PDA

View Full Version : Chucky

Hazelnut
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Chucky, formally known as Child's play; Innocent horror film or thrilling killer? I investage whether Chucky (rated 18) should be taken off the racks of stores or not.
Many years ago two eleven year old boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson watched Chucky for the first time, a matter of weeks later they were charged with the murder of young Jamie Bulger. The scary Chucky doll has inspired people to kill in the past. Who knows what could happen in the future?
After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims. These films had obviously gave them sick ideas which resulted in the killing of little Jamie but they also tortured him in ways that have also been connected to the film; such as the blue paint splashed in Jamie's face is also seen in a scene from Chucky where blue paint is covered across the doll's face.
Although the court never did prove that the boys watched Chucky it was obvious that it had effected them in a way.
The film is not for children's eyes and i believe it should be for nobody's eyes, but the film continues to sell more and more copys; infecting minds and turning dreams into nightmares. Do you agree? Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?

Hazelnut
05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
So good! lol only joking i wouldn't really quote my own work please tell me what you think of it. i have very strong view's on it as you can see.

Silver King
05-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Hazel, your views might get more feedback in the Movies and TV forum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149).

jvc
05-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Moved this to the movie forum.

ChaosTitan
05-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know if I should laugh, cry or roll my eyes.

Movies don't kill people, and I don't like the idea of censorship. There are way worse movies on the shelves than Child's Play 1-4 (and I don't mean worse in quality, I mean in content and theme). But if parents can't monitor the movies their children watch, and if they don't take the time to make sure a child understands fact from fiction, then children will build unhealthy impressions.

Know what? I watched Child's Play when I was young. I've never killed anyone. I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street when I was six. Freddy Krueger and the Cryptkeeper were my heroes, all before the age of twelve. I turned out just fine. Because I knew the difference. I knew it was fantasy. The actors would get up after their big death scene and be okay.

You just can't blame movies for our actions. No more than you can blame violent rap lyrics or El Nino or a full moon. Okay, I take that back, you can blame them. But it's misplaced blame. People want a nice, neat explanation for the horrors and cruelty that we crazy humans inflict on each other. Rather than looking inward and asking how *we* failed, we blame a movie. Because it's easier. We'd rather pass the buck than take friggin' responsibility.

Banning Child's Play won't stop kids from killing each other. A dozen more movies will take its place, and then they'll take the blame. In ten years, it won't be movies anymore, it will be text messaging (or something equally inane).

Remember, fifty years ago rock and roll was thought to be the downfall of teenage morality.

[/steps off soapbox]

BottomlessCup
05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Fact: The overwhelming majority of American serial killers have eaten pizza.

It's time to stop the madness.

How many more must die before we ban pizza forever?

Save the Children!

dclary
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I would never ban a movie for being too violent. That said, we could still ban Chucky for being lame.

And I'd ban children who believe crap like that.

Bartholomew
05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
The Chucky movies are so retarded it isn't even funny.

dclary
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
The Chucky movies are so retarded it isn't even funny.

My point exactly.

Like the first time I saw a KORN video. I knew these deathmetal kids from back in the day who loved KORN. And they were all hardcore and shit and I saw the video, and laughed my ass off. What a bunch of ridiculousness.

THe things people take seriously....

OMG, Pokemon is on! Bye!

Writer2011
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
My thoughts...if you don't like it, don't watch... or don't buy...

Why aren't we censoring music with explicit lyrics?

Backward Masking
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Fact: The overwhelming majority of American serial killers have eaten pizza.

It's time to stop the madness.

How many more must die before we ban pizza forever?

Save the Children!

Finally, someone who makes sense.

BottomlessCup
05-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Why aren't we censoring music with explicit lyrics?

We are, if you mean broadcasted music. You can't even say the word 'gun' on many radio stations.

If you mean non-broadcast music, we aren't censoring it because free speech is protected in the constitution - which is the same reason that movies like "Child's Play" won't be banned, no matter how distasteful certain people find them.

