It's Not the Size of the Dog in the Fight...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greater love hath no man - or dog - than that he lay down his life for his friends.

No dogs in heaven? Don't you believe it.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Weeee... this is close to home. I live in Taranaki, though my main memories of Manaia is when we did round-the-mountain pub crawls. A pint at each pub. I think that could be the same dog that saved me from the locals once. Bless his heart!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
So the pit bulls owner knew about previous attacks and did nothing? Terrible. Good going George. You're up for the hero of the year award.
Gay said the pitbulls' owner had surrendered the pair to dog control officers, and demanded they be destroyed, claiming they had launched unprovoked attacks previously.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Well, per the end of that article, all you have to do first is neuter them -- and maybe he'd done that already. Maybe that just pissed them off.

It would me.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just make sure you get there y'self, missy!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I have just seen a news item on TV about this (it's now changed to discussion with animal psychologists etc. about cause of aggression etc.) Poor old owner was fighting back tears understandably. Interestingly, he has had phone calls of support from around the world including NY, Australia, all over the place.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
In my observations, little dogs often make up for size with bad a$$ attitude.

Well done little guy, thank you for saving the children. There are extra special treats for you in heaven!

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Yeah George is a good dog. Terriers are like that...extremely protective and totally size blind. I have a terrier and he...Dashiell is his name...has no fear whatsoever. I'm not sure he would take on two pits but hopefully it won't be put to the test.

A few years ago a big dog ran out after my niece and her little terrier, Squirt, took it on to protect her. Luckily a man driving by stopped his car and jumped out and rescued Squirt from this big dog. Squirt was injured but made a full recovery.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
You gotta love the little guy, he's sitting on the big man's lap in Nirvana right now.

So, in respect for George, I won't get on my soapbox right now.

Love ya, little dude.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go little George! Terriers are mighty little dogs whose hearts are so much bigger than their bodies.

I'd love to see a worldwide ban of pitbulls. Just how many kids have to have their faces ripped off so the owners can stroke their own dicks over owning a vicious dog?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this story a few days ago on CNN.com and it just breaks my heart. But yes, George is a true hero and is getting tummy rubs from angels.

And yes, it's true - Pitbulls are not bad dogs; they just usually have bad owners. It's all in how they're raised. It hurts my heart to see dogs -- any dogs -- hurt or killed.

Redd Ryden

I'm the Head-ParrotHead!
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the party???-- I got the KEY to the cage--
I saw the article about George, yesterday.

It was a fairly bad day for me... taking care of my Mom, getting her through out-patient surgery. [You see, she's an increasingly irritating woman. Sweet as can be-- to the world-- but a source of TOTAL irritation to her family-- she's really hard to deal with] I'd been feeling sooo guilty about my resentments about her, my resentment for my brother's absence when needed, and my growing anger at being the "parent" for a 78 year old for over 35 years. I was questioning my "humanity" because of it. After a few bad years (healthwise), I've grown very weary in simply "caring". I'd become numb.

And then I read about George. My tears won't stop-- though, lately, nothing much makes me cry.

This little guy was much, much more than "a good dog". He was a totally selfless, completely beautiful soul. He had more "humanity" and "compassion" in his little paw than I'll ever be able to "gather up" again. George was truly a blessed creature, and if he's not given his just reward-- then life... and death... are meaningless.

George? You are a Righteous Warrior-- May you run through eternal fields of sweet clover.

:LilLove:Bless you, puppy:LilLove:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It was terrier vs. terriers, and no surprise there. Terriers are known for their tenacity.

And I'd really hate to see a ban on pitbulls, seeing as ours is the best one of three dogs with our daughter. He plays wonderfully with her, supervised as all three dogs are with her.

In fact I've met many that have never been aggressive towards humans. Towards animals is common for the breed, but there are plenty that are good with people. Because they can do a lot of damage, they make headlines, when properly trained and supervised those dogs would never have been in that situation in most cases. There are always bad apples, but they shouldn't spoil the barrel.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The problem is, there honestly hasn't been enough done to breed out the aggressiveness that was bred into them.

Bulldogs used to do the same thing pitbulls did -- but breeders selectively bred the breed back down for family-safe little dogs, and you almost never hear about a bad-seed bulldog.

At this point in their breeding, the docile pitbull is the anomaly, not the other way around. Licensed breeders need to work to fix this, and all other pitbulls need to be neutered, spayed, and/or fitted with IUD's.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
It's the same for any breed of dog. Bad owners make bad pets which unfortunately makes headlines. Wolfdogs, rottweilers, et all get bad reps because they're fierce or "wild" looking, and if a tradgety happens involving those breeds it gets a lot of media attention. Worst dog attack I've ever heard of actually came from a golden retriever (gasp! but they're friendly, you say... so what?).

Kudos to George! Prime example of why dog is man's best friend :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
The problem is that there are pitbulls in tons of the lovable mutts that people run around with and see on TV. My parents are shocked when I start pointing out all the mutts that have pit in them. And the fact that most people can't identify a pit, and often mistake boxers for pits is frightening to say the least.

But back to the point. George was heroic and did a good thing.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good little doggie, George. Made me mist-eyed for my Jack Russell, Fred, who was the best dog I ever had. (Aw, hell. Made me cry.)

Bad owners make bad dogs. Too bad they won't let us put the bad owners down. :(