Would you have done this?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So last week I was having my new floors installed - the salesman told me three different times the installation would be one day. Turns out, the installers were scheduled for two days.

bla bla bla - some angry words - etc etc. We get to the point of me accepting what I cannot change, ie; them leaving for the day. They tell me I can simply leave a key. "They" being the husband/wife installation team I've only just met that morning.

Leave a key, they'll come in while I'm at work, finish up, and be done.

I said No Way. While this conversation is taking place, I'm on the phone with the company I purchased the flooring from and that guy is telling me I can just go ahead and leave a house key with the installers, and they'll come in while I'm at work and finish up.

I said No Way.

We worked it out so that my sister was able to take the morning off, and me the afternoon. But what has me still slightly befuddled is them asking me to leave a key to my house with two strangers!

Both the installers and the flooring company said people did that all the time - and they both made me feel like an untrusting idiot for not giving them a key. The flooring company dude even asked me why I was uncomfortable leaving a key. I told him I'm not that stupid.

It still bugs me, and I was wondering - would you have done it? Would you have left a key to your house in the hands of strangers, so that they could enter your home while no one else was there, do work, then leave?

(keep in mind, this isn't a situation of a landlord letting someone in to work on the property - it's my house!)

So . . . Would you?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't have left a key under any circumstances with two people I have just met that morning. You did the right thing, Muse, I would have reacted the same way.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well...I would say no...but I did let our floor installer in everyday for two weeks, and then leave for work. But he left his big heavey expensive equipment at our house for two weeks, so it was a mutual trust, I guess. But Mr. Groove and I had met with him prior to the first day of installation. And Lumber liquidators never told me to leave my key with a stranger. I think you did the right thing and should be a little incensed.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - first them even asking that took me by surprise - but then the attitude of "you're the only person who's ever refused" really irked me!

Sassypants, you're braver than I - no way would I have let the guy in, then left. But I know it all worked out for you (I've seen the floor pics :D )

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
As subcontractors, they have to put up a bond for instances like this when they go into business.

HOWEVER, even though I know this...I wouldn't have let two strangers have a key to my house either!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - first them even asking that took me by surprise - but then the attitude of "you're the only person who's ever refused" really irked me!

Sassypants, you're braver than I - no way would I have let the guy in, then left. But I know it all worked out for you (I've seen the floor pics :D )
I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but he was a sweet old man in his 60's. He seemed so harmless. And we had met with him before. Everything about him came across as professional and 'legit.' Plus, it took two weeks. I couldn't have taken that much time off work just to get the floors done. I asked Mr. Groove if we should worry. "Nah." BUt I did wonder if I would come home to an empty house with carpets intact.

ANd that attitude would irk me too!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure every countries got an equivalent of a series on telly here where they hide cameras to see what tradesmen really get up to in people's homes. That ended my trust. I'm not even gonna start to get into what follows their rummaging around in bedroom drawers etc. True! Caught on telly. Disgusting.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
No. And I would have certainly held them to their one-day promise or my lawyer would have made sure I got the B**ch Discount.

I deal with subs all the time - we are having major work done. I am very picky about bonds because I do leave them alone within my gates (but not in the house) while I am not there. DH comes home everyday for lunch, too, while I am at work.

We do not leave our housekey with strangers. That's an invitation to trouble. You did the right thing.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I never leave the keys to my home with anyone, even family members, let alone strangers.

The workers should have installed the flooring around your schedule anyway, not the other way around.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I won't even give my house key to friends, let alone strangers.

I suppose I just need better friends. Long story, but my house is not a free hotel for your guests.

Reaction score
When I'm away I give my spare keys to my dad. He's the only person I'd trust, apart from one female friend whom I'd trust with my life. They'd each pop in to make a bit of noise, open/close the curtains, make the place look occupied. Neither would go through my private stuff, that's how much I trust them.

No-one else, to that level.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
You did the right thing. Last month, Mr TheWicked scheduled a couple of guys to work on our basement, and while they were quite pleasant and probably honest, I felt better knowing that I was at home while they worked. You just don't leave a key with people you don't know.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not only do I not leave my key with workmen, but while they work I frequently pop in unannounced to see what they're doing. The only ones I let work alone are the plumbers and furnace repair guys who've been coming to my house for years (not just the same company but the same guy).

I don't know what I'd do in the event of a long install or repair, but giving my key to someone I just met, who may not be bonded, probably isn't it.

Maryn, distrusting

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I like to be contrary

I guess I'll be the odd one out, then. My initial reaction was "no" but then I realized that I had previously left keys with several different sets of cleaners who came in (and did a crappy job) while I was at work. So, I thought, if cleaners, why not floor installers?
Obviously you all feel differently but I can see how people would go ahead with leaving them a key. Not to say your refusal was unreasonable though, not by a long chalk.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
We had a housekeeper once, and we thought things were starting to disappear.

One day she was at home and I left the house just as she was leaving. Then just down the road I realised I'd forgotten something so I drove back. Weird... she's leaving our house for the second time. Later that day I thought "Hmmm, where's the twenty dollar note that was on the table?"

Anyway... my wife as usual was the one to confront the issue, and there was a lot of fallout 'cause this woman is "an upstanding Christian" etc. Even my sister in law thought my wife was deluded.

But then a few days later she, my wife's sister, saw the housekeeper's daughter walking up the street in... ta da ta da... my wife's unmistakeable rather unusual jeans.

The very thought of that bitch just makes me rabid.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Nobody gets a key.

(Unless I like you a lot.) ;)

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
When we had hardwood put in, my husband stayed home while the work was done. The company didn't seem to think that was outlandish at all.

It protects both parties. What if something happens and they need to leave in a hurry and lock themselves out? What if someone comes by and claims to be a friend or family member and wants access? What if the key breaks? Or the cat gets outside? There's so many things that can go innocently wrong.... I personally wouldn't want to be alone in someone else's house....

Michelle

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
So last week I was having my new floors installed - the salesman told me three different times the installation would be one day. Turns out, the installers were scheduled for two days.

bla bla bla - some angry words - etc etc. We get to the point of me accepting what I cannot change, ie; them leaving for the day. They tell me I can simply leave a key. "They" being the husband/wife installation team I've only just met that morning.

Leave a key, they'll come in while I'm at work, finish up, and be done.

I said No Way. While this conversation is taking place, I'm on the phone with the company I purchased the flooring from and that guy is telling me I can just go ahead and leave a house key with the installers, and they'll come in while I'm at work and finish up.

I said No Way.

We worked it out so that my sister was able to take the morning off, and me the afternoon. But what has me still slightly befuddled is them asking me to leave a key to my house with two strangers!

Both the installers and the flooring company said people did that all the time - and they both made me feel like an untrusting idiot for not giving them a key. The flooring company dude even asked me why I was uncomfortable leaving a key. I told him I'm not that stupid.

It still bugs me, and I was wondering - would you have done it? Would you have left a key to your house in the hands of strangers, so that they could enter your home while no one else was there, do work, then leave?

(keep in mind, this isn't a situation of a landlord letting someone in to work on the property - it's my house!)

So . . . Would you?

Given my current situation... I had the locks changed a little under a month ago, and my mother is the only person besides myself who holds a key. It will never be different than that.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't ever lock my house...so, I might have. But that's just me, I totally understand why most people would be uncomfortable.

Reaction score
Apparently Deek's willing to take a key next time I go away for the weekend. I'll come back to an empty house with cress growing on the carpet I bet. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'll hook up a Roomba with it and control it remotely so I don't have to actually go to Scotland to housesit for you.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I would... but only because there ain't nothing here worth stealing. :D