The correlation between violent media and violence is anecdotal at best, and at worst, a sensationalized hoax. Millions of people saw "Child's Play." If it 'caused' murder, there'd be rivers of blood in the streets. It's ridiculous.

Certainly, kids shouldn't be seeing that kind of thing without their parents - as indicated by the 'R' rating it received.

Few things infuriate me as much as the idea that, because children exist, adults shouldn't be allowed to enjoy mature entertainment.

Inkdaub
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?

More killed!

dpaterso
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Remember, fifty years ago rock and roll was thought to be the downfall of teenage morality.
You do realize that most of those teenagers, almost immediately after hearing rock and roll, or at some later point in their lives, actually had sex? Society was right to condemn the Devil's music.

-Derek

clockwork
05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims.

There's your problem.

tourdeforce
05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
SEED OF CHUCKY was actually very good for what it was.

Jennifer Tilly's commentary on the DVD is quite entertaining. She is a smart, funny lady with a definite self-awareness about peoples perception of her and a healthy self-deprecating sense of humor.

Just Me
05-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Do you agree? Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?
I've been semi-obsessed with Hellraiser movies since I was thirteen, but I haven't gone around torturing people with butcher hooks or booby-trapping Rubik's Cubes. And I've liked violent video games for about half my life now (starting with Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat), but I've never felt a compulsion to rip out anyone's spine.... Okay, maybe once or twice, but I didn't ACT on it. :tongue

The point is, people who do these things are pretty disturbed to begin with. If it wasn't the movie they watched, they would've found some other excuse.

~JM.

Novelust
05-04-2007, 05:55 PM
It's that same old 'let's not leash the dog, let's fence the world' argument.

seun
05-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Is this a joke or a complete load of crap?

Just Me
05-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Is this a joke or a complete load of crap?
To me, it sounds like a belated April Fools Day joke.

seun
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't want to sound patronising (although I'm about to), but I can't take this seriously as the OP sounds very young and the post is about as solid an argument as an editorial from the Daily Mail.

I vote for this being a joke, too.

clockwork
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I smell a school assignment the OP wanted to share.

jvc
05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
The OP is young, and a new member to the forum, so let's go easy please.

Although many would disagree with the OP's views, perhaps they do have some merit and can spark a useful discussion. And, if it is a school project, we may be able to provide useful comments for her to complete it and outshine the rest of her classmates.

A good question would be, how much does television and the movies affect, if at all, the youth of today?

ChunkyC
05-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I believe those kids mentioned above would have done something horrible whether they got the specifics from Chucky or the nightly news. All Chucky did was give them ideas on how to go about it. I'm a big proponent of "not feeding the beast", but believe that's the job of those who are entrusted with the care of the children; parents and teachers, etc. I don't believe a movie clearly intended for an adult audience should be banned because some moron let a kid watch it.

Any father who would let his child watch such a movie, either by deliberately showing it to them or leaving it where they could find it, needs to have his procreation license revoked.

seun
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
What's worth bearing in mind is there was no proof the children (as they were in 1993) saw the film. A few of the crappier UK papers - namely the Sun - took hold of a statement made by the judge that violent vids may have played a part. They then reported one of the fathers watched violent films and took it from there.

They did a similar thing a few years before that with Michael Ryan and Hungerford. Apparently, he was influenced by Rambo. Problem was there was no proof Ryan had seen any of the Rambo films.

jvc
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
With that said, Chunky, kids will try to watch these type of movies behind their parents back, unfortunately there is no stopping it. I know I did when I was a little nipper.

dclary
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
What's worth bearing in mind is there was no proof the children (as they were in 1993) saw the film. A few of the crappier UK papers - namely the Sun - took hold of a statement made by the judge that violent vids may have played a part. They then reported one of the fathers watched violent films and took it from there.

They did a similar thing a few years before that with Michael Ryan and Hungerford. Apparently, he was influenced by Rambo. Problem was there was no proof Ryan had seen any of the Rambo films.

Rambo only killed people who deserved killing.

dpaterso
05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Rambo only killed people who deserved killing.
Because he was a good American.

-Derek

dclary
05-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Damn straight.

