it goes off again.

I paid for the damn thing, so I decide when it's in use. And I only have one - in the living room.

If you need a television in the bedroom, there's something wrong with your relationship and as for having a TV in the kitchen or any other room - well, I'm amazed. There's nothing so important you can't afford to miss a few seconds or minutes of it to go do something else like cook a meal or use the bathroom without staring at the idiot-box.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stop the madness!

I own but 1 TV in my entire house, it's only on when there's something particular I want to watch - and with a TiVO and the satellite dish, I almost never watch "live" TV. I watch what I want at whatever time I wish to watch it.

During the day, especially if I'm trying to do other things, it's music that's on. Never the TV.

But it can be a problem - like crack. If I'm behind a minivan while driving and said minivan has a DVD player going, I stare at it. Reminds me of why I keep small silver metal balls in my coat pocket at work - when the guys are being annoying, I let one of those shiny balls go rolling and they're completely distracted by the shimmer and movement.

Don't end up in a Max Headroom episode - Turn It Off !

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have mine on a lot. My son likes the cartoons on Noggin, though he barely watches them, he just likes them on while he's playing.

I have lots of specific shows I watch...Lots of them. Way, way too many. But I do shut it off when there's nothing on I care to watch. Or many times I turn it to the music channels (not MTV or VH1, I mean the Sirrus Music Channels on satellite) when I'm just cleaning the house or writing.

Right now, the television is off and the radio is on. :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
We like specific shows (mostly home improvement, Jon Stewart, Ugly Betty & How Clean is Your House (oooh squicked-out gross!)) but we have a lot of stuff we do that doesn't involve TV, so it's not on all the time.

We have 2 TVs - just in case there's a disagreement in watching or someone needs quiet.

I can get sucked into watching if I am home alone and it becomes company for me.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
If you need a television in the bedroom, there's something wrong with your relationship

My parents have been married 38 years and they have a television in their bedroom. Ain't nothing wrong with their relationship.

and as for having a TV in the kitchen or any other room - well, I'm amazed. There's nothing so important you can't afford to miss a few seconds or minutes of it to go do something else like cook a meal or use the bathroom without staring at the idiot-box.

A lot of it's garbage but with the right programme, television can be as entertaining and involving as any other art form. Would you put down a book right in the middle of a cruicial moment to make a meal or go to the bathroom?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My parents have been married 38 years and they have a television in their bedroom. Ain't nothing wrong with their relationship.

A lot of it's garbage but with the right programme, television can be as entertaining and involving as any other art form. Would you put down a book right in the middle of a cruicial moment to make a meal or go to the bathroom?
Well, sometimes you HAVE to go to the bathroom. :D Though, come to think of it, I take mine with me. I have magazines in there too.

Mostly we use the TV in the bedroom on the weekend, say, if Mr. Groove is watching something with his buddy and I want to watch a chick flick. I also have it on when I am folding laundry in there or we want to see the weather becuase there might be a tornado and it is 1am. I mean who wants to tromp all the way to the living room at that time of night? Mental note, get a weather radio.

Reaction score

Oh I'm not denying some of it is entertaining, but I'm not one of those people who lets the tellybox rule their life (unless the snooker's on...). A book's easy to put down but at the same time it's more portable than a television so if it's that gripping, you can take it with you while you travel or whatever.

Of course my view is shaped by having a mother who chose television over conversation or paying 'real people' any attention at all so yes, I'm biased. But like I said, I rule the telly - it doesn't rule me. And I watch when it's convenient. If something I'd like to see is on at the wrong time, I tape it and watch it later. Just like one could read the next chapter of a book later.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I feel decadent having the TV in the kitchen. it is a little 9 inch. I got it when I lived in NYC in a shoe box bedroom. I wouldn't have bought one for the kitchen, but when I got married I brought my little TV with me. I mostly watch news in the morning while i make my husband's lunch and shows on food network and HGTV while hubby watches his geek shows while I am making dinner.

