Who wants someone to write about prostitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackgrass

I have searched the web for eons looking for a market for writers about prostitution or the life attached to such a profession. To no avail. Is there anyone out there who is interested in contacting me for such a mission?
Amazing, when you consider that sex and prostitution has such a profound effect on peoples ideas or beliefs. I hope that someone out there will see the market for such inside information about real life. Especially at a time when the laws in UK are being amended around the life's of prostitutes.
Does this mean that most people are just interested in cooking, gardening, DIY or such like? Where are all the meaty subjects that life offers?

Maryn

Experts Abound

I'm guessing that those authors who want to write about prostitution can find experts wherever they happen to live. There are so many men and women in the business that getting inside information isn't terribly difficult. And there's also the very real possibility that fiction writers don't need to research at all, just invent something plausible.

Best book about prostitution I've read was "The Crimson Petal and the White."

aka eraser

I've certainly read a lot of articles about, and interviews with, prostitutes in mainstream and alternative media. If well-written and interesting I think there are a lot of potential markets. Your slant, language and degree and amount of graphic content will help determine whether to aim at mainstream or alternative pubs.

sfsassenach

Especially at a time when the laws in UK are being amended around the life's of prostitutes.

Maybe because you have typos in your queries?

veingloree

Prostitution gives a context, but what is the story? It would be very different depending on country, angle etc.

Blackgrass

I am not sure, but there seems to be an assumption that I meant writing about the erotica content of prostitution. No, no! There are enough out there doing that kind of expression. What I want to write about is a deeper subject and the thoughts behind the surface of the image of sex work. Which is I feel more inspiring and empowering to those who face ridicule and hatred on a daily basis. Its more about who we as prostitutes are, what role besides the obvious that we fulfill in society. Where our spirituality lies, beyond religion and the usual structures like that. What we truly know within our souls which can make us safer in a dangerous occupation. Who do we turn to when the problem is vague and not about sexual health or violence, or any other obvious and already catered for problems. Its that vague feeling of never realizing your own depths because you constantly are pandering to others, either at work or at home. Now do you get what I mean? I hate using the word spiritual, because of the limited ideals, but yes, spiritual! Power of this side of you, is not only liberating, but gives you a sense of purpose of reason, when all about you can tell you otherwise. I know there are alternative ideals, but these seem to cater for the pagan mind. Where in prostitution, the spirit has to be a bit more flexible.

veingloree

The assumption may be because you are in the *erotica* forum. as far as non-fiction about prositution I have read a far bit including some interesting books about historical courtesans (that one was a best-seller).

Especially at a time when the laws in UK are being amended [in a way that will profoundly affect] the [lives] of prostitutes.

--the sentence makes little grammatical sense and had one clear homonym.

there are plenty of potential markets for that kind of work. Although most pagan markets are a little too liberal neo-pagan to cover prostition in a neutral or positive way.

aka eraser

By the way sfsassenach, excuse my ignorance, but whats typos?

"Typos" is shorthand for typographical errors; spelling, grammar or syntax errors.

Betty W01

I moved this thread here, because it originally started out in markets, and those boards are meant for people who are posting to hire writers and available openings, not a venue to offer your writing about something, in case someone wants it. That's more announcements and self-pormotion (and I think I copied it there, too).

I have no thoughts myself on where you might find a market for writing about this, beyond the obvious men's "adult" magazines, where they'd probably love to be told that prostitutes love their lives, enjoy what they do, and are spiritual beings acting out their spirituakl beliefs, since that would make many of them feel better about looking for and paying for something they know is illegal and wrong.

Prostitution is way out of my knowledge base / experience/ belief system / etc., but as anyone who knows me will guess, it isn't something I support in any way. It breaks my heart that anyone can really believe that prostitution is a positive spiritual lifestyle. I may be the only person in the world who cried when she watched Pretty Woman. I kept thinking about all the susceptible young girls in troubled situations who were watching it, hoping life really works out like that, and deciding that hooking was the answer to their problems and a way to find love. However, that is not something to get into here.

In fact, I deleted one thread in here a while ago that was basically a series of long glowing accounts of the life of prostitution interlaced with diatribes against anyone who didn't agree and discussions of laws applying to the lifestyle, with no real connection to writing or the writing life. I'll do so again if another develops. As we've discussed before in other threads, the AW boards are privately owned and free speech rules only apply to the degree the mods allow them to. Fair warning. And feel free to complain to Jenna, if you want. A mod's job is to do what seems appropriate to help these boards run smoothly, but she's the owner and last word.