Troublemaker! :p

dpaterso
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Pokemon lover!

-Derek

Celia Cyanide
05-04-2007, 10:55 PM
After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims. These films had obviously gave them sick ideas which resulted in the killing of little Jamie

I have read about the James Bulger case, and those boys had tried to kidnap and kill a child a long time before they were successful. This predated the rental of Childs Play 3, and effectively disproves your theory.

dclary
05-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Pokemon lover!

-Derek

You... You....

SCOT!

ChunkyC
05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
With that said, Chunky, kids will try to watch these type of movies behind their parents back, unfortunately there is no stopping it. I know I did when I was a little nipper.
Very true.

Egads. Irresponsible reporting only makes things worse, doesn't it? And underscores how important it is to get all the facts before passing judgement.

I have read about the James Bulger case, and those boys had tried to kidnap and kill a child a long time before they were successful. This predated the rental of Childs Play 3, and effectively disproves your theory.
There ya go. More evidence that banning such films would be a futile exercise.

mdin
05-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I liked Child's Play 1. Part 2 was okay, part 3 was terrible, and I'd probably want to kill someone after that also.

Bride of Chucky was pretty good, and Seed of Chucky was great.

Most of these must be seen in the theater with an unruly crowd, otherwise it's almost pointless.

RumpleTumbler
05-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Chucky was so silly. It was a comedy and had nothing to do with horror.

Hazelnut
05-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes it was a school project xD Hope you liked it i have strong views on this and thank you for all your feedback but can you tell me more about my quallity of writing please? As this is what i really wanted to know about. Thank you all.
xxx

Celia Cyanide
05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Egads. Irresponsible reporting only makes things worse, doesn't it? And underscores how important it is to get all the facts before passing judgement.

That seems to be what is happening now with the film Oldboy.

Hazelnut, was this an actual paper you wrote? What was the assignment? I can't give very adequate feedback, because I don't know what the objective was. I do know that you used some charged words and did not use facts to back up your opinion. Was this ported from Share Your Work?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Yes it was a school project xD Hope you liked it i have strong views on this and thank you for all your feedback but can you tell me more about my quallity of writing please? As this is what i really wanted to know about. Thank you all.
xxx

You need to invest some time in learning the rules of punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure. It's one thing to write 'casually' in a forum setting with run-on sentences and spelling errors - quite another to produce something for an assignment of any kind with the errors shown in your original post. To win the hearts and minds of the audience, you have to make it easy for them to read, understand, and consider. I did manage to get the message 'I don't like Chucky', but it was painful to do. If you hadn't begged in two separate places for me to read and comment, I wouldn't have done so. If your ultimate goal is to get readers voluntarily, you need to work on the mechanics.

Silver King
05-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Was this ported from Share Your Work?
Freelance.

Annie O
05-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Hello Hazelnut - I think you have made a jolly good stab at it but perhaps you should double-check for any grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes. Remember to use capital I when it's a personal pronoun and of course at the beginning of a sentence. Good luck with it. :)

AnneMarble
05-05-2007, 01:45 AM
That's what I've read. That the father rented the films. (Oh, goodness, an adult watched some horror movies, what is this world coming to? :rolleyes:) All they could prove was that the father saw the movies. Even if the boys had seen the movie, that doesn't prove a thing. Those monsters were not created by movies. They were created by a really screwed up family situation.

I saw the first Chucky movie. I barely remember it except that it was silly. (Come on, it's about a possessed doll that tries to kill people!) The highlight was Brad Dourif's voice. I don't remember if it was that violent and horrible. Much of its notoriety comes from badly reported (OK, outright untrue) news stories like the ones surrounding the incident. Those reports are no better than urban legends, and any reporter who wrote that garbage should be taken out and slapped or something.

