Chucky

Hazelnut

Registered
Reaction score
Chucky, formally known as Child's play; Innocent horror film or thrilling killer? I investage whether Chucky (rated 18) should be taken off the racks of stores or not.
Many years ago two eleven year old boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson watched Chucky for the first time, a matter of weeks later they were charged with the murder of young Jamie Bulger. The scary Chucky doll has inspired people to kill in the past. Who knows what could happen in the future?
After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims. These films had obviously gave them sick ideas which resulted in the killing of little Jamie but they also tortured him in ways that have also been connected to the film; such as the blue paint splashed in Jamie's face is also seen in a scene from Chucky where blue paint is covered across the doll's face.
Although the court never did prove that the boys watched Chucky it was obvious that it had effected them in a way.
The film is not for children's eyes and i believe it should be for nobody's eyes, but the film continues to sell more and more copys; infecting minds and turning dreams into nightmares. Do you agree? Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?

Hazelnut

Registered
Reaction score
So good! lol only joking i wouldn't really quote my own work please tell me what you think of it. i have very strong view's on it as you can see.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't know if I should laugh, cry or roll my eyes.

Movies don't kill people, and I don't like the idea of censorship. There are way worse movies on the shelves than Child's Play 1-4 (and I don't mean worse in quality, I mean in content and theme). But if parents can't monitor the movies their children watch, and if they don't take the time to make sure a child understands fact from fiction, then children will build unhealthy impressions.

Know what? I watched Child's Play when I was young. I've never killed anyone. I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street when I was six. Freddy Krueger and the Cryptkeeper were my heroes, all before the age of twelve. I turned out just fine. Because I knew the difference. I knew it was fantasy. The actors would get up after their big death scene and be okay.

You just can't blame movies for our actions. No more than you can blame violent rap lyrics or El Nino or a full moon. Okay, I take that back, you can blame them. But it's misplaced blame. People want a nice, neat explanation for the horrors and cruelty that we crazy humans inflict on each other. Rather than looking inward and asking how *we* failed, we blame a movie. Because it's easier. We'd rather pass the buck than take friggin' responsibility.

Banning Child's Play won't stop kids from killing each other. A dozen more movies will take its place, and then they'll take the blame. In ten years, it won't be movies anymore, it will be text messaging (or something equally inane).

Remember, fifty years ago rock and roll was thought to be the downfall of teenage morality.

[/steps off soapbox]

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Fact: The overwhelming majority of American serial killers have eaten pizza.

It's time to stop the madness.

How many more must die before we ban pizza forever?

Save the Children!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I would never ban a movie for being too violent. That said, we could still ban Chucky for being lame.

And I'd ban children who believe crap like that.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The Chucky movies are so retarded it isn't even funny.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The Chucky movies are so retarded it isn't even funny.

My point exactly.

Like the first time I saw a KORN video. I knew these deathmetal kids from back in the day who loved KORN. And they were all hardcore and shit and I saw the video, and laughed my ass off. What a bunch of ridiculousness.

THe things people take seriously....

OMG, Pokemon is on! Bye!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts...if you don't like it, don't watch... or don't buy...

Why aren't we censoring music with explicit lyrics?

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Why aren't we censoring music with explicit lyrics?

We are, if you mean broadcasted music. You can't even say the word 'gun' on many radio stations.

If you mean non-broadcast music, we aren't censoring it because free speech is protected in the constitution - which is the same reason that movies like "Child's Play" won't be banned, no matter how distasteful certain people find them.

The correlation between violent media and violence is anecdotal at best, and at worst, a sensationalized hoax. Millions of people saw "Child's Play." If it 'caused' murder, there'd be rivers of blood in the streets. It's ridiculous.

Certainly, kids shouldn't be seeing that kind of thing without their parents - as indicated by the 'R' rating it received.

Few things infuriate me as much as the idea that, because children exist, adults shouldn't be allowed to enjoy mature entertainment.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Remember, fifty years ago rock and roll was thought to be the downfall of teenage morality.
You do realize that most of those teenagers, almost immediately after hearing rock and roll, or at some later point in their lives, actually had sex? Society was right to condemn the Devil's music.

-Derek

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Hazelnut said:
After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims.

There's your problem.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
SEED OF CHUCKY was actually very good for what it was.

Jennifer Tilly's commentary on the DVD is quite entertaining. She is a smart, funny lady with a definite self-awareness about peoples perception of her and a healthy self-deprecating sense of humor.

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living lik
Website
www.trchelle.com
Do you agree? Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?
I've been semi-obsessed with Hellraiser movies since I was thirteen, but I haven't gone around torturing people with butcher hooks or booby-trapping Rubik's Cubes. And I've liked violent video games for about half my life now (starting with Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat), but I've never felt a compulsion to rip out anyone's spine.... Okay, maybe once or twice, but I didn't ACT on it. :tongue

The point is, people who do these things are pretty disturbed to begin with. If it wasn't the movie they watched, they would've found some other excuse.

~JM.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
It's that same old 'let's not leash the dog, let's fence the world' argument.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't want to sound patronising (although I'm about to), but I can't take this seriously as the OP sounds very young and the post is about as solid an argument as an editorial from the Daily Mail.

I vote for this being a joke, too.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
The OP is young, and a new member to the forum, so let's go easy please.

Although many would disagree with the OP's views, perhaps they do have some merit and can spark a useful discussion. And, if it is a school project, we may be able to provide useful comments for her to complete it and outshine the rest of her classmates.

A good question would be, how much does television and the movies affect, if at all, the youth of today?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe those kids mentioned above would have done something horrible whether they got the specifics from Chucky or the nightly news. All Chucky did was give them ideas on how to go about it. I'm a big proponent of "not feeding the beast", but believe that's the job of those who are entrusted with the care of the children; parents and teachers, etc. I don't believe a movie clearly intended for an adult audience should be banned because some moron let a kid watch it.

Any father who would let his child watch such a movie, either by deliberately showing it to them or leaving it where they could find it, needs to have his procreation license revoked.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
What's worth bearing in mind is there was no proof the children (as they were in 1993) saw the film. A few of the crappier UK papers - namely the Sun - took hold of a statement made by the judge that violent vids may have played a part. They then reported one of the fathers watched violent films and took it from there.

They did a similar thing a few years before that with Michael Ryan and Hungerford. Apparently, he was influenced by Rambo. Problem was there was no proof Ryan had seen any of the Rambo films.