Meanwhile, you are certainly free to go elsewhere to discuss the joys of being a prostitute and I'm sure, cyberspace being what it is, there are many other places you can go to defend prostitution or proselytize for it. This board system is for writers, who come here to become better writers, network with other writers, and find jobs in which they can use their skills to make a living or express themselves.

rtilryarms

prostitution

The problem with writing about real prostitution is that it spoils the erotic illusion surrounding the glamour side of the trade.
When people hear or think about this they can only comprehend it as to the recievers POV. The life of a prostitute is a sad one especially when they become hopelessly addicted to cheap street drugs. And they all do. Without the addiction there are no street walkers because there would be no desire.
Prostitutes are outcasts from all social circles. Even the pimps who benefit the most from them beat them and enslave them with their evil concoctions one of which is emotional abuse. But the women, men and children (prostitution is not mono-gender) cannot escape because there is no special interest groups for them.
The problem with writing about it is that there is no interest in non-glamour. To make it interesting, you would have to fictionalize it. Otherwise it would be the same short story one after another after another..
Hope you find a market.

rt

sugarmuffin

Re: prostitution

Blackgrass,

I can't remember the name of the book, unfortunately, but there was one written in the last several years by a prostitute about, well, life behind the scenes, I guess you could say. Also, if you subscribe to salon.com, a fairly intellectual and interesting ezine, there is a sex section, which (obviously) has sex-related topics, but is not sleazy. You might try to email the editor of that section, who might be able to help you.

The thing is though, doing the research is fine, but you really should write a few chapters, to see if writing is something you really want to do. I don't get the impression that you have. Otherwise, you are living in your imagination and spinning your wheels (like we all do in one way or another). Write, and write the truth, not what you think the world wants to hear -- no pseudo-glam stuff, no "the-power-of @#%$" bullshit, but the truth of your life as a prostitute -- events that brought you to your occupation, what it's like on a daily basis, how you work the economics, what you are thinking about doing when you are older and can't do this anymore, if you have children how you explain this to them, how you feel about where you are in your life, how your family reacts to your occupation, or why they don't know...write the truth. And don't give me the pagan crap, unless it's real.

Perhaps you could even write an article for a magazine that teen girls read - geared toward girls heading down a sad path - to help them chart a new course.

sugarmuffin

HeathenPrince

prostitution isn't exactly a hidden topic. the people that care to know all the inside details already do, and those that don't care to know, never will. unless some celebrity gets dragged down, most people kind of yawn at the subject.

absolutewrite

FYI, I don't see anything wrong with this topic (and it's perfectly related to writing). Love you, Betty. Now get out of the Erotica forum. :grin I can feel your heart racing and blood boiling.

Blackgrass

What a response to merely asking a question regarding where to write about prostitution! People who have no thoughts, nor experience, seem to have a lot to say on the subject. Opinions based therefore on ignorance and assumptions. I did not intend to open a debate on the subject, merely needed some help as to direction. Prostitution as a spiritual lifestyle has as much right to exist as any other lifestyle! All relationships, especially sexual ones are based on need. We all whore a different parts of ourselves. Sex is secondary to the nurturing, intellect, articulation and companionship. Most sex workers with the exception of those practising survival sex and supporting a drug habit, are `not` exploited victims. That assumption always comes from those outside of the industry. Wgere sex is concerned. men, not women, are at the mercy of an emotion they cannot control. To understand where the wisdom of prostitution and our own sexuality sits, we need to understand history and art at its very roots. Until we do, we are guilty are sitting in judgement and ignorance. Whilst we do, women, men and children, continue to be abused and in some cases, murdered. It is this very attitude that takes away the lives and endangers prostitution. We need to look at the subject on a differnt and deeper level in order to renew our concepts of the oldest profession. In an age where serious sexual offending is on the increase, and we still fail to find a satisfactory answer. Prostitutes are sex experts and sex healers. Yet we fail to see the value of what they have to offer, when it is under our noses. To understand the value they give to society, is to lift their status. Thereby acknowledging their worth. A priceless lesson for humanity to learn is theres for the taking. The prostitute is the guardian of a certain kind of passion, a passion that needs balancing in a world full of ego and power. It would open a bnew path forward, a way of reconnecting with our own bodies, a way to be reborn.
I have said what I am prepared to say on this subject, and nothing more. This is not the place to discuss the pro`s and cons of the sex industry. I came on this site, in query to a statement advertised on the web, regarding `writers wanted`. Nothing more, nothing less! I merely wondered if anyone would know of a possible opening to write about `the truths` of prostitution. Not the erotic content, not the morals, but the deep knowledge of `The Game`. I hope this ends the usual niavity that comes when discussing a serious subject like prostitution.:heart

sugarmuffin

So start writing about the "truths" and submitting.
Check out salon.com. You might be able to get a trial subscription. There is an interesting "diary" series by a prostitute in NY. Not what I would call spiritual, but interesting.

Good luck,

sugarmuffin

Blackgrass

Thank you suger muffin for that advice. I will look into that one. I know that they have published Camille Paglia`s work, and she is a woman worth reading or listening too. Much blessings for your kind words.:thumbs

Stephanie

Why not an e-book? If you really want to explore the topic, it might be lengthy for an article -- a title with the words "prostitution" and "sex" will be a best-seller. If you've got a website, you're half-way finished your marketing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.