Millions of people have seen the movie. Very very very few of them have killed anyone. And there is no way to prove that anyone killed as a result of seeing the movie. Killers aren't made overnight from watching movies. There are many other factors, such as horrible childhoods, mental diseases, drugs, alcohol, and of course, people just being evil jerks. The sad thing is that people rant about how horrible the Chucky movies are but they end up neglecting the real causes of violence. Maybe because it's easier to point fingers at a horror movie than to point fingers at abusive or neglectful families, drugs and alcohol, gangs, inadequate mental health care systems, etc. And it's easier to blame a horror movie than to admit that some people may just be evil jerks.

Uncarved
05-05-2007, 01:50 AM
I keep reminding myself that before my killing spree starts to rent a ton of horror flicks and put on some Ozzy Osbourne for a handy excuse.

dclary
05-05-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm somewhat convinced that the Leprechaun series of movies drove more people to violence than Chucky.

Crazy drunken midget Irishmen!

MidnightMuse
05-05-2007, 01:54 AM
I keep reminding myself that before my killing spree starts to rent a ton of horror flicks and put on some Ozzy Osbourne for a handy excuse.

Just once I'd like to read about someone pushed over the edge after an hour of Easy Listening.

Uncarved
05-05-2007, 01:55 AM
an hour of Yanni or Michael Bolton and this chicklet would be pushed over the edge, I guaran-damn-tee it.

ChunkyC
05-05-2007, 02:14 AM
That's why I don't take elevators. Too risky for everyone around me when I finally get out of the damn thing. ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-05-2007, 02:19 AM
I hear that, CC. One more 'Girl from Ipanema' and I'm no longer responsible for what I do.

ChunkyC
05-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Great. Now I have to drill a hole in my head to let that song out. ;)

What gets me is how the muzak peeps think they need to elevatorize a song that's already about as elevator as it can get. I mean, do you really need to muzak Muskrat Love?

dclary
05-05-2007, 02:42 AM
I love the girl from Ipanama. I drink Dasani because of it.

stormie
05-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Hazelnut,
As some others have said, if your grammar and spelling are very good, people (adults, teachers) will take your thoughts seriously.

Polish it. Read it out loud. You'll probably feel where the periods belong. Go over each word's spelling. Use an online dictionary, if you don't have one.

dpaterso
05-05-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm somewhat convinced that the Leprechaun series of movies drove more people to violence than Chucky.
Crazy drunken midget Irishmen!
More importantly, young Jennifer Aniston scored 11 out of 10 on the cute-o-meter and 5 stars on the spunky heroine rating system.

-Derek

Celia Cyanide
05-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Okay, I will give you my opinion, as is, although I'm not sure what you were going for...

Chucky, formally known as Child's play; ?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Chucky is the character. Child's Play is the film. Neither the film, nor the character name has changed.

After Jon Venable's father, Neil Venable rented out the gruesome Childsplay 3 on video on January 18th 1993 the boys Robert and Jon were inspired by the evil doll which takes pleasure from slaughtering his victims.

You stated later on that there was no evidence that the boys watched the movie. Yet you state that the doll inspired the boys to commit the crime, as if it were a fact, when it hasn't been proven.

Also, I mentioned above that these boys tried to kidnap a child to kill him and were unsuccessful. I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but it was more than a matter of weeks, which would have placed it before the rental of Child's Play 3.

These films had obviously gave them sick ideas which resulted in the killing of little Jamie but they also tortured him in ways that have also been connected to the film; such as the blue paint splashed in Jamie's face is also seen in a scene from Chucky where blue paint is covered across the doll's face.

You say "tortured him in ways that have also been connected to the film" as if there is more than one. But then you only give the example of one. If there is more than one way that the torture was connected to the film, you should state what they are. It sounds like you are saying, "ways such as [example]" to make it sound like there are many examples, when there is only one.

Although the court never did prove that the boys watched Chucky it was obvious that it had effected them in a way.?

If the court never did prove it, that it's hardly "obvious."

The film is not for children's eyes and i believe it should be for nobody's eyes,

Why do you believe this? Even if the boys had watched this film, and we don't know if they did, they were young children. Do you have any reason to believe that adults would be affected by a film the same way children would?

but the film continues to sell more and more copys;

Now, I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "the film." Do you mean Child's Play 3, the film the boy's father rented? Or the entire series? Because everything else in this piece is about Child's Play 3, exclusively. I'm not sure how true this claim is that "the film continues to sell more and more copies." I'm a pretty big follower of horror, and last time I checked, Child's Play 3 wasn't burning up the charts.

infecting minds and turning dreams into nightmares.

