• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Pangaea Ultima- serious brain food!

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea_Ultima
This is an article on Pangaea Ultima, the potential future supercontinent. Here's a little snippet from the article, for those too lazy to read through it all:
...The rock layers that contain the remains of ancient New York City, Boston and Washington will lie atop high mountain ranges.

At 250 million years in the future, the Atlantic and Indian oceans will have closed. North America will have already collided with Africa... South America will be wrapped around the southern tip of Africa, with Patagonia in contact with Indonesia, enclosing a remnant of the Indian Ocean (called the Indo-Atlantic Ocean)... the Pacific will have grown wider, encircling half the Earth.

For me, this was a real treat to read through. I love reading about the different stages of the Earth, so finding something containing the potential future of the world really excited me.

But, I was disappointed that I couldn't find anything on what the climate might be like. It's pretty much a given that if the world does, in fact, take the form of Pangaea Ultima, that much of the world will be a desert, marine life will take a gigantic step forward while terrestrial animals have a set back in evolution (the ones who don't adapt just die off).

What are your thoughts on the climate of the distant future? What do you think animal life will be like? Vegetation? Do you think we'll still be here? How extreme do you think the temperatures will get, and how intense do you think the storms will be? Any thought are welcome.