Dundee is a classy city all right #2

Reaction score
Why do I witness an incident of fuckwittery every time I board one of this fine *cough* city's buses?

Am I a twat-magnet? Or could it be that each and every public conveyance is manned by a succession of increasingly unlucid loons?

Today's story:

While returning from the library, optician's, council tax office and bookstore (at which place I purchased this), I encountered such a specimen of stinking vomititiousness that my gag reflex responded in a way I had not encountered since I last had a boyfriend*.

His odour (eau de whoops-I'm-so-drunk-I-pissed-myself) preceded him by about ten feet, as did his voice. I say 'voice' when I actually mean incoherent, drunken growling.

I believe this specimen of Dundonian marvellousness propositioned the conductor and frotted him as he passed. Not a good idea when this is the same guy (the conductor that is) who boards random buses and asks if he can fondle your ticket. He claims it's his job but personally I reckon it's a sexual perversion.

So, the drunken example of care-in-the-community walked - nay, staggered - nay, poured himself - towards the back of the bus where I lurked, hiding behind my poetry anthology desperately trying to look unattractive. Regardez my avatar. A difficult task, I'm sure you'll agree.

I used my carrier bag full of library books and my Waterstone's purchase as a barbed-wire fence to keep him from the No Man's Land of free seating and luckily his double vision must have convinced him there were two of me/us sitting there as he carried on walking/staggering/pouring himself.

Or it could have been he was full of the momentum of the drunken pensioner and could only stop his movement when his face met with the back windscreen of the bus.

Upon such a thud, the bus moved off and the conductor bade a fond farewell to the driver and moved among the great unwashed to check we had all paid our fares. You are allowed to be drunk as a fiddler's bitch on Dundee transport as long as you pay your way, I see.

The conductor finally confronted the drunken, piss-stained, odorous malcontent at the back of the vehicle whereupon he was propositioned/asked for a date. I believe the drunken mumbling translated as, "You gonna be in the pub later, doll?"

At least, I suspect so, from the way the slightly more articulate conductor offered to eject him from the premises unless he kept his hands to himself and STFU.

Ah me...life in this city...who'd live it?

*'Large' Iain.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yes but were you able to look beyond the appearance/smell/vomit/sounds/pathetic fall down shit in his pants drunkeness, and into his soul?

Reaction score
I was reluctant to do so as I suspected looking into his soul would mean having his liquid breakfast poured all over my freshly-laundered outfit.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Whew-glad you came to your senses girl-even as overloaded with perfumery as they were-cannot have those lovely laundered outfits messed up. Is it not strange that bum and bum is not a lawyers office but rather two words so different in meaning. One as you have stated-the other? One of heavenly delights!

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I've had similar experiences as you know. Travel Dundee is a bit of a lout-magnet. But most cities are like this. Wait until you go to Manhattan and ride the PATH only to be accosted by two guys selling peanut M&Ms out of a box they just yanked from a street vendor, all the while preaching the many and varied reasons as to why this city is 'so fucked up' as you peer curiously at the gentlemen's waistband, transfixed by the blocky outline of what could certainly be a Glock 17.

(Happened on my second day in New York, I swear.)

Reaction score
I have a feeling this thread could be the second in a looooong series.

Funnily enough, I thought of you while posting it, Chris. I knew the scent of a moving urinal commonly known as a 'Dundee bus' would draw you out. :D

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I actually didn't see Dundee thread #1. Have to go and have a look.

By the way, that book you bought, is it--

the very informative, "Think And Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill

or

the more sarcastic, "Think and Grow. Rich" by Napoleon Hill

The colours are confusing me. :)

Reaction score
If it's good enough for Peter Ebdon to recommend, it's good enough for me, you cheeky young whippersnapper. (Fat lot of good it did him, upon meeting Mark Selby across the green baize this year).

I am allowed to call you a whippersnapper as we now reside in different decades of our lives.

And cities.

Were you still here, I doubt you would be such an upstart! ;)

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
If it's good enough for Peter Ebdon to recommend, it's good enough for me, you cheeky young whippersnapper. (Fat lot of good it did him, upon meeting Mark Selby across the green baize this year).

I am allowed to call you a whippersnapper as we now reside in different decades of our lives.

And cities.

Were you still here, I doubt you would be such an upstart! ;)

I'm desperately clinging to my upstartedness and refusing to let go. :(

Reaction score
It's endearing really. ;)

And it serves as the perfect foil for my manic tendencies. :D

Reaction score
On urine-stained buses while having your upstartedness insulted by mentally unstable women?

Reaction score
Why did you ever leave!

Oh...was it the repo-men and the court injunction again?

Poor Chris. :(

Reaction score
I once dated a man from Arbroath. He both looked like a fish and smelled like one.

Then I got contact lenses, and used pipe cleaners to unblock my nose.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I liked living there, I really did. Being at university was a huge help but I made amazing friends that I still keep in touch with four years after leaving. It's not perfect but whatever is?

At least it's a city and there's places for you to get food after midnight. If I wanted a sandwich after nightfall, I'd have to go into a field and kill something.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Ain't no fields in Dundee except The Law. But you sure as hell could find some animal to kill up there - if you're not killed first.

Reaction score
There are fields of a sort right across from my house.

Well...wasteland where the wild things roam and I go a-hunting when I can't be bothered trekking up to Asda. The foaming at the mouth's a bit suspect...but the animals don't seem to mind it. ;)

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Why don't you two just get on the damn stinky bus and have at it-cheese-just bum jealous elderly person having a bit of a rant and a snort!!!