Where do you get that the film is "infecting minds"? I understand that you believe that the boys watched the film, and that is why they killed James Bulger. But do you have any other reason to believe that the film is doing the same thing to others who watch it?

Would you prefer the world to be without one stupid film or see more killed?

Faulty logic. You are asking this question as if we have to choose between one or the other. And you are framing it so that anyone who does not want a world-wide banning of a film, stupid or not, wants to "see more killed."

All in all, I don't see the case you are making against this film, over any other film which portrays torture and death. Is it because of the paint in the James Bulger case? Is it because Chucky is a doll?

I hope this helps.

scarletpeaches
05-05-2007, 03:06 AM
How do you explain people who've watched that film and NOT gone out to kill?

Films don't make people kill - they might put ideas for method into the mind of someone who's predisposed to commit murder - but they do not make you kill.

Nolita
05-05-2007, 05:02 AM
There's no need to argue. Just read this Albert Fish (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/fish/index.html)

He didn't see a single Chucky movie, I doubt he ever saw any movies.

Here's another Ed Gein (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html)

While movies have been based on old Ed Gein, well, he wasn't based on any movies.

There, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

rubarbb
05-05-2007, 06:39 AM
C E N S O R S H I P !

SpookyWriter
05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
How do you explain people who've watched that film and NOT gone out to kill?Mormans?

VeggieChick
05-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I grew up watching horror movies (my parents allowed it). I still have a certain fascination for bloody movies like Saw and Hostel, and I certainly don't have a problem with violence in film. BUT I've never killed anyone and I'm even a vegetarian for moral reasons. Films are fantasy. People who don't get this have problems way beyond the scope of Hollywood.

Nolita
05-05-2007, 09:34 PM
There's no need to argue. Just read this Albert Fish (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/fish/index.html)

He didn't see a single Chucky movie, I doubt he ever saw any movies.

Here's another Ed Gein (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html)

While movies have been based on old Ed Gein, well, he wasn't based on any movies.

There, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Click the links. Read the articles. Both of these very real killers, commited some of the most gruesome acts ever. They did these things before Hollywood started making slasher flicks.

Then there's Jack the Ripper, turn of the century London. Ring a bell?

It seems these acts and more, commited prior to Hollywood, and/or without the alleged help of Hollywood, set precedence. No it doesn't seem. They did set precedence.

Hazelnut failing to do their research? It's not groundbreaking, now is it?

III
05-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Click the links. Read the articles. Both of these very real killers, commited some of the most gruesome acts ever. They did these things before Hollywood started making slasher flicks.

Then there's Jack the Ripper, turn of the century London. Ring a bell?

It seems these acts and more, commited prior to Hollywood, and/or without the alleged help of Hollywood, set precedence. No it doesn't seem. They did set precedence.

Hazelnut failing to do their research? It's not groundbreaking, now is it?

As usual, you missed the point Nolita. It's not about people killing people, it's about dolls killing people. Of course people killed other people before there were movies. Nobody disputes that. The issue is that dolls are influenced by the Chucky movies and are killing people. Show me one example of a doll killing someone before the Chucky movies and I'll come over to your side, but until then no dice. And no, I didn't bother to read the thread before posting. I'm just shooting from the hip.

Nolita
05-06-2007, 06:25 AM
:roll: :ROFL: :roll:

Haha!

Hey wait, does the cabbage patch kid that attacked that one little girl count?

Perks
05-06-2007, 06:32 AM
I don't understand the dismissal of Child's Play as a horror film. Personally, I thought it was great. Camp. Ridiculous. But still genuinely funny and frightening.

Now, by Chucky III all bets were off. There is such a thing as wringing a notion dry.

As far as it inspiring murder? I never know what to say about these things. It's very hard for me to imagine a film or a book or a song pushing someone somewhere they didn't want to go.

