What Shall I Do ... ?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to know a few opinions as to what, if anything, I should do next about this.

I write rhyming text picture books and there are not many agents/publishers I can submit to.

A few weeks ago I got a rejection letter from an agent - but it was nice - really nice.

It was a typed personal response, that explained she really liked the ms, but went on to say that despite the pb market being 'depressed,' rhyming text suffered further because the UK (where I live) relies on overseas markets and the ability to translate. This can be difficult and expensive.

So, considering that I have very few places that I can sub to anyway, and the fact that she's told me the reasoning why she didn't take on the ms that I subbed to her - do I dare, ever, submit to her again?

I've thought about sending mss to her for her own 'entertainment,' but then again I figure she gets enough reading material.
But, she did say she really enoyed it and went into some specific detail.

I don't want to move from the 'persistent' category, into 'pest.'

I dunno what to do :cry:

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking that since this post has had twenty four hits and no responses that, a) none of you lot know what to do either, or b) you think I am bonkers.

Anyhow, I've just had another. This one was handwritten and kindly explains how this type of childrens stuff is really hard to sell unless you are an already established writer.

But ... But ... I'm too old to be a Spice Girl!!!!!

Even I can't figure out whether I'm being ironic or sarcastic.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I've thought about sending mss to her for her own 'entertainment,' but then again I figure she gets enough reading material.
But, she did say she really enoyed it and went into some specific detail./quote]

As someone who has recently suffered through an 0-50 post, I totally empathize.

However, I would definitely not send this agent another rhyming picture book.

Have you investigated the top rhyming picture books in the market and tried approaching the agents for them? At least then you'd know they'd had success in your genre. Or maybe you can go straight to the publishers.

Or else, as a last straw, you might try doing the book over without the rhymes.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Popmuze.

The letter that came back today is actually the agent of one of the top rhyming picture book writers. Thing is, I can totally sympathize with them. What they are saying does make sense: sound, rational, business sense.

But the frustration is doing me in.

I am trying the publishers as well, in fact I'm hoping for decent cards from them this Christmas;) but I only have 11 of those to go at. The rest have closed submissions to my kind of stuff.

I do try and write stories in the standard fashion, but somehow they don't sparkle in the same way - perhaps because my heart isn't in it?

Anyhow, you are quite right, I can't torment the agent with any more of my work - if there isn't a market for it, then there isn't and that's that.:flag:

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
Have you tried any non-UK agents? Say US or Australia or Canada? The English speaking world is very large... I've been having some trouble finding representation for my novel in the States, so I'm conidering submitting it to some British agents. I may be completely deluded, but I think it's possibly my particular style of humor and storytelling may have more appeal across the pond. Perhaps the same is true for you!

Otherwise, you might want to look into alternative publishing/marketing opportunities. I know most everyone will tell you that self-publication is the kiss of death. But keep in mind that Beatrix Potter was forced into that position, and it certainly worked out for her! Maybe you just need to prove to the big guys that yes, there *is* a market for your books.

Also, in answer to your actual question -- I would keep sending her stuff, if I were you. Sure, maybe you'll be a pest, but who cares? Worst case scenario, she keeps telling you no (or eventually stops replying). Best case? Maybe the market will change, or she'll have a change of heart. You'll never know if you don't try.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Now look ... just when I'd decided not to ...

I don't know what you write, Donut, but I sub children's stuff. When it comes to the UK market, agents are dependent on foreign sales to make it worth their while taking you on. So you have to make it generic, at least in terminology. But like I say, it depends on what you write. You may actually find it easier to get yourself a UK agent that can sell your novel to a UK publisher with a US sister company - getting in the back door so to speak.

I know that the only advantage a UK agent has to me is that they can get my work seen by the larger publishing houses who no longer accept unsol mss. From their perspective, there just isn't the financial incentive to take me on - I'm an unknown and therefore too much of a risk.
There isn't really a financial incentive for me to have an agent - the numbers in this particular game are just too small.

I think a print run for a picture book in the UK is 3,000. In the US, if you can hit the schools market with somebody like Scholastic, then you are looking at 75,000. It's a numbers game.

I have actually subbed recently to a couple of US publishers though. Simply because their UK counterparts won't accept unsol mss and they will! It all seems a bit daft.

I'd try the UK market if I were you though, like you say, you have nothing to lose (except money in stamps)

I know what you are saying about the self publishing route, but, but ...

Right, time to sit back and have another think.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Over the years, I"ve found agent are set in their ways. Nice is always a good sign - that probably means she sees potential in it - just not for her to handle. And besides you need an agent who believes in your project 100 percent . . . Sending "for your own entertainment" things - will come off as unproffesional. If you have another script that's not poetry - by all means send it to her. If she's nice - hey - who doesn't want a nice agent? Even a lot of agents I've spoken with that were interested were still a little cold.

This is my genre too. I've sold two poetry type picture books without an agent. Of course, an agent is invaluable to your sanity!! =) It's a lot of work to get a royality publisher alone - but I'm living proof it can be done. Try some agents in the US that take more kindly to poetry.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Just because she rejected one manuscript doesn't mean the door's shut for good on other manuscripts.

However, nothing should be sent to her "just for fun" because anything you send an agent should be a serious submission.

And you should be wary of sending anything else that also fits the profile of what she rejected before. For example, rhyming. You may be able to send it, but think hard, and choose something as unlike what you sent before as you can.

Plus, give any agent a rest of a few months before sending anything else. It makes them happier. You want them to be happy.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Brookie.
I think I am going to have to research the US market more instead of focusing on the UK.
I seem to spend the majority of my time churning through the Children's Handbook picking out agents and publishers who accept childrens stuff, and then when I go to their website, it's 'Closed to Subs.'

I've got to admit that I haven't got anything bad to say about any of the agents I've subbed to. Most know me by now (what happened to the blushing emoticon?) and I get some really nice rejections from them. But I've known from the start that there isn't really any money in it for them, so I didn't go into it with high hopes. I guess I just must have an optimistic streak in me somewhere!

I'm going to have to focus on publishers in future - but there are only eighteen of those that accept PB's and quite a few of those don't accept rhyming text.

Congratulations on your publications though! Are they anything I can seek out over here and have a peek at, or do you want to retain your anonymity?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Jamie, I think we must both have been posting at the same time.

To be quite honest, I think she was that enthusiastic it, it was just nice to feel that somebody (agent or otherwise) actually got enjoyment from reading it.

I felt a bit like, "Oh Gee, you enjoyed reading it, here have some more, I have lots ... indulge!"

I suppose if I think about it, I'm not bothered if she wanted to take me on or not, I was just happy that I'd made somebody else happy!

Now when I submit new stuff to other people I just feel as if I am missing her out. I think, "Oooh, I think she would like this one!"

Sad ain't it ...