Oh, here's another funny thing about the TV I got in NY. When I first arrived in NY I stayed with a woman temporarily. WE got along famously, and even though her apartment was TINY, i was almost sorry it was temporary. She liked to read, and she liked watching movies. It was great. Well, when it came time to move, i asked my new roommate to be about the TV in the 'living' room. She said it belonged to the girl who was moving out. She said in that snooty way I mentioned earlier that she didn't watch TV. So, since she didn't watch TV, I bought my 9 incher for my bedroom. I told her and the other girl we lived with they were welcome to watch it when I wasn't home. I assumed I didn't have to specify 'in my room.' since that is where i set it up. Oh, it is a TV/VCR combo, btw. I came home one day to find my roommate watching my TV in teh living room. WHen she unplugged it, the show I had set to record didn't. I asked her nicely to please leave it in my room, and that she was welcome to watch it in there. She didn't watch it again. Nooo. Ok. I know I suck. I watch too much. BUt I rented movies and watch shows at night. Guess what. Miss snooty I am too good for you and I don't watch TV bought a TV. Oh. My. God. She watched absolute crap. Daytime melodrama. She had it on more than I had mine on.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm not denying some of it is entertaining, but I'm not one of those people who lets the tellybox rule their life (unless the snooker's on...). A book's easy to put down but at the same time it's more portable than a television so if it's that gripping, you can take it with you while you travel or whatever.

Of course my view is shaped by having a mother who chose television over conversation or paying 'real people' any attention at all so yes, I'm biased. But like I said, I rule the telly - it doesn't rule me. And I watch when it's convenient. If something I'd like to see is on at the wrong time, I tape it and watch it later. Just like one could read the next chapter of a book later.
Taping things can start to rule you, too. If you aren't careful. I started to feel that since I taped it, I had to watch it. When I lived alone, I often would go hang out with friends in the evenings, so I would record my shows. I got ridiculous. I couldn't remember what was on what tape or if I had watched X. So I made three tapes: Weekend, M-W, TH-Fri. If it got to the end of the tape and I hadn't watched it all, I just rewound it and started over. That way, I was in charge, not the VCR. Now we have a DVR and it is already half full. I have deleted some things I never watched and stopped setting some things to record becuase when will I watch them?

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
And I watch when it's convenient. If something I'd like to see is on at the wrong time, I tape it and watch it later. Just like one could read the next chapter of a book later.

So you're ruled by your VCR? :e2coffee:

ETA - Die, sass, die!

Reaction score
Maybe I have the opinions I do because I'm definitely more of a bookworm than a tellybox addict.

Love cinema, not much of a TV watcher though.

Each to their own, of course.

Reaction score
I'm not addicted damn you. I can give up AW any time I like. I know I could!

*starts to shake*

Must. Click. Refresh. Must. Click. Refresh.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in my vcr days I'd record a lot - then forget what was recorded before I had a chance to watch the tapes. I'd just tape over them - I figure if I can forget what it was I wanted to watch, then it wasn't worth watching in the first place.

Nevermind the fact that I happen to be running off to Best Buy after work today to pick up the 3rd and 4th seasons of Dinosaurs (i'm the baby, gotta love me) :D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If you need a television in the bedroom, there's something wrong with your relationship

I don't necessarily agree that something's wrong in the relationship -- some people do just fine with a TV in the bedroom. But in my house, I absolutely FORBID a television in the bedroom. The only time I allowed it is when I was on bedrest for a week, and if one of us were stuck in bed for longer than a day or so, I am totally okay with a TV in the room. But the rest of the time, it's just not needed.

For the time being, I don't even have a TV thanks to my cat yakking into it and frying it. It's been over a week, and truth be told, I don't really miss it.

Reaction score
Oh, I never tire of hearing the cat-yakking story. :D Tell it again, Auntie Lori - again!

Reaction score
thethinker42 has overstayed her welcome in the royalty thread said:
No you can't. You're too afraid of what -- and to whom -- I might post in your absence.

^^^True dat. It's not addiction, it's fear.

HEY! Shouldn't you be busy abdicating?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
meanwhile back at the topic....

I am still wondering what it is about a TV that is so alluring. Apparently it isn't for some of you. Do elaborate please.

Reaction score
I'm a control freak. Watching TV is too passive for me to do it for too long. I don't feel like I'm doing anything while I'm sat in front of it. It has to be something special to keep me sitting still for long. I think that's it, in my case anyway.