III
05-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Now, by Chucky III all bets were off.

Was that an insult directed at me based on my username? And after the nice thing I said about your hair? H.A.B. - mark my words. H.A.B.

III
05-06-2007, 07:21 AM
:roll: :ROFL: :roll:

Haha!

Hey wait, does the cabbage patch kid that attacked that one little girl count?

No. Cabbage Patch Kids had real human midgets inside of them. They killed people all the time.

SpookyWriter
05-06-2007, 07:23 AM
No. Cabbage Patch Kids had real human midgets inside of them. They killed people all the time.I heard they were supposed to just make notes and report back to the FBI. I guess that experiment went wacko, huh?

III
05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I heard they were supposed to just make notes and report back to the FBI. I guess that experiment went wacko, huh?

Didn't you see the movie The Good Shepherd? That's what it was all about (probably).

Mac H.
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Show me one example of a doll killing someone before the Chucky movies and I'll come over to your side, but until then no dice. Hah!

A Twilight Episode - "The Living Doll".
I'm sure it dates from at least the Victorian era.

Mac

Perks
05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Was that an insult directed at me based on my username? And after the nice thing I said about your hair? H.A.B. - mark my words. H.A.B.
Lol! You're right - it was Child's Play 3 - not III - my fault! No, you've ingratiated yourself quite well with H.A.B. I'm terrified I'm gonna let that slip at a Girl Scout meeting or something...

ChaosTitan
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Show me one example of a doll killing someone before the Chucky movies and I'll come over to your side, but until then no dice. And no, I didn't bother to read the thread before posting. I'm just shooting from the hip.

Black Devil Doll From Hell (1884) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193013/)

The Devil's Gift (1984) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218937/)

Dolls (1987) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092906/)

Child's Play (1988) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094862/)

Puppet Master (1989) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098143/)

Demonic Toys (1992) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104083/)

How's it look on this side? :D

AnneMarble
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
...Show me one example of a doll killing someone before the Chucky movies and I'll come over to your side, but until then no dice. And no, I didn't bother to read the thread before posting. I'm just shooting from the hip.
Hah! The Devil Doll (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027521/) (1936) -- a movie so old it starred Lionel Barrymore (yes, old man Potter!) and was written by the author Werewolf of Paris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Werewolf_of_Paris)!
Barrymore's character was quite sweet in this movie. Except for the obsession with revenge and the fact that he made killer dolls. Well nobody's perfect.

Technically the dolls were shrunken people, so they may not count. Just in case... :D The classic horror anthology Dead of Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037635/) (1946) included a killer ventriloquist dummy.

My examples are older than everybody else's! My examples are older than everybody else's! (Not counting the film from 1884 in chaostitan's post. ;)
:e2tongue:

Hey, where did Hazelnut go?
:Shrug:

Come back, Hazelnut! Come back!
:cry:

ChunkyC
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Those who think movies cause people to go out and kill are the same ones who thought Led Zeppelin albums would do the same because they had satanic messages embedded in them you could only hear if you played them backwards.

They don't. ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah? What about 'Paul is dead'? Huh? Huh?

Perks
05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Show me one example of a doll killing someone before the Chucky movies
What about that funky little tribal doll that menaced Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror? Now, technically, he doesn't kill her, but he sure gets his revenge for her having removed his litte juju necklace.

brokenfingers
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't know, people. I wouldn't be so quick to discount this theory.

I watched Chucky and, yes, while it did not make me go out and kill somebody - it did cause me to destroy my VCR.

So, you never know...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Y'know... someone pointed out the irony of this thread coupled with the Dammit Dolls in the auction... :D

III
05-07-2007, 02:51 AM
People, seriously, pay attention. Yes there were other movies about dolls killing people, but I'm talking about real dolls killing people after watching those movies. Obviously those other movies weren't as influential because nobody posted a thread about them on any writers' forums. All you've managed to do is give me nightmares tonight.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Kinda makes one nervous about how many Barbies and Kens there are in the world, doesn't it?