PDA

View Full Version : How far do Atlanta's suburbs stretch?

Lee G.
05-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi-

I'm writing a story about a land speculator who works the periphery of Atlanta's suburbs. Can anyone tell me how far these suburbs stretch out from downtown (as the crow flies). For example, if I said he was buying land just beyond the last of Atlanta's bedroom communities, how far out would it be? 30 miles? 40? 50+?

Thanks,

Lee

Cath
05-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/) is your friend. I went to Atlanta, picked a likely looking town on the edge of the mass of city (in this case Buford) and did a "get directions" search. I got about 40 miles, but it depends which direction you go out of town.

Lee G.
05-04-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks, Cath. I found another town, Canton, which is the fastest growing town in Georgia. It's about fifty miles out as the crow flies. I'm wondering if some suburbs are even farther away.

OverTheHills&FarAway
05-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey, I live in Forsyth County, to the north of Atlanta. Canton is about as far north as you're gonna get in terms of suburbs. And up until recently, it wasn't even considered as such. But it's been the fastest growing county, along with my own, for several years. Atlanta news never used to even mention "Forsyth County." Something about extreme racism and Klan activity in the past. Bad seeds used to live here. But the northerners drove them all out and put up landing-strip subdivisions instead. We've got a CVS on every corner now!

(Wish I could help with the other directions, though. Go to ajc.com and look for the metro section. They should have a map of what's officially the Suburbs. Hope that helps!)

benbradley
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I live about 20 miles north of Canton (see my location) and I think I'm (finally! at least for now...) outside the suburbs. I'm about halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga(!). The rush hour in town is in the 3:00 to 4:00 timeframe after the high school lets out.

My most recent previous residence was in Snellville (which was also home of Diana Degarmo(?) who came in #2 on American Idol a few years ago - all the business signs said "Go Diana!" for several months), about 5 to 10 miles PAST Stone Mountain as you're going away from Atlanta, and it definitely grew from being "out in the country" to being a suburb in the last decade or two. I recall that both Gwinnet (immediately northwest of Atlanta) and Cobb (northeast) counties were two of the fastest growing counties in the US in the 1990's.

There's a place off I-85 North named Flowery Branch that's perhaps 50 miles north of Atlanta, it's probably considered the very edge of Metro Atlanta if not outside of it. It's certainly probable that several people who live there commute to Atlanta to work. As for recognizable entities, the Atlanta Falcons have their training camp located there. I'm sure some developer could find a few acres of trees to buy up, cut and sell the lumber and put up Ticky-Tacky houses There's been a lot of that going on around Atlanta for a lot of years. I think I'd vote for this for your speculator's target:

http://www.flowerybranchga.org/

ISTR there's a book that tells you everything you need to know about Atlanta, I think the author's name is Travis Tea...

Lee G.
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking I'll use 50 miles as a ballpark figure, based on Canton. I've heard of Flowery Branch because I'm a Falcons fan, but I never knew it was that far from the city.