Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
There's global warming, the bees are dying, and... the exclamation marks are multiplying!!! (Yes, yes, I cringed.)

Writers, PLEASE, stop the madness. One exclamation mark is enough to show how frustrated/shocked/aghast you are. Two or three only make you look stupid.

Ditto for question marks. Okay??

That's all. Thank you.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Great announcement!!!!!!!!

:D

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wnt to know what happened to the "Interabang", a proposed punctuation mark that includes "?" and "!" in one mark?

It seems to still live:
You can find an interrobang in Microsoft Word's Fonts. Go to Format, choose Fonts, then Wingdings 2. You'll find 4 different versions of the interrobang. Hit the ` ~ key, the ] } key, the 6 ^ key, or the - _ key.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
> !!

Nerd humor. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wnt to know what happened to the "Interabang", a proposed punctuation mark that includes "?" and "!" in one mark?

I don't mind it one bit (except when it's used in chat like this: ?!?!?!?!?!?!). But that again comes down to my original gripe-- why use so many when one will do the job?

The reason I got annoyed to the point of making this posting is that I'm now seeing "!!!" and "??" on websites and publications that cater to writers! It's bad enough when it's done in blogs and personal e-mails, but when professional writers do it in publications for writers, we've hit a new low.

Rant over. Carry on then.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the usage of exclamations has reached the point of absurdity. I think the problem is the overuse in regular conversation. The ! has become so commonplace in emails and blogs and on the web, it appears to many as not being enough emphasis. When they really REALLY really mean it, they feel they should use more than one. When they only really mean it, just two suffice.

When they're asking about the price of tea in China, one does the trick.

That's my guess, anyway. I was taught to use one and only one. And only use it when necessary. :Shrug:

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
It's sort of like the use of ...
So many people do ....................................
LOL three is enough!

Now I'm gonna be on the lookout for all of those things as I go about my day.
Thanks, Mridu :tongue

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Typically in the online gaming community, an excessive amount of ! or ? is usually done for humorous effect. It portrays exaggeration (sometimes sarcasm) in a place where we can't use italics or underline. Which then leaks over into real world applications, unfortunately.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I think it's fine in any informal setting. But when I do formal writing I will stick with the standards:

?
and
!
and
. . .
and
. . . .

I consider this place an informal setting, so I have no problem doing:

!!!!!!!
and
???
and

And I also don't give too much of a rat's posterior about my typos and misspellings here either. I will SOMETIMES give a post here "the polish" but I really don't have time for such a fuss on a message board.

My blog I will spell check. But I also will sometimes get silly with ????? and !!!! on my blog if I feel the post is already humorous or tongue-in-cheek enough.

E-mails?

Professional e-mails I spell check and use correct punctuation in. But informal e-mails I have no problem getting silly about. (And YES, I just ended two sentences in a row with prepositions! :p :p )

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree, Plot Device. You'll find an e-mail or two when I've done the same as well. But when you're trying to put out a respectable publication or writing for one, I think it's unacceptable.

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
There's global warming, the bees are dying, and... the exclamation marks are multiplying!!! (Yes, yes, I cringed.)

Writers, PLEASE, stop the madness. One exclamation mark is enough to show how frustrated/shocked/aghast you are. Two or three only make you look stupid.

Ditto for question marks. Okay??

That's all. Thank you.

Okay. Take a deep breath. Breath out. All is well. All is well.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The same could be said about ending sentences with preposition, and using sentence fragments.

I certainly KNOW the rules, but I break them at my whim (and admittedly at my peril) if I feel the situation allows me (and my creativity/rebelliousness) to do so.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
One exclamation point is one too many. You hear me, James Patterson?(??)

Unless you're putting them in dialogue. It's equally painful to read something like: "'You dirty ape,' the man shouted."

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
If only I had the slightest idea how to do it, I could get rich on my invention (which I just now thunk up in response to your post, KitKat). I'd create a keyboard that locks out consecutive exclamation points or combinations of ?!

It would be mandatory in every classroom.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If only I had the slightest idea how to do it, I could get rich on my invention (which I just now thunk up in response to your post, KitKat).

So I'd get 50% then, yeah?

I'll admit to using and maybe even liking the "?!". It looks sexy to me (hey, don't look at me like that). Anyway, yeah, I'll sometimes use it in informal conversation, especially since I do IM a lot. But multiple instances drive me batty.

In my very humble opinion (ha ha), while I agree that rules can and should be broken, using "???" instead of "?" doesn't strike me as particularly creative and I don't see a logical reason for this particular rule to be broken. And this comes from someone who loves to break the rules (see, I even started my sentence with an "and").

Status
Not open for further replies.